campbell hausfeld air chisel

/ campbell hausfeld air chisel #1  

snapper

Bronze Member
Found me a mid range ch chisel tonight at wal mart for 20 bucks. Two year warranty and a 2 5/8" stroke. Definately a step up from my bottom of the line air chisel.. Even though it draws more air it is actually easier on my compressor because it is more powerful and doesn't take as long to do the job. Now did i get a decent chisel?? What about the stroke, is it bout the same as the pro models?? And any thing else you might want to add.

Later snapper..

/ campbell hausfeld air chisel #2  
Did you get a set of chisels with it for that price? I think you probably did. And I suspect you'll be happy with it. You can go to irtools.com and see what theirs retail for. The only thing wrong with that Campbell-Hausfeld is the fact that if it ever breaks, you'll either have a hard time finding parts, or they'll cost more than it's worth. I've repaired an awful lot of air hammers (or chisels, if you prefer) of a wide variety of brands and models and they're actually much simpler to repair than most air tools and while there are differences in the number of impacts per minute, lengths of the barrel (or stroke), size and weight of the piston, whether or not they're adjustable, shank size, and one of two different types of valve, I've never seen enough difference in them to account for the fantastic difference in the prices. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I repaired several of those IR132 models, and nearly fell off my stool the first time I heard what a new valve cost. They're good and lots of mechanics had them (most only paid around $600 instead of that $799 retail), but I think yours is better for the price difference. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ campbell hausfeld air chisel
it had no chisels with it. I got it for twenty bucks cause it was on clearence. I have had my eye on it for a while. The one i had before i bought before i fully understood scfm and stroke length. Mine old one had a real short stroke. I thought you scfm had to match the air compressors. (like 110 volt tools got to be plugged into a 110 outlet, so to speak) Then i lived and learned. This one has a longer stroke which is much better.. It does have a regulator built in. It is all aluminum (i think), even the trigger is metal. Nice chisel for the price.. I just busted some concrete off of a post like butter. On a side note, since i acquired my oiless compressor i have been using it for the quick stuff and saving my big un for lots of grinding or chiseling..

Thanks all..

/ campbell hausfeld air chisel #4  
Bird:

Several days ago I was having trouble with my impact wrench. It wouldn't turn. It had four bolts holding the back plate on. On removal of this plate I found an identical loose bolt in the passages on the plate. Completly took it apart, wiped it out, oiled it up and reasembled it. Worked just like it used to. Still wondering what the bolt was doing as there was no place to install it. Of course this tool is of such high quality the manufacturer feels everyone should know their product so didn't bother placeing their name on it.

Egon

/ campbell hausfeld air chisel #5  
Egon, I'd like to see that tool. Sounds like a knock off of the CP734; lots of them around. If it was a complete bolt, head and all, I can't think of where it came from unless someone got careless in the original assembly and dropped a spare one in there.

/ campbell hausfeld air chisel #6  
They always give you spare parts don't they? At least that is what I tell myself when I have parts left over after putting something back together. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ campbell hausfeld air chisel #7  
That's why you need a filter on your air line..! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ campbell hausfeld air chisel #8  
Bird:
Complete allen head bolt. Exactly the same size as the four that held the back plate on. Other than the trigger or forward/reverse all the internals come out the back.
Egon

/ campbell hausfeld air chisel #9  
Very common design, Egon, I just can't imagine how an extra bolt got in there unless it was during assembly. Did you put motor oil in the front end when you put it back together?

/ campbell hausfeld air chisel #10  
Bird:
Just filled it up with commpressor crankcase oil.

Egon