Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE Hydro

Default Re: Little Giant Extreme ladder?

As far as the video...I think the Little Giant is leaned on the wrong side..the hinges should be facing you. Look at the treads in the last part of the video...they have the side you put your feet on facing the house.
    2008 KIOTI DK40Se Hydro
    1978 Sling Blade/wood handle

Elite Member
    Tractor
    GC2310,

Quote Originally Posted by MotorSeven View Post
    As far as the video...I think the Little Giant is leaned on the wrong side..the hinges should be facing you. Look at the treads in the last part of the video...they have the side you put your feet on facing the house.
    According to this video from Little Giant, they seem to be using them correctly: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nor7IpbZS4]Little Giant Ladder Safety - YouTube[/ame]

Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

Quote Originally Posted by ray66v View Post
    There are a number of videos that demonstrate how people were injured by little giant ladders.

Little Giant ladder test-No surprise as it FAILS AGAIN! - YouTube
    That guy sounds like he got a lawsuit against LG. Mentions something about "an attorney" at the end

Of course hes going to make it look as bad as possible.

I got a LG as mentioned. Im a pretty big guy and i cant make it flex like that. It's very stable. And im comparing it to industrial fiberglass featherlights.

Tractor
    2005 Kubota L5030 GST; Farmall 706

I bought a Gorilla like others have mentioned. Aside from a step stool, it's the only ladder that I keep at the house. I would have bought the Little Giant, but at the time the Gorilla was cheaper.

Both are heavy, but as others have said - that's a good thing.

Having a wide stance at both ends makes the ladder very stable when extended as an extension ladder.
    Dean

Tractor
    JD2520, JD650

My MIL got one of the LG ladders ~10 years ago. She was always picking up the latest gimmick from infomercials. Before using it I thought that she had just thrown away some good money. After using the LG for everything at her house from picking apples, to cleaning gutters, putting up Christmas decorations, etc I told my wife that I might like to get one of those for my birthday. That was 6 or 7 years ago and I remain a happy customer. I agree that they are a bit heavy, but would rather have the inherent sturdiness!

Frank

Tractor
    LS XR3037HC

I have a Werner type 1A 300lb rated 21'er. I have no problems with it. It is awkward to move around and lift in the extended position but no more than a regular straight ladder. I also agree with MotorSeven that the ladder in the video is reversed. On my ladder the hinges face you. On the Little Giant the hinges face away according to the LG video.
    I've used mine in all types of configurations and it feels more stable than a typical step or extension type ladder.

Quote Originally Posted by ray66v View Post
    You missed the entire point, they also set up an old Werner ladder right next to the Little Giant to demonstrate the problem, and it worked fine.

It's easy to assume the problem is the driveway. But, if you actually watch the video, even the Little Giant ladder does not slip from the snow.

There is an inherent problem with these ladders.

Like I said, there are other videos. No incline or snow here:

Little Giant Ladder FAILS to perform! - YouTube
    OK, Ray, I went back and wasted the time to watch all the video; all 3 in fact. And nope, I don't think I missed the point at all. If I set out to make something fail, as they obviously did, it WILL fail. Are those Werner employees?

Now I'm by no means defending the Little Giant; never used one. But I had to go check and my Gorilla ladder is just the 13 foot model #AL-13, and yes, it does have a little slack in the hinge. I don't think it has as much slack as those two videos show in the Little Giant, but some. And as with any ladder, a little common sense is advisable if you're going to use one.

But I appreciate you posting the videos because they do show what CAN happen, so it's good information.
    Bird

Tractor
    Kubota B20

No one ladder is perfect for anything and a compacted 25' ladder will be very stable on almost any ground. BTW I would never climb a ladder setup on hard inclined surfaces without something keeping the bottom for
    Kicking out

Incidentally, if buying American is important to you, maybe the Little Giant is made in America. The manual for my Gorilla ladder clearly states "Made in China".
    Bird

Tractor
    Kubota M8540HDC, L5740HSTC, BX2200, BX2660, John Deere 425&1025R, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

I no longer use ladders, but my son loves his LG.
    "An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it." - Jef Mallett

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast