Coyotes - too close?

/ Coyotes - too close? #21  
Over the years, we have lost a couple of small dogs that we suspect the coyotes are responsible for. Yesterday, the dogs returned the favor:

Image0090.jpg

I had heard the dogs barking like they were after a 'coon. By the time I walked back there, they had finished the encounter and quieted down.

OTOH, last winter I found a pair of coyotes within 50' of where the horses were grazing. The horses were totally ignoring the coyotes so obviously they didn't feel there was any threat.

Ken

/ Coyotes - too close? #22  
We have coyotes around us but so far they have not caused us problems. When we first moved to our place I saw a coyote one morning trotting down the driveway. He saw us, stopped, went into the wood line, watched us. THAT bothered me. My dad brought up a coyote caller later on and he called in a coyote. Unfortunately he had take my GSD we him, and she chased off the coyote. :eek:

I have not see one since. I do hear them from time to time but not often. There is a power line south of us and I think they use that as a highway. I hear them off in that direction but no longer see them around our house.

I do not buy that shooting them does not control them. It does. It might not control the population but if it takes out the more brazen animals and keeps them off your property or away from what you value, then there is control.

Later,
Dan

/ Coyotes - too close? #23  
A friend of mine has llamas and alpacas. Her dog got in their area, and they had one llama hold its attention while the other two were boxing it in. They were going to take it out. She was able to get in there and get him out but it was a close call.
Guard Llamas
this site has some good testimonials.

/ Coyotes - too close? #24  
This old guy in the photos below is fearless. I've seen him with a smaller companion, just moving along after he realized that I walked around the barn and found him there.

Good Mornin California,
I have to wonder how fearless hewould be in the sights of my Ruger 22-250 ! ;)

Have your gun ready, and when not in line with your city neighbor dweller,pay him a visit ! :)

The sheep farmer up the street from me took one out attempting to gain entry to his chicken coop..... the coyote lost !

/ Coyotes - too close? #25  
We have been living with coyotes for many years.We shoot on sight,which is not very often.There are some locals that run them with hounds...they kill hundreds every year.Our coyotes can be pretty large,DNA test show wolf hybrids,up to sixty pounds.Once you have coyotes you will never be rid of them.

/ Coyotes - too close? #26  
We have been living with coyotes for many years.We shoot on sight,which is not very often.There are some locals that run them with hounds...they kill hundreds every year.Our coyotes can be pretty large,DNA test show wolf hybrids,up to sixty pounds.Once you have coyotes you will never be rid of them.

I sure believe that, I would just like to cut the population down a bit. My brother loses cats to them as well as a couple of dogs.

/ Coyotes - too close? #27  
They took out all my ducks a couple of times, so I don't keep ducks anymore. I am getting ready to start raising chickens, and know that I will have to be very good a designing a pen and hen house that is coyote proof. I also keep loaded 22's in both the shop and the house, to help deal with this problem.

/ Coyotes - too close? #28  
Good Mornin California,
I have to wonder how fearless hewould be in the sights of my Ruger 22-250 ! ;)

Have your gun ready, and when not in line with your city neighbor dweller,pay him a visit ! :)

The sheep farmer up the street from me took one out attempting to gain entry to his chicken coop..... the coyote lost !

Always been my favorite varmint round. A Remington 40X with a 12 power target scope will reach out and take care of the problem.

/ Coyotes - too close? #29  
They took out all my ducks a couple of times, so I don't keep ducks anymore. I am getting ready to start raising chickens, and know that I will have to be very good a designing a pen and hen house that is coyote proof. I also keep loaded 22's in both the shop and the house, to help deal with this problem.

I raise pheasant,about 1500 a year.The best thing I every did to keep out predators is a two strand electric fence.One strand at six inches and another at two ft.Mine is set up with a dusk/dawn timer..don't have to worry about kids or dogs at the fence.Another thing to do is bury about a foot of wire around the outside.I had a lot more problems with raccoons than coyotes or fox.Net the top to keep the hawks and owls out.

/ Coyotes - too close? #30  
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQbXSl1ReuQ]Trixxie being attacked by a coyote and rescued by Happy - YouTube[/ame]