Best material for a faily steep hill

/ Best material for a faily steep hill #1  

Carl Bert

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B26, John deere X595
I have a pretty steep incline leading to my back property. My B26 is constantly digging up the dirt, which I am always replacing. Other then blacktop, what's the best choice of material to use? I have a large amount of 3/4" cut stone, just not sure how well that would work. Any suggestions?

image-264167438.jpg

image-2399267216.jpg

/ Best material for a faily steep hill #2  
Just keep on doing what you are doing. Or spend money on asphalt/concrete.:thumbsup:

/ Best material for a faily steep hill #3  
On similar slopes, we use 2" crushed rock. We put it on really thin, pack it then put more on top. On a spillway, we used 6" minus topped by 2".

The picture is in progress and was done by a friend with his JD 7000 and 4610 eHydro.

/ Best material for a faily steep hill #4  
Crushed rock, probably 4" plus is the classic inexpensive solution.

If you are not in a hurry and don't mind a little hand work, and assuming you have rocks available (looks like there is a little in the photos):

Throw stone into wheel tracks when the ground is soft. Drive over it, and repeat. Rock gets driven into the ground and becomes firmly bound and actually rut-proof.

Your wheel tracks will be solid like cement, and the rest of the road can be seeded to grass. Done correctly no rock will stick up and the road can be mowed.