What is your "Debt Free Date"

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / What is your "Debt Free Date" #1  

twinjayhawks

Silver Member
Tractor
Century 3045
I did some research on the internet on Percentage of Americans with Mortgages... I am not sure if this is correct but it's probably close:

1999 62% with Mortgages
2011 90% estimated with Mortgages

My father told me when he was a kid it was very rare for anyone to have a mortgage (1940's). I know he grew up in a rural area so that probably changes as you move to the cities.

Bottom line... I think with the way the economy is today and where it seems to be headed that being debt free is the only option. Our Debt free day is 1/1/18 if I don't pay any extra with the payments. I hope to make that date 1/1/15 if everything goes right. My debt is just for my land since I have built our home with cash.

What is your opinion on this and what is your "Debt Free Date"?

/ What is your "Debt Free Date" #2  
Congratulations on your restraint.Sounds like you have a plan..stick to it.
I haven't had a mortgage in eight years,paid it off early...it was only 15 years to start.Only debt we have is a car and that is done November 2012 if i don't go early on that.
As note:around here(northern NY) as long ago as the 1960's you could buy 100 acres and an old farm house for $10,000,and the banks wouldn't lend any more than that.Things sure change,our land is cheap compared to the rest of the country at $1500 an acre now.

/ What is your "Debt Free Date" #4  
Hopefully before the end of 2012. We are building on our rural property in SC, and doing it all out-of-pocket. If we can sell the FL house, we will be debt-free. If not, I guess we'll rent it.

/ What is your "Debt Free Date" #5  
Mine was in 2005. I paid off the note for my land and built my house for cash. It's a small house, but I keep working on making in nicer every year. Being self employed, not having a mortgage is how I sleep at nights. Before paying off the land, I was in a panic more then once when work was slow or a deal didn't go through like it was supposed to. Now that was STRESS!!!!!!!

Eddie

/ What is your "Debt Free Date" #6  
My only real debt is the tractor & attachments. It will be paid off by march. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Smooth sailing after that. Will only be doing what I can pay cash for.:D

/ What is your "Debt Free Date" #7  
I became debt free August 2010, paid off my mortgage on my house in California. Than did what I had always wanted, went and bought acreage in my born state, Tennessee, near where my brother retired. 110 acres of hunting, haying, future crops when I get the time. Now, sadly, no longer debt free, but refi'd my place in California to buy it cash and get one deed, and took a 15. paying it off extra to get that down to 10.
The way I figure it, it is a lot better investment for my future than the stock market, and my mental health. :thumbsup:

/ What is your "Debt Free Date"
Being self employed, not having a mortgage is how I sleep at nights. Before paying off the land, I was in a panic more then once when work was slow or a deal didn't go through like it was supposed to. Now that was STRESS!!!!!!!

I know how you feel. We are also self employed and the ups and downs is SOOO STRESSFUL. Having a small mortgage really helps. Being debt free would be even better.

We live in a vert affluent community and the thought of debt free is looked on as CRAZY. Everyone around us is building the biggest house possible to impress the other crazies. Sometimes it is good to be weird... debt free is weird to most today but that is what we feel is right. We might not have the nicest house but the bank can't take it either...

/ What is your "Debt Free Date" #9  
I know how you feel. We are also self employed and the ups and downs is SOOO STRESSFUL. Having a small mortgage really helps. Being debt free would be even better.

We live in a vert affluent community and the thought of debt free is looked on as CRAZY. Everyone around us is building the biggest house possible to impress the other crazies. Sometimes it is good to be weird... debt free is weird to most today but that is what we feel is right. We might not have the nicest house but the bank can't take it either...

My first wife was a title officer and she used to specialize in refi's for the Doctors in a high dollar golf course neighborhood. They would refi just so they could skip a month or two of payments because they where so far in debt that they couldn't pay their bills with a $50,000 a month income!!!!!!!!!

Seems to me that when you have that kind of debt, it's time to cut down on a few of the vacations, brand new cars, parties and decorating. But then I'm making a living from those very people who feel obsessed with outdoing their neighbors and friends.

Eddie

/ What is your "Debt Free Date" #10  
I'm 29 and trying my best to save to put at least 35% down with a higher target of 50%

Slowly, but surely, the FIRE economy is whithering away...and that's a good thing, IMO.

Congrats to all those that have no debt and to those working hard to end their debt.

Status
Not open for further replies.