Christmas (after) sale....HD

/ Christmas (after) sale....HD #1  

chopped

Veteran Member
Seems like I dont want to even go to the stores anymore. :DToday I entered Home Depot as I alwasy do abnd the person there greted me and steered me to the '''75 ''percent of christmas stuff...
Not intending to but, I found some lights that the sticker tag under it said $7.49
Naturally as with most store I assume that the 75 percent off was from the original price.So I grabbed a few boxes and a few other items.
Then upon checkout, they all acanned the ''wrong'' price.They checked and that those were the right prices so I left them behind..
Loaded ther lumber and headed in for another look . The sign clearely said 75 percent off, and then an employee came by and asked if I needed help.
I asked about the 75 percent and wondered how an iten could have a ''was'' price of15 some dollars and then have 75 taken off it to come to $7.49?? He said ha???And then got a return rep to come look she said yes sir it says its 75 percent off so its 75 percent off. I said its more like 50 percent of. Is it possible it was marked own again to 75 and just didnt get entered into the data? She said again its 75 percent off.
:confused2::confused2::confused2:
The played with their little computer thingys and then they questioned themselves.The dept head told me that 75 percent want always 75 percent off the original price it could be 75 percent off the already reduced 50 percent:confused::confused2:
He also said that an item might sell for 10 dollars usually and it would be adjusted to close to 12 dollars so when the 75 or 50 percent was taken off it would still be more that if the percent was off the original christmas price.
at any rate , I smiled and laughed a bit and exited. It really got me to thinking.Raise the price and then mark it down . all in the name of christmas sales.Seems so close to me to being mislead..Maybe they should try to be a lumber yard..
All this is sad for me as I like Home Depot so much I prefere it over Lowes.
Thanks for letting me rant.... Its a sign of the times lol:cool:

/ Christmas (after) sale....HD #2  
Here is a retail trick.
The first two weeks a product comes out say...hunting clothing it will be marked up an additional amount over the normal 1-200% mark up. Then there will be a sale saying
50.00 off, then again remember this is the normal selling price. As the season goes on it will be marked down more and more.
The way you can normally tell if its on sale.
if it ends in
.99 its regular price or as above on sale from being marked up.
.98 actually a sale price
.97 clearence price.
This was normally how we were able to figure out what was on sale when I was working retail sales.

/ Christmas (after) sale....HD #3  
While it is correct that 75% off does not always mean from original price, the bad news for that manager is that 75% off of a price already 50% off from original will be 87.5% off original.

The discount from original price will alway be a higher price than the same discount off an already discounted price.

They screwed up and put the sign on some stuff that was not supposed to be on sale for that discount yet. Most likely the 75% sales does not start til next week. :p

/ Christmas (after) sale....HD
Yes
""They screwed up and put the sign on some stuff that was not supposed to be on sale for that discount yet. Most likely the 75% sales does not start til next week. ''
Thats just what happened.. They took down the signs as I stood there , but today I noticed they were again up at the end of the aisles..But they did admit it wasnt in effect till Jan1 2012

/ Christmas (after) sale....HD #5  
I am only 60 years old, but I can remember when Math was called "Arithmetic". We learned to add, subtract and calculate without the use of pre programmed computerized retail cash registers;etc. One example: I bought an item at a store recently and the total came to $15.23. I gave the clerk $20.23. He asked me why I gave him that amount and not just a Twenty dollar bill. I advised him that by doing this, I would receive a Five dollar bill back in change. He was confused and attempted to give me my 23 cents back. He was very adamant and advised me that this was the wrong way to conduct the transaction. :confused: When my Wife was employed, perspective job applicants would approach her desk, asking her to assist them in filling out their applications in regards to the simple questions. I am referring to High School graduates. A prerequisite of employment there was a minimal of graduation from High School. It is definitely apparent that the present public education system in this Country can be classified as a failure. Just my thoughts.