Garden over the Leech Field?

/ Garden over the Leech Field? #1  

BigDave

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC33D
I not sure if this is strange question or not. Is it safe and/or wise to put a garden over the leech field of our septic system? Should there be county regulations that I need to research?

A little bit of background: It is the only flat land of any decent size on our property, & the misses said I could buy a 3pt tiller which I might also use to turn over the entire yard to rid it of the rocks and get some decent grass growing, but it just doesn't seem right to me.

Any thoughts out there?

/ Garden over the Leech Field? #2  
Might depend on how deep the leach field is burried, however, I'd be leary of it. Flowers, yes... vegetables, I don't know. The grass over my leach field is no different than the grass in the rest of the yard. No greener or thicker, so I think all of my water drains down, away from the surface. The guy that had the house before us always planted onions over the septic tank. He said they grew best there because of the fertilizer. However, the septic tanks are sealed. Nothing can come out of them. It all goes to the the leach field. I think the veggies grew better over the septic tank because the soil was dug up three feet down every two years to empty the tanks. That provided nice, lose soil for them to grown in and that's it.

This will be an interesting thread to watch.

/ Garden over the Leech Field? #3  
I don't know about a garden over my leach field , my cannas(sp?) do very well though.
mine has gravel in the bed i guess you could plant in the gravel.

Now my wife wanted a garden near the house and living on a hill i had to terrace it.
i actually am just finishing it. i have to have dirt brought in this week.
i have a spot away from the house about 200 yards and she says thats to far. thats my garden.

back to leach fields my buddy the plumber claims the water that comes out is good enough to drink . i don't think i will try. though.

/ Garden over the Leech Field? #4  
Big Dave. I don't think that I would do it, but not for the reason you're thinking. I'm sure that the liquid from the leach lines drain down far below the roots of most vegetables, BUT I wouldn't want to compact the leach field deep down by repeated passes with a tractor. That will lead to future leach field problems, particularly if you have clay or clay loam soil. (having said this, I just realized that I always mow the grass over my leach field so maybe this isn't such a problem after all)

/ Garden over the Leech Field? #5  
I would not plant a garden over a septic system. Depending on the leech field (drain field) it could be installed shallow enough that you could actually till into the working system and cause it to fail. That would make for a very expensive tomato. Loosening the ground above the system could cause sediment, or the loosened particles of dirt to start working their way down to start plugging it up. As far as driving over the system, you are basically driving on a crust, say 12" thick.
If you till the ground 8" then the crust would be 4". You could think of it as driving on a frozen lake. Would you rather drive on 12" of ice or 4" of ice covered by 8" of snow?

<font color="red"> my buddy the plumber claims the water that comes out is good enough to drink </font>
Has he ever dug into a drain field? Open the clean-out cover on the drain field and smell, my stomach has never been strong enough to consider drinking that.

/ Garden over the Leech Field? #6  
I'd be concerned about running a tiller over the leech field. Those rocks you'll hit are an integral part of the drainage system (you should have pipe surrounded by rocks and the rocks should come up pretty close to the surface - and getting rid of them isn't good).

I don't think I'd worry about the water quality. I check my inspection hatches in the drain field every year or so (I like to disturb the black widows that live in the caps /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif). I don't think I'd put my hand down there, but the smell isn't too bad. Not a whole lot worse than my compost heap, so the water must be fairly clean.

I wouldn't drink it, either, though /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. But it would probably be great fertilizer...

/ Garden over the Leech Field? #7  
motelman i didnt say he was a sane friend.

i have watched him work on septic lines before . he's crazy no gloves just gets in there . he says it washes off! nope not me !
the one thing he hates in plumbing is grease traps. i have to agree.

i know on my leach field , which is on the side of a hill, the grass grows three times as fast the rest of the my property. i cleaned out the old dead cannas about two weeks ago and the new ones are just growing like crazy now. from bulbs!

whats worse chicken litter or cow manure or human waste as fertilizer?
I know in korea they used human waste but not american waste. why? they said our food is to rich and burns the crop.
thats what i was told!

/ Garden over the Leech Field? #8  
I agree with MossRoad, planting lawn and flowers (no woody vegetation) over your leach typically will not cause any real issues. Vegetables you really want to think about it. Like it or not we humans are filthy animals. Nitrates, phosphates, coliform and heavy metals (trace amounts) all can be found in human waste. Nitrogen and phosphorus most vegetation loves it in moderate amounts. In the soil beneath and surrounding your leaching system, over time the nitrates, phosphates and heavy metals will build up. Your body thought it was a good idea to get rid of this stuff, do you really want it back?

Additionally, the good little bugs that we all find in our leaching system love oxygen. Anything that can disrupt the free exchange of oxygen through the ground surface and the air (i.e.: compaction of soil over system) will deminish the ability of all the good little bugs to treat the wastewater.

Just my thoughts,
engineer

/ Garden over the Leech Field? #9  
I can't help but be reminded of a book by Erma Bombeck entitled, appropriately enough, 'The Grass is Always Greener Over the Septic Tank.' /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Garden over the Leech Field? #10  
I wouldn't do it. Not so much because of what comes out of a septic system, but you would be likely to damage the system: its not that far down, and you could likely squish the pipes just by driving over them with the tractor (unless, you are talking about an itty bitty lawn tractor).