magic jack plus

/ magic jack plus #1  

heehaw

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M4900, B7510 and RTV
i have been wanting to try the infomercial magic jack for years, and now i have.
i got one for Christmas, installed it yesterday: and i have a mixed review: the problem
is you cannot get a phone number in the area i wanted it, so i had to settle for one
that is a long distance call from here: it seems to work ok, does cut out some on
occasion, but not for very long: the sound quality is as good as any phone i have
ever used: except on one call, for about 10 seconds, when i received a call, i could
not figure out who i was talking to, then it cleared, and was fine the rest of the call.
i sure wouldn't consider getting rid of my land line and replacing it with the magic jack, unless i up the speed of my dsl: i have a 1.5M line, and that solved the problems
mentioned: but for $30 a year, it might be handy to have a second line so i can make
calls and not interfere with the rest of the family using the phone.
heehaw

/ magic jack plus #2  
Good luck with that thing, I have never heard anyone on one that I wanted to talk to for any length of time....very frustrating.

/ magic jack plus #3  
I have had a magic jack for several years, the old one and the new mjplus. While the quality is acceptable the older one was a bit problematic, it would cut in and out and echo on occasion. The new plus one works a whole lot better and does not require hook up to your computer, just attach it to your router. The mj is perfect for listing stuff on Craig's list etc. nice to have a phone line that you can choose to ignore and still get voice mail via email. Dont know if I would rely on it as my sole method of communication for 911 and reverse 911 a land line is best for that. That said in my new house we still are using cell phones and a mjplus without a land line and are having no problems so far. I think its worth the money but does have its limits.

/ magic jack plus #4  
My only experience with Magic Jack was that I gave my cell number to someone and their Magic Jack could not call my number. FAIL

/ magic jack plus
its just another option: but would not want it to be my main phone line: but then i feel the same about cell phones: the mjp is far better than any conversation i have ever had on any cell phone: their advertisements are really misleading: you cannot take your phone number to the mjp, or pick any area etc etc: the areas in Arkansas are very limited, i may hook it to my printer/scanner/fax and use it as a fax line?? which i really don't use very often, but it would be worth $30 a year to have a dedicated line to use for that: plus could still make calls on it when i wanted/needed to. the other thing, give out that number, and i "don't think" they can look up your address??? will have to do some more checking on that one??
heehaw

/ magic jack plus #6  
Skype video calls are free via another email address. That's all I need.

/ magic jack plus #7  
Someone gave me a magic jack for Christmas two years ago. I liked it a lot. The sound was better than most cell phones. I used it to call my siblings all over the country toll free. I plug in an old touch tone desk phone that is very sturdy and feels like a REAL telephone! :laughing:

I didn't renew it because my work gave me a cell phone with free long distance. If it ever goes away, I'll go back to the magic jack.

/ magic jack plus #8  
I use a pay as you go cell so my MJ gets used when I want to yap at someone or save a few bucks. I also find the sound quality, even with its quirks, is better than my cell phone. I had some issues in the early days and had stopped using it for a month or two and then it sounded great.
Maybe a year ago I noticed it would cut off a call at 2 hours. Now talking to my GF, who lives out of state, it cuts off at 1.5 hours and will not let me dial her number back for about 5 minutes.

/ magic jack plus #9  
Skype video calls are free via another email address. That's all I need.

Yep, was in Europe for over a month back in 2009. College aged niece joined me and had it downloaded onto her netbook and her Ipod. Calling computer to computer to someone that also had Skype downloaded on their electronic device was free. Calling someone on their landline cost either 2 or 4 cents a minute depending upon what country we were in. Total cost of making calls from Europe for 5 weeks was $2.35, and this, from a 19 y/o college kid who made a LOT of calls. Can't beat it!

/ magic jack plus #10  
I've got the Ooma box for my calls. It costs me $3.47 a month for unlimited calls. I've had it for 8 months and it's never had a single problem. I have a 3 meg down internet speed so I can't comment on what it would do if you had a very slow internet connection although when I had 1.5 megs down it still worked perfectly. I tried Magic Jack and didn't like it . I know the Ooma costs more to start but it's already paid for itself.