Stuck Plunger In Hydrant

/ Stuck Plunger In Hydrant #1  

aolsonwi

Tractor
John Deere 2210
I have a Campbell yard hydrant that has been installed for about 8 years. Its given my trouble now and then, but this is my worst problem yet. I went to replace teh plunger and other parts with a rebuild kit when the hydrant stopped working...and when i pulled out the main rod, I found that it has sheared off right at the plunger threading....with my plunger stuck 4 ft down the pipe.

I tried simply turning on the water and its obvious that the plunger is somehow stuck down in the seating.

Any brilliant ideas as to how to get the plunger unstuck and OUT Of my pipe so I can get this rebuilt and working again?

Thanks in advance.

Alan

/ Stuck Plunger In Hydrant #2  
I have a Campbell yard hydrant that has been installed for about 8 years. Its given my trouble now and then, but this is my worst problem yet. I went to replace teh plunger and other parts with a rebuild kit when the hydrant stopped working...and when i pulled out the main rod, I found that it has sheared off right at the plunger threading....with my plunger stuck 4 ft down the pipe.

I tried simply turning on the water and its obvious that the plunger is somehow stuck down in the seating.

Any brilliant ideas as to how to get the plunger unstuck and OUT Of my pipe so I can get this rebuilt and working again?

Thanks in advance.

Alan

You had a brilliant idea turning on the water and pushing it out except as soon as the plunger moved above the weep hole you would have lost pressure to force it up any farther.

Other than maybe having a strong vacuum on a tubing to lift with that would seal on top of the plunger rubber when lowered down, digging would probably be the fastest option then replace the complete unit with a new one of good quality.

I live in sand so I can recommend digging.:D

/ Stuck Plunger In Hydrant #3  
I think that I would try a wooden dowel with a screw tip to try to pull it out. Or a rod with a screw welded into the end for the same result.

/ Stuck Plunger In Hydrant #4  
I think that I would try a wooden dowel with a screw tip to try to pull it out. Or a rod with a screw welded into the end for the same result.
Pete - If I'm reading right the steel operating rod has rusted and broke at the threads where it screws into the brass that has the rubber molded around the brass portion that makes the plunger. It's too bad they put steel there rather than brass but I suppose competition on cost cutting has caused this.

If he could get it to raise a couple of inches that might be enough to be into the 1" pipe and he would be home free. Let's hope so.

Hope he gets back to us with a solution that we may benefit from some day of the dreaded inevitable plumbing problem.

Attachments

• Hydrant repair surplus parts 9-23-08.jpg
    Hydrant repair surplus parts 9-23-08.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 892
  • Hydrant repair detail 9-23-08.jpg
    Hydrant repair detail 9-23-08.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,321