Web Site

/ Web Site #1  

Piperflyer

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota3030HST
Has anyone started there own Web site. I looking into getting a web page where I can sell and pass information on to others. I really don't know where to start or what to look for. Sure would appreciate some help.

/ Web Site #2  
There are many ways to build your own web site Let me google that for you

The most important this is that you own your own Domain Name i.e. mycompany.com

Some web builders will buy the name for you but they actually own it. Then if you want to change hosting companies they will hold the name hostage.

For One Stop shopping you can try GoDaddy.com. Buy your name, build your site and then host it with them.

/ Web Site #3  
A low cost way of creating your own web site can be found at wordpress.org. They are known for their blog but they also allow you to create a pretty nice web site for practically nothing. Very helpful community.

/ Web Site #4  
1) You need a web page file: This is usually a file called index.html ... HTML is Hyper Text Markup Language & is the common file type that web browsers recognize, understand & can convert into something you can see on your screen. (As you expand your website, you can add more .html pages to it, & put links to them in the original index.html file, so people can access the other pages, too). You can configure & customize .html files until the cows come home, & that's done similarly to the way you can edit a page in a word processing program like Microsoft Word. (When people go to say www.ibm.com, IBM's own "index.html" file is the default page file that is automatically displayed to visitors to their site. You can check this on many sites by going to your favorite site & adding /index.html to the end of the web address, like www.yahoo.com/index.html ... Your browser will probably automatically lop off the /index.html because it's the default & doesn't need to be seen or displayed)

2) You need an address for where that file will be located: As in, a web address where you can put it, such as piperflyer.com. You'll need to pay for the sole rights to that web address, aka domain name, (if it's available!) for a certain period of time. Websites like godaddy.com, networksolutions.com & others offer this service.

3) You need a place to put that file: Once you have reserved a domain name, you need a source to "host" your site. This will be the actual hard drive space where your index.html, and other .html pages, are stored & accessed by internet users. I think godaddy, networksolutions & many others offer this service, including usually your own Internet Service Provider.

If you really get into this, you can actually host your own website & not pay somebody for that. It takes an extra program or two running on your own computer & some reading & understanding - We host our own here at work.

/ Web Site #6  
There are several programs out there for actually writing the HTML code required for the website. They are very user friendly and range in cost. If you are using a Mac you can use IWeb very inexpensively. If you are a PC user... I am sorry for you first off, but you can use Dreamweaver (kind of expensive). Do a web Google for them...

/ Web Site #8  
Has anyone started there own Web site. I looking into getting a web page where I can sell and pass information on to others. I really don't know where to start or what to look for. Sure would appreciate some help.

My website is through GoDaddy.com I put some time into doing myself and then asked for help from the members here. I got some great advice and made some changes, but hate doing it so much that I never finished or organized my pics.

I also became a lot more active on facebook and found that the more pics and comments I post on there about what I do for a living, the more calls I received from people looking to hire me.

Now I just use my website to link people to my facebook page. I doubt that I'll keep the website once my time is up to pay for my domain name, and I also now think it was a waste of money.

Eddie

/ Web Site #9  
There are several programs out there for actually writing the HTML code required for the website. They are very user friendly and range in cost. If you are using a Mac you can use IWeb very inexpensively. If you are a PC user... I am sorry for you first off, but you can use Dreamweaver (kind of expensive). Do a web Google for them...

Ah the ol' PC vs Mac debate :thumbsup: In my experience, PC users are more likely to know how their computer works & can repair it themselves if needed, i.e Do-It-Yourselfers. My BIL has a Mac, it broke, & he had to have a shop try to fix it. I have an iPod (also by Mac maker, Apple), & it's obvious they've done everything they can to try to idiot-proof their software, which is fine ... but the first thing the iPod's computer-resident software, iTunes, asked me when I installed it was, "Do you want iTunes to locate all the music on your computer?" WHAT?! WHY?! Good grief, I know where the music is on my computer! I ain't stupid! :laughing:

I guess that as long as your Mac works & you don't care too much about how computers work, or to be organized, then a Mac is for you.

So ... IOW, no need to feel sorry for me :D :thumbsup:

/ Web Site #10  
beppington said:
Ah the ol' PC vs Mac debate :thumbsup: In my experience, PC users are more likely to know how their computer works & can repair it themselves if needed, i.e Do-It-Yourselfers. My BIL has a Mac, it broke, & he had to have a shop try to fix it. I have an iPod (also by Mac maker, Apple), & it's obvious they've done everything they can to try to idiot-proof their software, which is fine ... but the first thing the iPod's computer-resident software, iTunes, asked me when I installed it was, "Do you want iTunes to locate all the music on your computer?" WHAT?! WHY?! Good grief, I know where the music is on my computer! I ain't stupid! :laughing:

I guess that as long as your Mac works & you don't care too much about how computers work, or to be organized, then a Mac is for you.

So ... IOW, no need to feel sorry for me :D :thumbsup:

I was just kidding... I am sorry, I don't want to start something. I love my Mac but that does not mean someone else has to.