Shelter for portable generator

/ Shelter for portable generator #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
I need some ideas designing and building a weather shelter for my generator. Only to be used when the generator is running, parked just outside my garage door. Usually only need the power when the weather is nasty, blowing and raining. The generator is stored in the garage, but we put it outside to run it to keep fumes out of the house and reduce the noise-it's loud!

Criteria:

1. It should be easy to collapse & put away, not taking up much storage space.

2. Should deaden the noise rather than amplifying it.

3. Should be able to attach it easily to the generator frame so it won't blow away.

4. Should be able to tolerate getting wet.

5. Must provide some ventilation.

6. I need to be able to easily get to the controls and cable socket.

The generator is about 30" high, 28" long and about 20" wide.

I tend to over build things, so I am looking for simple and elegant solutions.

What do you guys do to protect your generators out in the weather?

/ Shelter for portable generator #2  
You could put in an exhaust line in the garage.

Or build/buy a cart that rolls and build a "semi-replica" of your home to encase it. a replica of a "Caboose" would be neat, but someone may want it more than you when your not looking.

/ Shelter for portable generator #3  
i have also recently thought of building a portable "generator house" to keep it out of the elements. i have a champion generator 5000/6000 watts and on wheels, but still heavy and a little awkward. my idea (i haven't done it yet) was to use a standard 48" X 48" pallett with a plywood floor instead of the spaced boards. the pallett would be the base and off that i would build a box frame with a piece of steel roofing as the top/lid. i would make the steel roofing over hang all sides as to better protect the generator from rain/snow. it also would be on a hinge so i could just lift it up for refueling. the sides would be left open for ventilation and access to the electrical componets and such. since it is heavy to load into my truck or kubota rtv, now it is on a pallett that i can use my forks on my loader to pick it up and transport to where i need it. i would also design a anchoring system on the palletts base to prevent the generator from sliding out.

/ Shelter for portable generator #4  
2 man tent works well light weight water proof and 10 min to put up.

/ Shelter for portable generator #5  
I now have a house generator but prior to that I solved your question with a plywood top, sized to be wide and long enough tilted to where rain or snow would run off and I simply secured it with four 2x4 posts. Very light and simple but did the job.

You don't want to take the chance of leaving it inside of course neither do you want to cause any constrain on the exhaust and provide plenty of ventilation for heat as well.

/ Shelter for portable generator #6  
What about the crates that 4-wheelers and lawn mowers come in. Do they still come in a steel frame crate with light gauge metal skin on them? If so you might could modify one of those that was similar size.

/ Shelter for portable generator #7  
Make sure that you can keep it locked up while outside. A couple of years ago during a power outage in south Seattle, the gen sets, were being stolen "Big Time". One person lost 2 in 2 days. People figure that when the gen goes quiet, it has just run out of gas, and take their time getting out side to refill and in that time, the thief is gone.

/ Shelter for portable generator #8  
In other forums I have seen ppl that use the dog houses that look like igloos to protect gennies..

Brian

/ Shelter for portable generator #9  
My generator sets on a pallet. The pallet is covered with a dog house that was free. 50 ft. extension cord lives in there too. Roof was built to lift off for replacing straw when the dog used it. Pretty nice and priced right.

/ Shelter for portable generator #10  
How about a plywood A frame hinged at the top and open at the ends. Cheap, easy to build, access and ventilation from the open ends, collapses into 2 flat easy to move sheets, some weather protection and paintable. Won't do much for deadening noise.