Propane Weed Torch Recommendations

/ Propane Weed Torch Recommendations #1  

Beltzington

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3720
Would like to burn off the weeds along my pond bank, they are very dense and still slightly green and I do not believe they will burn without using diesel and I do not want fuel seeping into the water.

Anyone know whether the $30 burners from HF work? How much propane should I expect to go through, any recommendations? TIA

/ Propane Weed Torch Recommendations #2  
Would like to burn off the weeds along my pond bank, they are very dense and still slightly green and I do not believe they will burn without using diesel and I do not want fuel seeping into the water.

Anyone know whether the $30 burners from HF work? How much propane should I expect to go through, any recommendations? TIA

I have one and it works fairly well, but it is a fuel hog when you use it in the high flame (full pressure) mode.

/ Propane Weed Torch Recommendations #3  
I borrowed one from my son in law last year for use around the fence surrounding our yard. He bought it from TSC. It worked decently, but as was previously mentioned, the propane consumption rate is fairly high. Just make sure that the weeds are dry. Tractor Supply Company - Home

/ Propane Weed Torch Recommendations #4  
not much to add other than if you have one of the older HF torches they were recalled due to the hose failing; I took mine back after it got a bubble in it and they wanted to give me a similar new one, I said no I want one of the new self ignition types and paid the difference. for most part if you are not FULL on the handle you can burn for a good while on a 20 lb tank. I find it hardest to just lug the tank around while working/burning. finally used some straps and stuck it onto the small trailer behind the rider.

mark

/ Propane Weed Torch Recommendations #5  
I've had a HF weed burner for a couple years. Burning weeds seems take too much time so I resort to chemicals but it's excellent lighting campfires and my wood fired hot tub.

/ Propane Weed Torch Recommendations #6  
I use one of the older HF units and it works well. Wish I had one of the self igniting models.

With it on full throttle it will use fuel so fast frost forms on the tank. I learned quickly to just turn up the pilot light and can get a pretty good flame without using so much fuel.

/ Propane Weed Torch Recommendations #7  
I have an HF that seems to "flame out" no matter how I adjust it. Other than that it is like having an afterburner in your hands. I don't recall what it cost. They were on special one day so I grabbed one. My well head has some pavers layed up in a circle around it. Not wanting to use round up, the torch makes quick work of the weeds growing through the blocks.

I used it to heat up some 6" PVC electrical conduit I had on hand and was making a drain pipe with. I could not get the exact angle I needed so I heated the pipe enough to bend it. Scortched it a bit but who cares for drain water?

/ Propane Weed Torch Recommendations #8  
These are good and easy to handle. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-19425-JT850-Self-Igniting-Outdoor/dp/B00008ZA0F/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1327203607&sr=8-3]Amazon.com: Bernzomatic 19425 JT850 Self-Igniting 20,000 BTU Outdoor Torch: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

/ Propane Weed Torch Recommendations #9  
My propane company put one together for me, after I'd asked which 'store-bought' unit would be best. Not much different than the others, they didn't charge me much, and they made some negative comments on the hose quality of some.

Burning green weeds is slow, tedius and expensive. Over the last couple of decades, I've tried numerous times.

Burning dead weeds is much faster, way easier and uses a fraction of the propane that green requires.

I use Roundup or an equivilant then a few weeks later burn 'em.

It is also the best device available for starting bonfires! If it ever needs to be replaced I'd get one of the self-igniting ones.

Phil

/ Propane Weed Torch Recommendations
Good Advice Everyone - Looks like I'll give one a try as it sounds like are handy for other tasks reguardless on how they work on weeds.

Was going to try and burn today but thankfully we got a good soaking rain last night so it will be at least next weekend before I can get out to the property. This will give me some time to shop around or order online.