Tractor
    JD 3720

Default Propane Weed Torch Recommendations

Would like to burn off the weeds along my pond bank, they are very dense and still slightly green and I do not believe they will burn without using diesel and I do not want fuel seeping into the water.

Anyone know whether the $30 burners from HF work? How much propane should I expect to go through, any recommendations? TIA

Tractor
    Kubota MX5100 HST 4WD

Default Re: Propane Weed Torch Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Beltzington View Post
    Would like to burn off the weeds along my pond bank, they are very dense and still slightly green and I do not believe they will burn without using diesel and I do not want fuel seeping into the water.

Anyone know whether the $30 burners from HF work? How much propane should I expect to go through, any recommendations? TIA
    I have one and it works fairly well, but it is a fuel hog when you use it in the high flame (full pressure) mode.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

I borrowed one from my son in law last year for use around the fence surrounding our yard. He bought it from TSC. It worked decently, but as was previously mentioned, the propane consumption rate is fairly high. Just make sure that the weeds are dry. Tractor Supply Company - Home
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

Tractor
    Jinma 284

not much to add other than if you have one of the older HF torches they were recalled due to the hose failing; I took mine back after it got a bubble in it and they wanted to give me a similar new one, I said no I want one of the new self ignition types and paid the difference. for most part if you are not FULL on the handle you can burn for a good while on a 20 lb tank. I find it hardest to just lug the tank around while working/burning. finally used some straps and stuck it onto the small trailer behind the rider.

mark
    I may remember why I went to the other end of the shop, I'm just afraid once I get there I'll forget how to get back!

Tractor
    Fisher Price, toddlers first tractor.

I've had a HF weed burner for a couple years. Burning weeds seems take too much time so I resort to chemicals but it's excellent lighting campfires and my wood fired hot tub.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200

I use one of the older HF units and it works well. Wish I had one of the self igniting models.

With it on full throttle it will use fuel so fast frost forms on the tank. I learned quickly to just turn up the pilot light and can get a pretty good flame without using so much fuel.

Veteran Member

I have an HF that seems to "flame out" no matter how I adjust it. Other than that it is like having an afterburner in your hands. I don't recall what it cost. They were on special one day so I grabbed one. My well head has some pavers layed up in a circle around it. Not wanting to use round up, the torch makes quick work of the weeds growing through the blocks.

I used it to heat up some 6" PVC electrical conduit I had on hand and was making a drain pipe with. I could not get the exact angle I needed so I heated the pipe enough to bend it. Scortched it a bit but who cares for drain water?

Silver Member
    Tractor
    2006 Mahindra 6000, 1987 Ford 2910

These are good and easy to handle. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-19425-JT850-Self-Igniting-Outdoor/dp/B00008ZA0F/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1327203607&sr=8-3]Amazon.com: Bernzomatic 19425 JT850 Self-Igniting 20,000 BTU Outdoor Torch: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

Tractor
    PT-422

My propane company put one together for me, after I'd asked which 'store-bought' unit would be best. Not much different than the others, they didn't charge me much, and they made some negative comments on the hose quality of some.

Burning green weeds is slow, tedius and expensive. Over the last couple of decades, I've tried numerous times.

Burning dead weeds is much faster, way easier and uses a fraction of the propane that green requires.

I use Roundup or an equivilant then a few weeks later burn 'em.

It is also the best device available for starting bonfires! If it ever needs to be replaced I'd get one of the self-igniting ones.

Phil

Tractor
    JD 3720

Good Advice Everyone - Looks like I'll give one a try as it sounds like are handy for other tasks reguardless on how they work on weeds.

Was going to try and burn today but thankfully we got a good soaking rain last night so it will be at least next weekend before I can get out to the property. This will give me some time to shop around or order online.