Replace/Repair Storm Damaged Skylight

/ Replace/Repair Storm Damaged Skylight #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
The last storm sent a tree branch through the skylight... all in all not much to complain about because it could have been much worse.

The skylights are milgard circa 1980, flat panel with black anodized aluminum frames and measure roughly 24 x 60. Series 750 is the most similar.

What I thought would be as simple as ordering a new tempered double pane glass might be simple... but the cost of the glass from the local shops is over $800

The other option is to have a new cap made by milgard... they no longer sell to the public here in Washington... have to go through a dealer.

The cost for a new cap is about $900...

The above includes installation because none of the shops I have contacted will sell over the counter...

I've put in a couple of skylights over the years... mostly velux or a long time ago, the really inexpensive plexi-doom style.

Any suggestions from glass guys or roofers?

/ Replace/Repair Storm Damaged Skylight #2  
Replace with Lexan/plexi?

/ Replace/Repair Storm Damaged Skylight #3  
There is a Lite Tube out that brings sunlight down a 12" high gloss tube. The sky light does loose heat up through it. These new light tubes are interesting but I have also seen some that I would not want on my house.

Craig Clayton

/ Replace/Repair Storm Damaged Skylight #4  
get on the internet and find a replacement: i hope you can find them a lot cheaper than locally:
heehaw

/ Replace/Repair Storm Damaged Skylight #5  
I'd look a little harder also. The price for the replacement glass sounds high to me. Will your insurance not cover it being storm damage?

MarkV

/ Replace/Repair Storm Damaged Skylight #6  
Scour the net for tempered glass. Surely you can find it cheaper.

A few years back I made a frosted glass "screen" to cover a window in a tub / shower. After the mounting holes were drilled, the glass company sent it out (locally) to have it tempered. Cost for tempering $50. (Replaced plastic curtain over the window).

Not sure who Beinswanger (sp) used to temper my glass, but they did everything else for me. FYI.

/ Replace/Repair Storm Damaged Skylight
My deductible is $1000... so while it would be covered... the damage is less than my deductible.

I was thinking plexi too... although, not sure how it will age next to the 4 intact skylights of if condensation could be an issue?

The double pane unit is nearly an inch thick...

I'm tempted to buy a spare to have on hand if I can find a good price... plenty of trees around and the winds have been known to peak at 80 mph on rare occasions...

Last year I had to replace a tempered shower door... the panel cost $130. I realize the shower was on single pane... just seems double is 5 times more costly...

/ Replace/Repair Storm Damaged Skylight
Looks like I will have to make a trip to Washington...

The contractor that gave me the bid valid for 10 days has rescinded it...

Apparently, he did not like I called the local milgard dealer on the advice of my Insurance Broker...

It always seems to complicate things when you are trying to do them from 800 miles away...

/ Replace/Repair Storm Damaged Skylight #10  
You don't have to use tempered glass, you can just use safety glass, which has a layer of sticky plastic sandwiched between two thin panes. A local glass company can fab up thermo-pane safety glass for you inexpensively.

You can also use wire glass, but that's pretty heavy stuff.