Gold Member

Default Small scale wind energy

I'm curious about a small turbine for experimenting with alternative energy. I've seen all sorts of solar insolation maps on the Internet to help calculate if solar is worthwhile at a given location. Does anyone know if something similar for small scale (residential) wind turbines? I've seen a couple of large scale maps, for major wind farms.

Keith

Tractor
    John Deere LX172

Default Re: Small scale wind energy

Quote Originally Posted by KTurner View Post
    I'm curious about a small turbine for experimenting with alternative energy. I've seen all sorts of solar insolation maps on the Internet to help calculate if solar is worthwhile at a given location. Does anyone know if something similar for small scale (residential) wind turbines? I've seen a couple of large scale maps, for major wind farms.

Keith
    Can't give you specifics, but we have a few around here that were installed back in the 70's; in fact, my Mother told me that they had a windcharger on the farm (back in the 30's) that provided their electricity, which they stored in batteries. Some of those old units are still around I've been told. I'm sure a search of the internet will provide a lot of info.

http://www.windenergy.com/
    Have Wings, Will Travel.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    BX22

To get anything usable you need to be big, high or in a high wind area. Maybe all three. The biggest news in res small wind is Southwest Windpower.They splashed on the scene a number of years ago, but since have been plagued with poor reliability and service, and complaints and lawsuits by owners who say that they make nothing close to what Southwest was advertising. The last insult was after spending a lot of grant and investor money, they have moved most of the manufacturing to China.

Established suppliers, like Bergey, are out there, but costs are higher than some of the newer upstarts.

If you search online you can find wind charts for your area to see if it would make sense for you.

paul

Tractor
    Austoft Skid Steer, Cat D2

Check out Welcome to OTHERPOWER.COM. Rule of thumb here is average wind run of 180km per day - not sure of what that is in imperial measurements any more.

Tractor
    NH TC40DA

Local paper ran an article about this company - WindStream Technologies, Inc. - ECOnomical Wind Energy - opening a plant in south central Indiana. They will be selling the units through "home improvement stores within a year for a price of about $650". I'm not sure what that price includes, but it might be a way to start. I plan to keep watching for it at the local box stores.
    Barry
    Lawson Hill Farm
    NH TC40DA
    '64 IH Cub Lo-Boy
    '47 Willys Jeep CJ2a w/ PTO
    '49 Willys Jeep CJ3a w/ PTO & 3pt lift
    http://www.farmjeep.com/

Tractor
    2008 Mahindra 5525, 1964 MF-135 diesel, 1951 Farmall Super A, 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF, 1945 Oliver 60 Row Crop, 1949 JD B widefront

Keith
    If you're just experimenting, I'd get a small turbine and have at it. Either it works or it doesn't. A neighbor has a small turbine on a 60 ft mast that spins when the wind blows, which is about 30% of the time around here in the North Sacramento Valley. He doesn't rely on it for critical power. It's more a hobby and the thing has become an expensive lawn ornament.

Tractor
    Kubota's - B7610, M4700

Keith
    Wind Powering America: Utility-Scale Land-Based 80-Meter Wind Maps.

To get finer detail you really need to deploy sensors. $$$$
    My rides - '95 Kubota M4700 w/ PEC, LA1001 FEL :'07 B7610, LA352 FEL, Bush Hog SBX 48 box blade, '09 Woods BH70-X w/ 16" bucket and thumb, 3pt pallet forks, Dale Phillips PHD, Jinma 8" chipper, 2 Piranha's, Winco 12KW PTO generator, Howse plow, 5' KK tiller, 5' Big Bee cutter, with a 2002 7.3L Ford F350 CC DRW 4x4 and '07 18' Hudson HSE Deluxe trailer - 5 Ton to haul it all