Small scale wind energy

/ Small scale wind energy #1  

KTurner

Gold Member
I'm curious about a small turbine for experimenting with alternative energy. I've seen all sorts of solar insolation maps on the Internet to help calculate if solar is worthwhile at a given location. Does anyone know if something similar for small scale (residential) wind turbines? I've seen a couple of large scale maps, for major wind farms.

Keith

/ Small scale wind energy #2  
I'm curious about a small turbine for experimenting with alternative energy. I've seen all sorts of solar insolation maps on the Internet to help calculate if solar is worthwhile at a given location. Does anyone know if something similar for small scale (residential) wind turbines? I've seen a couple of large scale maps, for major wind farms.

Keith

Can't give you specifics, but we have a few around here that were installed back in the 70's; in fact, my Mother told me that they had a windcharger on the farm (back in the 30's) that provided their electricity, which they stored in batteries. Some of those old units are still around I've been told. I'm sure a search of the internet will provide a lot of info.

http://www.windenergy.com/

/ Small scale wind energy #4  
To get anything usable you need to be big, high or in a high wind area. Maybe all three. The biggest news in res small wind is Southwest Windpower.They splashed on the scene a number of years ago, but since have been plagued with poor reliability and service, and complaints and lawsuits by owners who say that they make nothing close to what Southwest was advertising. The last insult was after spending a lot of grant and investor money, they have moved most of the manufacturing to China.

Established suppliers, like Bergey, are out there, but costs are higher than some of the newer upstarts.

If you search online you can find wind charts for your area to see if it would make sense for you.

paul

/ Small scale wind energy #5  
Check out Welcome to OTHERPOWER.COM. Rule of thumb here is average wind run of 180km per day - not sure of what that is in imperial measurements any more.

/ Small scale wind energy #6  
Local paper ran an article about this company - WindStream Technologies, Inc. - ECOnomical Wind Energy - opening a plant in south central Indiana. They will be selling the units through "home improvement stores within a year for a price of about $650". I'm not sure what that price includes, but it might be a way to start. I plan to keep watching for it at the local box stores.

/ Small scale wind energy #7  

Keith

If you're just experimenting, I'd get a small turbine and have at it. Either it works or it doesn't. A neighbor has a small turbine on a 60 ft mast that spins when the wind blows, which is about 30% of the time around here in the North Sacramento Valley. He doesn't rely on it for critical power. It's more a hobby and the thing has become an expensive lawn ornament.

/ Small scale wind energy #8  

Keith
Wind Powering America: Utility-Scale Land-Based 80-Meter Wind Maps.

To get finer detail you really need to deploy sensors. $$$$