Radon testing

/ Radon testing #21  
Well i personally think radon mitigation is just another worthless operation to generate vast amounts of $$$$.

The EPA states that Radon is the major source for lung cancer next to cigarettes, but there isn't any actual scientific literature sites linked to this claim. I have been to several meetings about this over the years, and not a single person giving the lecture has shown any actual scientific studies that link Radon specifically to lung cancer. The tests they'd site just link non-smokers to lung cancer. but these tests don't say anything about second hand smoke.

All i know for an absolute fact is when i worked in Calif as a contractor, i had to call the Asbestos testers and mitigators whenever i tore down an old building. The guy would arrive in his Ferrari to walk the site. $35,000 later his "crew" would have stripped the site of asbestos.

Now, after the LA riots, the EPA canceled all asbestos testing on anything taken to the dump during demo and re-building to speed up the process. So i guess Asbestos poisoning disappears with riots???

So while i digressed away from radon, i think that the asbestos problems are just as overblown. Sure, if i was working IN an asbestos mine OR living in a town next to an Asbestos mine i would be worried, but as usual the EPA overblew an issue until its absolutely ridiculous and another "schemers" dream come true.

There is plenty of scientific evidence to connect Radon with lung cancer. Do a search and see what you come up with. Here's just one study:

Lung Cancer Mortality Among Nonsmoking Uranium Miners Exposed to Radon Daughters, August 4, 1989, Roscoe et al. 262 (5): 629 ? JAMA

/ Radon testing #22  
There is plenty of scientific evidence to connect Radon with lung cancer. Do a search and see what you come up with. Here's just one study:

Lung Cancer Mortality Among Nonsmoking Uranium Miners Exposed to Radon Daughters, August 4, 1989, Roscoe et al. 262 (5): 629 ? JAMA

well i never said that we couldn't find data, what we wer not able to find was data concerning NON MINERS and people never exposed to SECOND HAND SMOKE.

I'm sure people working in mines will be at risk.

What i have a problem with is a person that has asbestos coated air ducts in a 60 yo house suddenly having issues with lung cancer. My own mother lives i a house in So Cal since 1958... in the same house. And it has asbestos coated (outside) heat duct system as all the older houses had. Shes 90 Y.O. and lungs are fine.

Now if i had a business tearing out these old systems i might be scared, but ill tell you what. I have PAID the pros to remove it, and yo know what they do. The wet it down and haul it out wrapped in plastic bags. The laborers doing the work wear nothing more than masks and gloves. And for this i had to pay HUGE $$$$$ when i was in the remodeling business.

Oh, and how much you wanna bet that the things are simply dumped at the land fill without the plastic wrapping???

/ Radon testing #24  
well i never said that we couldn't find data, what we wer not able to find was data concerning NON MINERS and people never exposed to SECOND HAND SMOKE.

I'm sure people working in mines will be at risk.

What i have a problem with is a person that has asbestos coated air ducts in a 60 yo house suddenly having issues with lung cancer. My own mother lives i a house in So Cal since 1958... in the same house. And it has asbestos coated (outside) heat duct system as all the older houses had. Shes 90 Y.O. and lungs are fine.

Now if i had a business tearing out these old systems i might be scared, but ill tell you what. I have PAID the pros to remove it, and yo know what they do. The wet it down and haul it out wrapped in plastic bags. The laborers doing the work wear nothing more than masks and gloves. And for this i had to pay HUGE $$$$$ when i was in the remodeling business.

Oh, and how much you wanna bet that the things are simply dumped at the land fill without the plastic wrapping???

There is only one cause for mesothelioma, and that is asbestos. Asbestos is safe as long as it is in a form that does not give off particles. Transite and other forms of "nonfriable" asbestos are safe, until you cut it, grind it, crush it or otherwise do something to it that will release fibers. I have asbestos AC conduit it my house, and I don't worry about it unless something is done to it that will release the fibers. And...FYI, asbestos has to be placed in a dedicated area of the landfill and special procedures apply.

/ Radon testing #25  
There is only one cause for mesothelioma, and that is asbestos. Asbestos is safe as long as it is in a form that does not give off particles. Transite and other forms of "nonfriable" asbestos are safe, until you cut it, grind it, crush it or otherwise do something to it that will release fibers. I have asbestos AC conduit it my house, and I don't worry about it unless something is done to it that will release the fibers. And...FYI, asbestos has to be placed in a dedicated area of the landfill and special procedures apply.

i worked in LA after the riots, and all old demoed buildings did not need asbestos testing..and they could be hauled to any landfill.

been there done that

/ Radon testing #27  
i worked in LA after the riots, and all old demoed buildings did not need asbestos testing..and they could be hauled to any landfill.

been there done that

As I recall, the very first asbestos regulations were not promulgated until the early eighties, and like Topsy, just grew over the next decade. When I worked for the State Health Department, asbestos compliance was one of my duties. Things were pretty chaotic in the beginning, and practices for inspection, maintenance, removal and disposal were about what you would expect; lax or nonexistent. Demolition companies were probably the industry most immediately and drastically affected and it took some healthy fines to get their attention.

/ Radon testing #28  
"Well i personally think radon mitigation is just another worthless operation to generate vast amounts of $$$$.
The EPA states that Radon is the major source for lung cancer next to cigarettes, but there isn't any actual scientific literature sites linked to this claim. I have been to several meetings about this over the years, and not a single person giving the lecture has shown any actual scientific studies that link Radon specifically to lung cancer. The tests they'd site just link non-smokers to lung cancer. but these tests don't say anything about second hand smoke."

GRS, I find your position on this subject very interesting.
I'm sure your aware that the northern ID area where our properties are located is a known hot spot for radon ( pretty much all of ID).
While what you say may be true, I cant help but be swayed by the coincidences that speak against your thoughts.
1. In general, radiation is bad for humans, radon is radiation.
2. We are located in a radon hot spot.
3. There is a person about a mile away from me that has lung cancer.
Coincidence? maybe, but since I'm doing new construction I'm going to take precautions anyway because the cost is very minimal.
Cheers, Tim

/ Radon testing #29  
I ordered a radon test kit...and I have to put it in just one place..so I was thinking if I can only pick one place I should put it in the basement since it is under the whole house...my reasoning is , if there is radon there then it must be everywhere above..Am I wrong ? When I built the house I put down a vapor barrier before the basement concrete was poured so that makes me feel better...right ?
I have a test kit on its way. The recommendation from the health department is to put the recorder in the room you spend the most time in. That said; I'll likely put it in the basement as I am in the process of finishing a room down there (den/tv room).
I'm not too worried in any case - new house with vapor barriers on all levels + below the concrete floor & ventilation (geothermal HVAC). Cost up here is $35, which includes shipping, taxes & analysis.

Last edited:
   / Radon testing #30  
Bothers me some would say its a scam or "bunk". Its the second leading cause of lung cancer behind smoking yet so simply mitigated for about 800 bucks. Here in the northeast I work in health care and it's not uncommon especially in old mining areas to have a husband and wife both get cancer who never smoked. The county health dept will often request a radon text and find levels of 90 to 100 mlr. So they lived in a home for 30 years and never thought about radon. Its no joke and is a required test by many banks. It doesn't make your home a non syllable just have to workout who's paying for the pipe and fan.