Dirt Road Packing Material

/ Dirt Road Packing Material #1  

Pettrix

Platinum Member
Looking for a good product that can be applied with 1/4" AB material that will pack it down and hold it together. I remember hearing about some type of glue agent or something that can be mixed in with AB and then when rolled and wet, it forms to a hard layer which keeps the road packed and dust down.

Sort of like the stuff they use when doing landscape pavers, in between the grout lines, you sweep it in and then wet it and it hardens.

Do they make something like that for dirt roads?

/ Dirt Road Packing Material #2  
The stuff they use for pavers is polymeric sand, but I have no idea if it will work well for your application. I'm interested in what others may have to say.

/ Dirt Road Packing Material #3  
This might b e what you are talking about. POLY PAVEMENT.
Google soil paving to find more of the same type of product.

/ Dirt Road Packing Material #4  
Sounds like your looking for an eroion control polymer. Ive used these with mixed results. You may have to hire a grader and water truck and roller. Some companies have you grade area mixing the course and fines then respread them and Apply the mix with the water truck and roll with a 12 ton static roller or 3 to 4 ton vibratory roller.

It comes in a tote and you mix it in your water truck. I have a few totes on a 16 foot trailer that I have plumbed together with a gravity bar on the rear for a small job. The reason They suggest a grader is the weight and power to cut out the rub board and potholes and properyli mix the solution. Heres one company we have used in the past.

Gorilla-Snot® Soil Stabilization & Dust Control from Soilworks®

/ Dirt Road Packing Material #5  
The guy that helped put in my big culvert has recommended a couple times a product they get when they grind up old asphalt roads. It's supposed to heat and pack and ends up acting like actual asphalt. I was going to put a posting on here about it to see if anyone had any experience with the stuff. I guess this posting is a good start.

/ Dirt Road Packing Material #6  
Thats called RAP Recycled Asphault Pavement. We spread alot of it. Its road millings , its more expensive naow since alot of companies are using it in a 20 percent mix in new pavement. If you get it in the summer and spread it on the hottest days and roll it in good with a compacto and break up ome of the clumps it will make a nice road. It will break up a bit some times. We put down several tons at the parking loat at the Motorhome service building. It comes in various mixes, some is better than others. We got some that was fine and had alot of liquid asphault oozing in it. This binds great.

/ Dirt Road Packing Material #7  
I've had some experience with Soiltac (they're on the web) but it is fairly expensive and didn't hold up as well we hoped.

Poor man's paving:

We are all mountains here with the secondary roads all dirt. On my long access road I grade to keep the water where it belongs and on the steep pitches apply medium small blue bit gravel and dump bags of cement here and there. I then work it with a York rake to mix the rock and powdered cement and let nature take it's course. Vehicle compaction and the light rain showers we receive almost daily finish the job. In areas where I've done this say three times over ten years, the road is as good as paved with no problems like asphalt (stripping) or concrete (breaking).

When we get torrential rains (rates in excess of 14" per hour), any rutting that occurs can be easily blended out with the same materials.

/ Dirt Road Packing Material #8  
The guy that helped put in my big culvert has recommended a couple times a product they get when they grind up old asphalt roads. It's supposed to heat and pack and ends up acting like actual asphalt. I was going to put a posting on here about it to see if anyone had any experience with the stuff. I guess this posting is a good start.

A relative did this and it worked very well on a back barn drive. The finer the grind the better it worked but after a year or so even the clumps have smoothed out. The better the base of stone the better it looks.
My experience with water washing over a drive is to fix the problem so it doesn't happen. Get a bulldozer and whatever it takes to fix it is what it takes. Washing problems never went away for me until I got a D6 to grade correctly.

/ Dirt Road Packing Material
It comes in a tote and you mix it in your water truck. I have a few totes on a 16 foot trailer that I have plumbed together with a gravity bar on the rear for a small job. The reason They suggest a grader is the weight and power to cut out the rub board and potholes and properyli mix the solution. Heres one company we have used in the past.

Gorilla-Snotョ Soil Stabilization & Dust Control from Soilworksョ

How long does the above product last?

Is it possible to just spray the substance directly onto a compacted AB road?

The Gorilla product is 1/2 the price of the Poly Pavement. I wonder what the major difference is between the two products?