Any Doomsday Preppers Here?

/ Any Doomsday Preppers Here? #11  
Just curious about other TBNers' opinions about the show.

They should rename the show to Hoarders With Guns. Preparation for events that are within the realm of possibility makes sense but to prepare for something that may only occur once in a million years is a waste of time.

/ Any Doomsday Preppers Here? #12  
Any prepper worth his or her salt wouldn't revile their plans or preparations to the world on that show.

That, and with regard to some of them who attempt to fortify their "bunkers" and hoard supplies, George S. Patton said it best...

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to the stupidity of Man."

/ Any Doomsday Preppers Here? #13  
I only watched one show. I regard this program as only another "Reality Show" with added Drama. There will probably be an "Offshoot" to this series next year called "The Housewives of Doomsday".

/ Any Doomsday Preppers Here? #14  
You can only keep what you can defend. There's a reason people band together in communities. Regardless of how much food you store, ammo stock, ect. , these "preppers" lack the man power to defend themselves and their stockpiles.

/ Any Doomsday Preppers Here? #15  
Speaking of Y2K, we had a nice garden in 1999. I was giving lots of veggies to my neighbor. One day he jokingly said "Shouldn't you be saving these up for Y2K?" to which I replied "All I have to do is keep you fat."

Err -Fricassee of next door neighbor?

/ Any Doomsday Preppers Here? #16  
This wed there is going to be a "doomsday bunker" show on history I think. I dont get natgeo. I guess the "be prepared" motto is stuck in my head.

/ Any Doomsday Preppers Here? #17  
I watched the whole series on the "on demand" thing on cable. I thought it was interesting to a point and each episodes subject "preppers" had a few good ideas, but each one also had flaws in their "plan" that where very obvious to me.

I have a relative who WAS a prepper - when things DIDN'T happen as they thought (gov't break down, wars, man made or natural disasters - you name it) they where left with a tons of ammo that now missfires from old age and all of the "long shelf life" food sat around until the packaging deteriorated and it got contaminated....thousands of dollars wasted. Only a few "hard" supplies left like mechanical items that will last in storage forever....
I think it takes really deep pockets to set up the kind of equipment / infrastructure / supplies that will actually last for our lifetime.

/ Any Doomsday Preppers Here?
tried watching that show a couple of times. Those folks are way too far out for my taste. From the little I did watch most of those folks are City Fied.

Most all country folks are prepared to some extent, but very few so far out. I keep a good supply of Beer & smokes, just in case.

Yeah, they mostly look like suburbanites. I surely wouldn't want to be in a suburb or urban area if something bad did happen. We here in the country actually try to help our neighbors...instead of pointing a sub-machine gun at them.

/ Any Doomsday Preppers Here? #19  
Just remember in a lot of survival forms their plans are to get to the "country" as fast as they can. Which means a lot of people with limited supplies.

/ Any Doomsday Preppers Here? #20  
How about the guy that pretty much shot his thumb off? 2nd or 3rd show I think?

The people who don't drink but were stocking up on alcohol for trading purposes was interesting. I am not sure if I would want to be attracting the can't go with out a drink/party hard crowd in a SHTF situation. He was also the guy that had safes full of rifles and shotguns but only a few pistols.

I came across this a few months ago, pretty interesting read from someone who went through a social collapse. I particularly liked the part where he talks about pistol versus rifle for your 'SHTF weapon'.

The Argentina Collapse

Also interesting in the big thing they wished they had stocked up on was food.

Overall I think knowing how to hunt/fish and grow your own food is the most important. Food supplies and weapsons can be taken but knowledge can't unless they kill you, in which case you aren't gonna be hungry anyway ;)