Any Doomsday Preppers Here?

/ Any Doomsday Preppers Here? #31  
I watched the 1st episode, was more comical to me than anything. Haven't watched it since. I just hope a few of them aren't who will be left to "re-build" society.:)

/ Any Doomsday Preppers Here? #32  
As already stated most country folk are already prepared as part of every day life. We use rain water filtered for drinking and have 2 x5000 gal tanks one gravity feeds the house the other I pump with 2 inch petrol pump. 2 freezers can be run by my 5kw diesel generator, have 400 gals diesel on site and bulldozer and tractor always full. Our garden is ok, we need to stock up on coffee thats about all. Firearms 8 shot 12 g pump with 500 rounds buckshot I use for swans and 300 or so rounds no4 bird shot plus 1000+ rounds .22.
These are my every day stocks, but I do not expect the world to have serious problems especially here in New Zealand. Just in case... may your god be with you

/ Any Doomsday Preppers Here? #33  
I watched the show, and seems like all of them made a big deal about their bug out bag. I don't need one. If I was going to bug out, I would go to my house :). Living in the country with a well big enough to put a bucket down is a good thing. Half the houses on my road have my family living in them. Two things about that are good. We have each other for support, and I don't have to worry as much about them coming to take my stuff. I just think the Mayans were about a thousand years off in their prediction. They've been gone about a thousand years haven't they?

/ Any Doomsday Preppers Here? #34  
Yeah, they mostly look like suburbanites. I surely wouldn't want to be in a suburb or urban area if something bad did happen. We here in the country actually try to help our neighbors...instead of pointing a sub-machine gun at them.

Exactly. If people who can't get along become a problem, I'm sure enough of my neighbors would get together to deal with the problem. We could put together a neighborhood militia if we needed one. Meanwhile, we check on our neighbors to make sure everything is OK. We bring hot meals, or at least coffee and sandwiches, to neighbors who have lost their cooking facilities. We all have resources that are not available to urbanoids.

/ Any Doomsday Preppers Here? #35  
I watched the show, and seems like all of them made a big deal about their bug out bag. I don't need one. If I was going to bug out, I would go to my house :). Living in the country with a well big enough to put a bucket down is a good thing. Half the houses on my road have my family living in them. Two things about that are good. We have each other for support, and I don't have to worry as much about them coming to take my stuff. I just think the Mayans were about a thousand years off in their prediction. They've been gone about a thousand years haven't they?

I agree with you - I and my family are staying put...no bug out bag needed...we will defend what is ours and this is where we will make our stand if and when that becomes necessary...If we go down it will be right here, at home, and whoever engages us will not go unscathed...

/ Any Doomsday Preppers Here? #36  
We could put together a neighborhood militia if we needed one.

That assumes that there will be a neighborhood left to create one from. What would happen in the aftermath of a global disaster like... nuclear war? Noone can know what will happen, so it's always best to assume the worst.

/ Any Doomsday Preppers Here? #37  
That assumes that there will be a neighborhood left to create one from. What would happen in the aftermath of a global disaster like... nuclear war? Noone can know what will happen, so it's always best to assume the worst.

In that case, most of us would be royally sc****d. There is far more to survival than stockpiling food, weapons etc., I doubt I would be willing to kill my friends and neighbors for a few extra months or even years of "life" after such a cataclysmic event.

I have, however lived a long life already unlike many here and can understand the desire for those younger than I with families. I do think even many of those will be unwilling or unable to do what is necessary to survive.

/ Any Doomsday Preppers Here? #38  
A few years ago I had friend in PA., After a paticularly bad storm that caused power outages and trees down he was checking his neighbors. Most everyone said it was pretty bad and were waiting for help. Water, fuel oil, etc... When he got to his Amish neighbor the man and his family didn't even know there had been a storm causing massive damage and outages.

/ Any Doomsday Preppers Here? #39  
In that case, most of us would be royally sc****d. There is far more to survival than stockpiling food, weapons etc., I doubt I would be willing to kill my friends and neighbors for a few extra months or even years of "life" after such a cataclysmic event.

I have, however lived a long life already unlike many here and can understand the desire for those younger than I with families. I do think even many of those will be unwilling or unable to do what is necessary to survive.

I agree that in the event of a nuclear war most of us would be SOL, and like you, I would not kill simply for the sake of killing. However, if one survived, it would be very likely that one would be forced to kill in self defense.

The kind of stress that would be imposed by such a disaster changes people. Even people who are normally kind and caring have the capacity to become animals under the right conditions. It's simply part of being human.

Last edited:
   / Any Doomsday Preppers Here? #40  
These people have a screw loose. The one show the guy spends 24/7 on preparing and spent something like 150K on stored food. Enough to feed 22 people for a number of years.

This nut case did trial evacuation, had scouts, a truck load of ammunition and on and on and on.

So this guy is so worried about lining through some Apocalypse, yet has created his own apocalypse and is living a miserable life.

I worked with one of these nuts 40 years ago who was doing all this crap and was sure the world was ending shortly. Well that was 40 years ago and that miserable soul is still worried. He won't have to worry much longer he's about to die of old age.

First of all who wants to live when the the nuke hits, the people riot, roaming bands of marauders roam the streets raping a pillaging.

Nah, if it all happen I want to be right under the nuke when it lands, or I'll climb the tallest mountain and watch beautiful sunsets till I starve to death.

Who would want to "survive" under the conditions these people are worried about.

So what -- I'm doing to live in a cave or hole in the ground, but have enough food to DO THAT for years...NO THANKS.