Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7100D

Default Re: Water Heater Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby074 View Post
    Timers are good, but if your tank is several years old and your looking for an upgrade, look at the new GE Hybrid heaters. Basically a hot water tank with a heatpump mounted

I got a rundown on them the other day. Over $350 a year in savings. If i didnt install a brand new tank last year i'd have one.
    I wonder about installing one of those if your WH is inside your heated space? In the winter it would just be 'stealing' heat from your house? My WH is also in a closet under the stairs so not much airflow... I don't think it would be as effective.

Tractor
    JD 4410

I've been running a tank heater for about 8 months saves about $3 a month. It cost me about $100 to install that was the timer the wire and the extra insulating jacket for the tank. I run the tank for 2 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the evening. Our electricity is charged based on time of use. Therefore I only run the tank in off peak hours. With two of us I have never wanted for hot water. One can always flip the override switch to turn the heater to regular mode.

The only time I've done that was Christmas when with all the family we had 10 people over for the weekend and I didn't think the lone tank would be enough. Weekends and holidays are also off peak so what the heck "it's Christmas Mr Scrooge."

Tractor
    Iseki TA 207

I am a little confused. One post says turn it off at night to save money. The other post says turn it off during the day to save money. All I know is that my father had lost power during a storm, and had hot enough water for 3 days to take quick showers. How much can you save if the heater doesn't turn on all night anyway?

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    BX22

A timer will reduce energy losses due to radiated heat loss from the tank. If you lose 5 deg in the tank when the timer is off, when it turns on, you will pay for those 5 degrees at turn on time. To really save much money, you need to greatly reduce your usage. Timers only make sense if you have a lower rate at night, and you only heat the water at those lower rates. An external thermal blanket reduces the losses, is cheaper and will save more money.

As for hybrid heat pumps, like the GE, the downside is that the area where the water heater is located will get chilled by the heat pump. If you are in the south, where the temp is mild and the utilities are in the garage or other outdoor connected area, no problem. If you have a basement or utility room in a heated part of the house, then you will chill that area. In a basement it may not be a big problem if you do not use the basement for anything, but in a heated area you will find the home's heating system will need to make up for the heat given up to the water heater. A heat pump just moves heat, so from the house to the water. It has advantages in the summer as it will assist the A/C somewhat.

Nothing is for free.

Paul

Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

Quote Originally Posted by charlz View Post
    I wonder about installing one of those if your WH is inside your heated space? In the winter it would just be 'stealing' heat from your house? My WH is also in a closet under the stairs so not much airflow... I don't think it would be as effective.
    I had this discussion with the rep.

The most efficiency is having the unit installed in unconditioned space. Thats where mine is. Raising and lowering the ambient temp in such an area really makes no difference to ones heat bills. The brochure says that the unit requires a room of 700 cuft. If you dont have that, a louvered door is required. If this door backs onto conditioned space, then you will be pulling heat from the room, potentially costing you money.

Now if you have to install the heater "in your kitchen" as the rep said, it changes things. BUT overall in a year the days you heat the ambient compared to the days you cool the ambient should almost work out. Dont forget that the unit can run in traditional, resistance only mode, if your concerned about pumping cold air into a living space over the winter.

I asked about having an external condenser, but apparently its not in the cards. He did suggest that some have boxed in the unit and brought in air from outside to cool the condenser unit on top of the heater. I suppose this makes sense if you are after the ultimate in efficiency. The unit will work down to -40? or so.

my power bill right now is huge and most of it goes to hot water and the electric stove.

The electric stove i can do nothing about (resistance heater takes power) but the hot water, i can. If i didnt install a new tank last year, id have one of the heat pump units by now.

Im looking at the brochure for the GE right now. The energuide ratings for it say it should use $198/yr compared to $520 for a conventional.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kioti LK3054xs

Quote Originally Posted by techman View Post
    To really save much money, you need to greatly reduce your usage. Timers only make sense if you have a lower rate at night, and you only heat the water at those lower rates. An external thermal blanket reduces the losses, is cheaper and will save more money.Paul
    My rationale was to have the timer come on a hour or so before I was likely to use hot water. This way the heater wouldn't come on right after I'd taken a shower and re-heat it only to sit for 12 hours.

Obviously, this works best if you use hot water at predictable times. As I noted, I was single at the time and any hot water use would likely be either first thing in the morning or in the evening. I didn't particularly care if the water was hot at 2pm.

Tractor
    Bolens 1468 - MF GC2310

I took a diff. aproach to saving energy with my hot water tank.I installed a relay on my clothes dryer,that is connected to the hot water tank.anytime I/wife turns the dryer on,it shuts down the hot water tank.

when you have two or more sources drawing 220 at the same time,is when it hurts your electric bill the most.

We also do not use the dryer when using the stove.
    1993 Bolens 1468: 38" snow blower,front blade and 42"MMM
    2007 MF GC2310 TLB: 60" MMM

Tractor
    New Holland TC33D, LT4000

Quote Originally Posted by Chooglin View Post
    I took a diff. aproach to saving energy with my hot water tank.I installed a relay on my clothes dryer,that is connected to the hot water tank.anytime I/wife turns the dryer on,it shuts down the hot water tank.

when you have two or more sources drawing 220 at the same time,is when it hurts your electric bill the most.

Do you have any data to back that up? I'm not saying you are wrong, but it does go against anything that I have ever heard before.
    New Holland TC33D w/7308 FEL, 6600 BH, 66" boxblade, and pallet forks.
    http://pens.bigelowsite.com

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    BX22

Quote Originally Posted by Chooglin View Post

Unless you pay demand charges, it does not matter how much you use at a time. Price per KWH is the same.

paul

Had one on the WH for years and when if finally died it didn't make a bit of difference on my electric bill. I had it set to turn on about 4am till 9am and then again at 5pm until about 10pm.
    2008 JD 5103, FEL, 6' Frontier, 6' HD boxblade, 7' Landscape rake, More impliments to come, Bobcat (clark) 742 SS.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast