Water Heater Timer

/ Water Heater Timer #1  

sherpa

Platinum Member
Tractor
2004 NH TC33D & 2014 NH Boomer 24
Thinking about getting a timer and put it on my water heater to save on the electric bill. Has anyone had any success using a timer on their water heater?
How much was the savings?
Was the timer hard to install?
What brand timer did you get?
Sherpa

/ Water Heater Timer #2  
I'll be watching this thread with interest.

My electrician recommended we install a timer on the HWH when we built our house 3 years ago, but we decided not to go that route. With two of us in the house we don't use a lot of hot water to begin with, although the idea behind using a timer is to prevent "on" cycles during the hours you won't need hot water (middle of the night). Better to let it cool off a bit more then heat it once just before you're likely to need it (early morning).

I'd definitely be looking for one with battery backup for the timer, since if you lose power frequently you'd always be re-setting the dam* thing.

There should be some available that will allow you to program workdays/weekends as well as time of days cycles. An over-ride function is a must too.

Sean

/ Water Heater Timer #3  
The electric company at my parents installed one free of charge for my parents..

I researched this a while back trying to save money and from what I remember it wasnt really worth the effort - assuming your water heater was pretty new, hence more effecient..

Chilly807 - Why are you heating your hot water? ie: HWH LOL

Brian

/ Water Heater Timer #5  
Timers are good, but if your tank is several years old and your looking for an upgrade, look at the new GE Hybrid heaters. Basically a hot water tank with a heatpump mounted

I got a rundown on them the other day. Over $350 a year in savings. If i didnt install a brand new tank last year i'd have one.

/ Water Heater Timer #6  
Sherpa,

This is totally "un-scientific" because I don't have hard data to back it up. (ie: a meter on the line that goes to the water heater) We have used a timer for years. It turns the heater on for 2 hours each morning, and six hours each evening. We very seldom need additional hot water. And, if we do, we just flip the bypass switch to "on." Even being very conservative in the estimated cost savings, a timer will easily pay for itself in a year. ($5/month for a $50 timer) Plus, a heating element has a limited life. I honestly believe that using a timer makes them last longer.

For a more "official" opinion, see here:
How much money will a water heater timer save?

My first one was bought at an electrical supply house, (actually an electric motor timer). I think the cost was around $80. It lasted for nearly 20 years.
This time, I bought the "heavy duty" model at Lowes. IIRC, it was $50 + tax.

If you have even basic electrical skills/knowledge, you should be able to do this yourself. If not, or if local code will not allow, a minimum service call by a plumber should do it. It's about a 15-30 minute job.

/ Water Heater Timer
We have been playing with the breaker turning the water heater off and on for about a week. It is just the two of us and we don't need much hot water. We are retired and the water heater is a just 30 gallon. We have learn that we can turn the WH on for 20 minutes and have enough hot water for both our baths. I just happen to find some new water heater timers for $20 at the local habitat store and thought that may be better than turning the breaker off and on.
sherpa

/ Water Heater Timer #8  
I installed a timer from home depot about 2 years ago i have it programed to come on at 11.00 pm till 6;00 am when rates are cheapest.
I dont know how much I have saved but this provides enough hot water
for 2 of us
Not difficult to install
It is an electronic timer , about $60.

/ Water Heater Timer #9  
I installed one where I lived in the 90s, I'd say it paid for itself in 6 months or so. 2 hrs in the morning, 2 hr in the evening and it was fine. Then again I was single at the time and other than showering didn't use much hot water anyway.

Have propane where we live now...we keep it turned all the way down and only turn it up when we need hot water. HWH is in the kitchen so it doesn't lose much heat to the air, and generally except in the winter the pilot alone will keep it hot enough.

/ Water Heater Timer #10  
Have had one for 4 yrs now it does save, not sure how much exactly. Simple installation, set the timer to your preference and walk away. Bought mine from lowes.