Started pruning my Peach orchard this week!

/ Started pruning my Peach orchard this week! #1  

CJBOTA

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620 & MX5100
Well, it's that time of the year. I took a week off work. (vacation) and started pruning my Peach orchard. So far I have pruned about 500 trees. Since I have 2000 trees that puts me at 25% done. My goal is to get 1000 trees done this week. My trees range from one to four years old. I can't believe how big they have gotten already. My neighbors think I am crazy for starting an Orchard at 62 years old. So far my only regret is I wish I would have done this 20 years ago. I have really enjoyed the orchard, to me it is very therapudic to watch the progress. I just take it one tree at a time and never look down the row or worry about how many are left. Sooner or later I will get to the last tree. The time changes next week so I should be able to get about 50 trees done every day after work, weather permitting. I want to have them all pruned by the end of the month.
CJ

/ Started pruning my Peach orchard this week! #2  
Sounds like quite a project ! Any pics ?

/ Started pruning my Peach orchard this week! #3  
Most be amazing while in bloom!

/ Started pruning my Peach orchard this week! #4  
And I have been trying to decide if I want 2 or 3 peach trees:laughing: I couldn't imagine 2000!!!

/ Started pruning my Peach orchard this week!
I don't have any pictures at this time. Actually I have never posted any pics on the forum. I need to put that on my things to learn how to do list. Yes, it is quite a site when in bloom. I also have about 300 apple trees, 100 Nectarine trees, and about 50 Bartlett pear trees. I have them all organized in one 12 acre field. I am thinking about adding another 500 Nectarine trees next year in another field accross the road. This year 30% of the tree will be fully mature, next year I will have 60% mature, and by the time I am 65 they will all be mature. I love it when a plan comes together.
CJ

/ Started pruning my Peach orchard this week! #6  
Are peaches pruned like apples central leader? or are they done differently?

/ Started pruning my Peach orchard this week! #7  
Well, it's that time of the year. I took a week off work. (vacation) and started pruning my Peach orchard. So far I have pruned about 500 trees. Since I have 2000 trees that puts me at 25% done. My goal is to get 1000 trees done this week. My trees range from one to four years old. I can't believe how big they have gotten already. My neighbors think I am crazy for starting an Orchard at 62 years old. So far my only regret is I wish I would have done this 20 years ago. I have really enjoyed the orchard, to me it is very therapudic to watch the progress. I just take it one tree at a time and never look down the row or worry about how many are left. Sooner or later I will get to the last tree. The time changes next week so I should be able to get about 50 trees done every day after work, weather permitting. I want to have them all pruned by the end of the month.
CJ

Wow, therapeutic indeed. Sounds like great fun. I am your age and have 42 acres in the northern part of the Shenandoah Valley. I have been thinking of doing a pear orchard for personal use, but am also considering expanding into a hobby business.

How do you harvest the fruit? Any specialized equipment needed? How are you selling/distributing the crop?

Patrick

/ Started pruning my Peach orchard this week! #8  
One thing I have seen about distributing the crop is that some areas are making specialized apple & pear cider blends, and selling them for a limited amount of time at homebrewing shops. It might be a way to sell more of your crop.

/ Started pruning my Peach orchard this week!
Peaches are pruned to have an open center. Looking down from the sky, the tree should look kinda like a donut. You want good air flow and sunlight. I have about 50 Bartlett pear trees and they are much harder to grow here in northeast ohio. I have about 100 nectarine trees and they are grown like peaches. I have about 300 apple trees. (Melrose, Jonagold, Honey Crisp, Gala, and Empire) The apple trees are maturing slower then the peach trees. We have the following varieties of Peaches. (Desiree, Candor, Glenglo, Red Haven, Starfire, John Boy, Fury, Early Loring, Loring, Sun High, Crest Haven, Canadien Harmony, and Coral Star. We also have White Peaches (Blushingstar, White Lady, and Snow Giants)
The Deriree's ripen first, around mid July, Red Haven, the standard by which all peaches are measured are ready by the end of July, and are latest ripening variety is the Snow Giants which are ready in early September. All other varieties fill in between those times. Once they start I should have Peaches all summer.
CJ