What costs more? 1-story w/ double the concrete & roof, or 2-story w/ joists?

/ What costs more? 1-story w/ double the concrete & roof, or 2-story w/ joists? #11  
As mentioned, cost/sf is allways cheaper "going up" but in Fla. you might have some extra cost on the 2nd floor if there are special (structural) huricane requirements on the bldg. code. Will a 2nd fl get you a better view?

/ What costs more? 1-story w/ double the concrete & roof, or 2-story w/ joists?
Thanks for all the replies! :thumbsup:

When I see a house that makes me say wow (exterior), it's usually a 2-story. But there are some 1-stories that look very good, too.

We've also discussed the issue of having to climb stairs in old(er) age. SWMBO almost laughed when I brought that up some time ago, but she's also rather near-sighted on many issues.

A 2-story would fit better on the property as far as removing fewer trees, but we do have 60 acres total, so besides the trees there's no other space reason to constrain the footprint.

/ What costs more? 1-story w/ double the concrete & roof, or 2-story w/ joists?
As mentioned, cost/sf is allways cheaper "going up" but in Fla. you might have some extra cost on the 2nd floor if there are special (structural) huricane requirements on the bldg. code. Will a 2nd fl get you a better view?

Might actually be the view worse. We'd be looking more into trees, rather than below their branches & out across a prairie-ish swamp on the property. Makes for nice sunset views. Looks like the sky's on fire thru the trees sometimes. I gotta figure out a way to photograph it.

/ What costs more? 1-story w/ double the concrete & roof, or 2-story w/ joists? #15  
We decided on a single level just because we are not getting any younger and we just had some experience with my mother having a stroke. We had a house that had steps for the past 20 years. When my mom had a stroke 7 years age, steps became a problem, This fall was the first visit since her stroke. We also added 3/0 doors all around. :thumbsup:

/ What costs more? 1-story w/ double the concrete & roof, or 2-story w/ joists? #16  
Best thing to do is to do some calculating. In my limited experience the most expensive parts of every building I've made are the roofs and the foundations so I think you'll find that a two tory building will cost less per sqaure foot.

Another consideration is what is most common in your area? Every area is a unique circumstance. Sometimes there is wisdom in local customs. Cost per square foot may not be the most important factor.

/ What costs more? 1-story w/ double the concrete & roof, or 2-story w/ joists? #17  
One story, by far.

Easier to heat and cool for one.

I have a two story. The place between the upper and lower story is inaccessable and that is where a lot of ducts and plumbing will run. Once is dried in with sheetrock even the simpliest things require removing sheetrock. I recently had my entire ceiling down for a remodel and I had to change the pipes (original were galv.) and re-did the wiring. If I had wanted to change the ducts I would have had to have done that too. An A/C guy advised me not to change the ducts so I let them stay.

My next project is adding a separate A/C for the upstairs, the main central just doesn't do a good job. In Fla, as in Texas, the majority of the HVAC will be for cooling. Heat rises, so the hot air is continually moving upstairs. It's hard to get a single HVAC set up right to keep both the upstairs and downstairs comfortable.

/ What costs more? 1-story w/ double the concrete & roof, or 2-story w/ joists? #18  
My builder tells me a 2 story is cheaper--BUT:

What is your long term outlook? Is the resale value important? As boomers retire, they will often be looking for a single story, and there are a lot of boomers. A single story will sell faster, especially in some areas where land use laws have pushed homes onto micro lots.

Here in Oregon it's almost illegal to have a lot bigger than 5,000 sq. ft. so almost all new homes are 2 story. So the market for 1 story houses is growing as boomers age.

/ What costs more? 1-story w/ double the concrete & roof, or 2-story w/ joists? #19  
Goose your logic is backwards. 2 story's have much less exterior wall surface for the same SF as a 1-story. If you want your ducts accessible, you can use drop ceilings or removable panel ceilings in key areas. No law says you need drywall there...

/ What costs more? 1-story w/ double the concrete & roof, or 2-story w/ joists? #20  
Not just the ducts. Everything. Plumbing, wiring. Ducts. TV. You get the picture.

Never seen a "drop ceiling" in a residential house. I assume it's what i would call a suspended ceiling. Not sure what removable panel is either.

I think sheetrock looks the best.

If you've got the land, I think a single story is the best choice. Dealing with stairs can be a PITA. Of course being on the 2nd story has it's advantages also.

I really don't think it's any cheaper to go 2 story than single when it's all said and done.

Goose your logic is backwards. 2 story's have much less exterior wall surface for the same SF as a 1-story. If you want your ducts accessible, you can use drop ceilings or removable panel ceilings in key areas. No law says you need drywall there...