Dirt Road Material

/ Dirt Road Material #1  

Pettrix

Platinum Member
Getting ready to do some road work on my private road. My options for a road base is either 3/8 minus "AB" material, which is basically sand and stones 3/8" or less.

The other option is crushed decomposed granite 1/4" in size.

I plan on utilizing the bonding agent at a later time once its compacted:
Soilworks®

Which would be be the better road material?

/ Dirt Road Material #2  
Getting ready to do some road work on my private road. My options for a road base is either 3/8 minus "AB" material, which is basically sand and stones 3/8" or less.

The other option is crushed decomposed granite 1/4" in size.

I plan on utilizing the bonding agent at a later time once its compacted:
Soilworksョ

Which would be be the better road material?

Don't know where you are located. But around here and most places you can get what is called ABC. Once spread and compacted (with a little moisture) its almost as hard as concrete.

I would go there if possible. Looked at Soil works and their claims sound a little over blown.

Just Me

/ Dirt Road Material #3  
Not knowing your location also if any water problems of sort,lots of driveways have hard pack...tighten/holds good.

/ Dirt Road Material #6  
I think the current state of your road and the topography will drive some of your decision making,too. Pictures?

/ Dirt Road Material
The topography is mainly flat with a very slight gain in elevation (2%). The soil is typically clay and rocks.

Don't know where you are located. But around here and most places you can get what is called ABC. Once spread and compacted (with a little moisture) its almost as hard as concrete.

I would go there if possible. Looked at Soil works and their claims sound a little over blown.

Just Me

It would be in Northern Arizona, Prescott area.

I've seen the SoilWorks product and it does work. While never as good as a true asphalt driveway but if properly done, it does work. You need a proper base material. The product must be reapplied every 2 years with a light touch-up coat. All depending on the road traffic.

Last edited:
   / Dirt Road Material #9  
The sand/gravel option. We call that "crush and run" in Va. packs quickly and works best with level topography.

The 1/4 granite stone may be appropriate,particularly if your climate is arid. Sand/gravel mixtures can become very dusty in the dry season.

/ Dirt Road Material #10  
Around here it would be 3/4"AB

Best is to compact it; unless you spin your tires a lot, it is a sturdy surface. Uncompacted is ok, but run a vibratory roller over it, and it is a really hard surface...