Xmas tree farming

/ Xmas tree farming #1  

ejb

Platinum Member
Does anyone here do (or know about) the economies of xmas tree farms? Ever since we moved in here I have been trying to figure out the best way to utilize some/all of the land that we have (and to have an excuse to buy, and write-off, as much tractor equipment as I can <g>).

I know no one gets rich farming (at least not many), but am trying to figure out what endeavor would be best for us (my family). By best I mean one that provides enough benefits to turn at least some profit, but that does not require a disproportiante amount of time or investment.

XMas trees seems like it would be relatively easy to do, not require much specialized equipment and wouldn't require any large scale application of pesticides (which I don't want to do since we also live on this property).

Other benefits, relative to other farming endeavors, is that it doesn't tie you down so much as other types of farming i.e. cattle need to be fed and/or milked everyday etc, whereas xmas trees seem like they just need to be trimmed once or twice per year and the area around them needs to be mowed...

Thoughts anyone?

/ Xmas tree farming #3  
Here is a link to a forestry page that has a list of links on xmas trees. This will give more information than a little bit. http://forestry.about.com/science/forestry/cs/christmastrees1/index.htm
Something else thats an up and coming market is pinestraw. Don't laugh there is more money in it than you think.
That site has alot of other good information that is forestry related as well.
Hope this helps
Gordon

/ Xmas tree farming #4  
ejb,
A word of wisdom...DON'T TRY COLORADO BLUE SPRUCES /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif...
I have over 500 and they are a pain to attend,between the wildlife{moose & deer}and tree jackers plus pruning and around taking care of them...yikes,but than again could be just the area I live in.

On the other hand there sure pretty./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

You might want to look up Tree Farms and see what they have to offer.

My 2 cents worth. /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Xmas tree farming #5  
Hi, Just thought I would add my 2 cents. I'm a forester and have worked with many tree farmers. Given the right climate, soil, species and other factors, tree farming can be profitable. Particularly for value-added things like "cut your own" experiences for urban dwellers. Planting and initial establishment are the high work/maintence times. Otherwise some periodic cultivation/weed control and annual shearing are the major labor items. Don't overlook the potential for wildlife damage. This can be significant and can even result in complete failure. Choosing a species with an optimized growth rate/salability is critical to success. Early weed/grass control during establishment is crucial to survival and growth. Now my best advice: contact your local University Agriculture Extension Service or State Forestry Dept. to get local site-specific recommendations.

/ Xmas tree farming #6  
Jim,
I was wondering do you have any idea what those bugs {moth..beetle..worm etc..} are that attack the Colorado Blue Spruces?

Once the bug bores into the top area in about month half the top turn brown, {dead}and than I cut four inches below the point of green meets brown,than I burn the dead top.

Lot of spruces in this area has been affected by this bug.

When I read your Bio and saw White Mountains and your a forester who else better to ask this question.

/ Xmas tree farming #7  
I don't have a problem with the blue spruces,with some other varieties in this area we have galls which I think are from some type of mite.It ruins the tree and can infect surrounding pines,you can spray but it seems like alot of work,once infected the best thing to do is cut down the tree and burn it.My best luck has been with eastern white pines they grow fast,little maintenance involved and can keep them trimmed to any desired height.Tom

/ Xmas tree farming #8  
Tom,
I agree about the white pines.
I notice walking thru the woods when I come upon group of white pines,once they reach there grown height and nor surrounded by other tree they start to tip over or fall.
I'm going and guess there roots system are top feeders mostly??
The white pines for some unknown reason seem to stand and ice storm better than a naturally.

Thank you for you input.

/ Xmas tree farming #9  
Thomas, There are a variety of tip moths which affect the growing tips (leaders) of pines and spruces. Strangely enough they are not common in the forest (Colorado blue spruce are native to the mountains where I live). They are somewhat notorious for affecting the new growth leaders of plantation grown conifers. The worms bore into the growth tips and hollow out (eat) the insides. They don't do permanent damage but they sure reduce the annual growth and tree form (which is a big problem for Christmas trees and other ornamental trees). Once the trees reach a certain height (6+ feet) then the worms (moth larvae) leave the trees alone. The only known solution for tree growers is to spray the growth tips and around the base of the tree stem at ground level in the spring before the worms move out of the ground up to the tips (Seven works OK). You need to have local people identify the insect for you so that you can find out what time of year to spray (each species are active at different times, but it's rare to have problems with more than one species in a given location). The only other thing I know to do is to destroy the browning growth tips as soon as insect activity is noted to destroy the worm inside. This won't solve the problem on that tree but it will reduce the overall population. Good Luck.

/ Xmas tree farming #10  
White pines are fairly wind firm and well-rooted. Normally they are easy to grow and relatively problem free. Shallow rocky soil or wet boggy soil can result in rooting problems which will result in blowdown. Pines grow best in deep soil or fractured rocky soil that is well-drained.