Texas Spring/Summer Thread

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,001  
I saw a beautiful bluebonnet patch:dance1: today while taking my CDL driving test.:thumbsup: A whole family was there taking photos.:D
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,002  
I saw a beautiful bluebonnet patch:dance1: today while taking my CDL driving test.:thumbsup: A whole family was there taking photos.:D
hugs, Brandi

What's a nice patch of bluebonnets without a bunch of butt-prints in them?:rolleyes: :laughing:

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread
#1,004  
I went to the police range to re-qualify Tuesday; same range with a high hill behind the targets that was being used more than 50 years ago. So the ground behind the targets stays torn up, but then above what looks almost like plowed dirt is a real nice patch of bluebonnets. Quite a lot of bluebonnets around Mountain Creek Lake and Spur 408.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,005  
Bird, can a retired Texas Peace Officer re-qualify at any police range?

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread
#1,006  

No, Don, we have to go to the department from which we retired. And as with most things today, there are enough rules and laws to be confusing. I'm not sure how others do it, but I have to call and ask when they will be having qualifying rounds and each time give them, name, DOB, badge number, social security number, and what gun I'll be using. That's so they can run a new criminal history check each time to make sure I'm still eligible.:) As for which gun I'll be using . . . if you qualify with a revolver, you can only carry revolvers, but if you qualify with a semi-auto, you can carry either. And Dallas only permits certain models and calibers on the range. Then when I go out there, I have to sign and initial a form with a long list of things saying that I'm not under indictment, not been convicted of a felony, not under a peace bond, etc., etc., etc. They notarize the form and keep it, along with the score sheet. And I get a new "Certificate of Proficiency" that expires one year from the month I qualified.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,007  

If the department allows it you can, but they have to adopt a policy, you have to do a bunch of paperwork like Bird said, and then get a card. Texas states the qualification is valid for 2 years, but the federal law states the qualification is valid for one year. If you don't carry out of Texas you only have to go every other year.

Sec. 1701.357. WEAPONS PROFICIENCY FOR CERTAIN RETIRED PEACE OFFICERS AND FEDERAL LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS.

OCCUPATIONS CODE**CHAPTER 1701. LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,008  
Thanks, Repowell for the link. Did you know about the free TEXAS flag for peace officers from the State.

Sec. 1701.161. PROVISION OF STATE FLAG TO NEXT OF KIN OF DECEASED PEACE OFFICER. (a) If the next of kin of a deceased peace officer requests a state flag, the commission shall:
(1) provide a state flag, at no cost to the next of kin, if the peace officer was:
(A) a current peace officer at the time of the officer's death; or
(B) an honorably retired peace officer who voluntarily terminated employment with a law enforcement agency of this state or a political subdivision of this state; and
(2) notify the office of the governor of the death of the peace officer.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,009  
Yesterday, I tilled up two flowerbeds under my raised deck with my little Bolens tiller. We planted 13 shade loving perennials. One flowerbed we didn't plant because we are going to put bedding annual plants in it. I have one more 20' flowerbed to till up and plant as well as the front flowerbeds where we have roses. Those will get little annual flowers to fill in between and around the rose bushes. When we get done, we'll have to then fight with the armadillos and deer to keep them out of the flower beds. The deer like to 'prune' our rose bushes for us.

I went to a local feed and seed store last week. I was pleasantly surprised to find they had extremely healthy looking tomato and pepper plants in 4" pots for only $1.29 each. I bought four more super-fantastic tomatoes and two pepper plants plus some spaghetti squash, straight neck yellow squash, and some more okra seed because my okra has not come up. I think I planted it too early and probably won't get good germination. Anyhow, we planted the tomatoes and peppers and put in 3 hills of spaghetti squash and 3 hills of yellow squash. That makes 12 hills of yellow squash including crook-necks and straight necks. The garden now stretches from fence-to-fence. The only place to plant more is in the walkways.

I took a ph reading with a probe yesterday, and my soil is 6 to 6.5, so all I'm adding is fertilizer.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,010  
I saw that. I will put it on the list for when that day comes.