Texas Spring/Summer Thread

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,011  
I tilled my garden spot for the 1st time yesterday, will plant most today. Checked the garden this morning and I could see where most of the rabbits in Wise county had done a "test drive" in the soft dirt, have 2-150' rolls of 24" x1" chicken wire ordered, should stop those shenanigans.

Got the Peaches and Japanes Maples in, now I want to get a couple that are Red all summer too (maples).

Jim, I always planted Okra last, usually around mid April, I know it has the highest demand for warm earth to germinate. All the Okra sets I saw at the 3 places we went to didn't survive the last two "cold snaps"

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,012  
Looks like this "storm" event has moved on? I received .27" of rain:confused3: All the whooping and hollerin the weathermen did and that's IT!! They even got the temps wrong I bet, I'm think'n frost in the a.m.

I get most of my best weather reports right here on TBN in the Texas threads!

Well, that and from the app on my phone. Hardly any time to watch TV any more.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,013  
Checked the garden this morning and I could see where most of the rabbits in Wise county had done a "test drive" in the soft dirt, have 2-150' rolls of 24" x1" chicken wire ordered, should stop those shenanigans.

Dennis,
You sure 24 inches is enough? How deep are you gonna stick it in the ground? You know they can hop some? A jack would clear it for sure.
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread
#1,014  
Checked the garden this morning and I could see where most of the rabbits in Wise county had done a "test drive" in the soft dirt, have 2-150' rolls of 24" x1" chicken wire ordered, should stop those shenanigans.

Dennis, one year, down in Navarro County, I had a problem with the cottontails eating my garden. Someone told me to spread blood meal around the perimeter of the garden and they wouldn't cross it. So I gave it a try and apparently it really did work, and of course the blood meal sure made the Bermuda around the garden perimeter grow. Naturally, you may have to re-apply it after a rain.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,015  
Repowell and Bird did you know that the Feds requirements to carry for retired peace officers is less than the state's. 10 years Fed as opposed to 15 years state.

Here is a application from HPD.
http://www.hpdretired.com/html/FINALHandgunApplication&Affidavit.pdf

federal law, 18USCA section 926(c), as defined by the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004 and the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act Improvements Act of 2010,

Am I looking at this right and is there any disadvantage by qualifying for FED only?

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread
#1,016  
Don, laws change so much and so often, I don't even try to keep up with all of them.:laughing: But the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004 (H.R.218) said officers with 15 years of service. The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2010 changed that to 10 years and added some people, specifically "a law enforcement officer of the Amtrak Police Department, a law enforcement officer of the Federal Reserve, or a law enforcement or police officer of the executive branch of the Federal Government qualifies as an employee of a governmental agency who is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, and has statutory powers of arrest." So, yes, under Federal law, it's 10 years.

But under State law, Texas Penal Code, Section 46.15 (5), it's still 15 years.

And under the Texas Occupation Code, Section 1701.357, qualification is good for 2 years in Texas. But under Federal law, I need to qualify annually if I carry a concealed gun out of the state.

But now, I'm going to have to ask someone why the last two lines on the back of my "Certificate of Proficiency" last year showed:
"H.R.218 - expires 1 year from date of qualification
Texas State Law - expires 2 years from date of qualification"

But my new "Certificate of Proficiency" simply says:
"The card expires on the last day of month - 1 year from date of qualification listed on front."

As for that HPD application . . . well, each department has to establish written rules and procedures. When I retired, my ID card simply had my name, rank, and that I was retired. When the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004 went into effect, I had to go to the Personnel Division where they made a photo and a new ID card that says "Honorably Retired after 24 years." So in the case of Dallas officers, the ID card that shows "honorably retired" and the number of complete years, along with the "Certificate of Proficiency" card serve the purpose of a CHL. Perhaps Houston puts all the information on one form????

But I really don't understand why an officer, retired or active, would want to go through the procedure and cost (even with a discount) to get a CHL when it's not needed to legally carry a concealed weapon. The only thing I can think of is that the actual shooting course is much easier for a CHL than the police course, the minimum passing score for the CHL is 70 instead of 80 for the police course, and the Texas CHL only has to be renewed every 4 years instead of one. Maybe if a retiree lived a long ways from his old department . .????

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,017  
Dennis,
You sure 24 inches is enough? How deep are you gonna stick it in the ground? You know they can hop some? A jack would clear it for sure.
hugs, Brandi

Not going in the ground any, I will bend it out a couple of inches. Evey time I've buried chicken wire it rust within 3 years. I dont have jack rabbits, wish I did, they dont seem to multiply as much as the cottontails. I have Field fence backing the chicken wire, if they want to jump 24", then miss the field fence, they deserve a "snack":laughing: Coons will likely be a bigger problem, but I have "ideas" for them if that happens:thumbsup: I like having the rabbits around, part of the reason we have no cats, but I do have a 12 gauge.........

Dennis, one year, down in Navarro County, I had a problem with the cottontails eating my garden. Someone told me to spread blood meal around the perimeter of the garden and they wouldn't cross it. So I gave it a try and apparently it really did work, and of course the blood meal sure made the Bermuda around the garden perimeter grow. Naturally, you may have to re-apply it after a rain.

Bird I have heard that about blood meal too my grandfather seemed to use it for every thing in the garden except for lube on the tiller:laughing: He used it on every tree and bush he planted too.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,018  
Oh, I need you guy's imput. I am thinking about using either coastal, wheat hay for mulch this year, leaning towards wheat. I dont want careless weeds so may end up with the coastal to be safe. I have never "mulched " a garden, so wondering if any of you have used "hay" in instead of "straw". Not much "straw" production around these parts!!

I'm thinking the "pros" would be cheap mulch, does the job, will cut down on weeding maintenance and can till it in at the end of the growing season. Negative would be I get a weed such as Careless weeds or sand burs.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,019  
Oh, I need you guy's imput. I am thinking about using either coastal, wheat hay for mulch this year, leaning towards wheat. I dont want careless weeds so may end up with the coastal to be safe. I have never "mulched " a garden, so wondering if any of you have used "hay" in instead of "straw". Not much "straw" production around these parts!!

I'm thinking the "pros" would be cheap mulch, does the job, will cut down on weeding maintenance and can till it in at the end of the growing season. Negative would be I get a weed such as Careless weeds or sand burs.

Got any pine trees close?

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #1,020  

I use alfalfa hay. The local feed stores always seem to have some for horses. I don't have a mega garden to feed the county like Jim so a square bale does it for me.