Texas Spring/Summer Thread

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #381  
Is it just me, but it seems that rain water does a better job watering the grass than my well water, or rather, the grass seems to respond to it better. Thats what I have been "speculating", but the rain may just have better coverage, I don't know, I can sure see a difference though.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread
Is it just me, but it seems that rain water does a better job watering the grass than my well water, or rather, the grass seems to respond to it better. Thats what I have been "speculating", but the rain may just have better coverage, I don't know, I can sure see a difference though.

I've heard some speculation that it's because the rain water doesn't have flouride or other chemicals that are added by our water treatment plants, but if that were the only difference, I don't know how you'd account for the difference with your well water, so maybe it is better coverage, as you mentioned. I've also heard that lightning puts nitrogen in the ground. But for whatever reason, I agree that a good rain helps more than any watering we can go.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #383  
Dennis, I'm no expert, but the perfect even coverage of rain and the deep soaking it provides are two major factors in watering grass in my opinion. I can have sprinklers going 24/7 in the hot summer and the water evaporates before getting to the roots. That's why nighttime watering seems to do better. Besides, since rainwater is free and I don't have to drag hoses around the yard, I'm gonna say it's much better anyhow.;)

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #384  
I can pump water out of the pond to irrigate 1" on the bermuda field ... get a 1/2 inch of rain and see the results ... no chemicals in the pond water. So, I guess mother nature rain is way mo' beta !!

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #385  
I agree, day time watering in Texas during the summer with hoses is mostly "convenient". I try to water at night, or at least in the evening as much as possible. Since I work nights it is a bit easier.

I wonder if the water from a well, or as in BR's case a pond, may have contaminants in enough concentrations to hamper good growth? like lime deposits from our rock strata or just stale water from the wells. Also wonder if there is a higher concentration of "salts" since the Red River has a substantial amount north of us?

I dont know, but I can tell a difference.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #386  
I agree, day time watering in Texas during the summer with hoses is mostly "convenient". I try to water at night, or at least in the evening as much as possible. Since I work nights it is a bit easier.

I wonder if the water from a well, or as in BR's case a pond, may have contaminants in enough concentrations to hamper good growth? like lime deposits from our rock strata or just stale water from the wells. Also wonder if there is a higher concentration of "salts" since the Red River has a substantial amount north of us?

I dont know, but I can tell a difference.

Dennis
Has it stunted your growth?:)
Back when my kids were little we were stationed at Myrtle Beach AFB
for a while. You were not suppossed to let kids drink the water because it was extra high in flouride. About the only bottled water then was for using in steam irons.. If you could find and drink the stuff everybody runs around with today you were a sissy.
Anyway my kids drank mostly the high flouride water and milk. There teeth are nice and white and have never had a cavity in over 40 years.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #387  
Ron, it effected me mentally:laughing: I cant remember bottled water until maybe in the last 10-15 years. Wonder how many bottles it would take to water my little yard:D

I am in Houston this week (if it doesn't rain) The humidity is nasty, at 2am everything that isn't moving is wet.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #388  
Ron, it effected me mentally:laughing: I cant remember bottled water until maybe in the last 10-15 years. Wonder how many bottles it would take to water my little yard:D

I am in Houston this week (if it doesn't rain) The humidity is nasty, at 2am everything that isn't moving is wet.

Dennis,
Thanks. Now I can blame my mentality on "flouride" Never thought of that one:laughing:
I meant to say in regards to your question about salt hurting grass; it probably does, but the base housing at MBAFB was a road width and some beach from the ocean. The air even tasted salty but the grass was the greenest I've ever seen and usually had to be mowed twice a week.
We have about 3 types of grass/weeds up here. You can see them thriving and dying as the season continues. Fall grass is more like wiregrass but it's better than bare dirt:D

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #389  
Not to change from a depressing subject (watering. . .yuk!), but let's brag about gardens. Last night we had squash, tomatoes, onions, new potatoes with snap Bush beans, freezer pickles, and raw banana peppers all from our garden. To round out the meal, my wife warmed up some ribs I smoked awhile back and baked a pan of cornbread. I sure was happy faced :licking::D by the time I finished eatin'. We've been giving away yellow squash and cucumbers for over a week now. The freezer pickles came from my FIL/MIL. My FIL especially likes to make the freezer pickles and they are delicious.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #390  
Not to change from a depressing subject (watering. . .yuk!), but let's brag about gardens. Last night we had squash, tomatoes, onions, new potatoes with snap Bush beans, freezer pickles, and raw banana peppers all from our garden. To round out the meal, my wife warmed up some ribs I smoked awhile back and baked a pan of cornbread. I sure was happy faced :licking::D by the time I finished eatin'. We've been giving away yellow squash and cucumbers for over a week now. The freezer pickles came from my FIL/MIL. My FIL especially likes to make the freezer pickles and they are delicious.

Wow!
You are making me drool more than I do during my mid day nap:licking:

We finished eating the last of our 10 pound planting of fresh green onions a week ago. Nothing else will be ripe for about a month, if we keep watering. We only got one rain in the past 25 days. It was a few days ago and only 0.5 inches here in our gauge, which is all that counts. The weathermen on TV are in the big cities which often have more rain because of the heat buildup from the large artificial ground masses.
When the stuff does ripen we eat a lot of it 2-3 times a day and my precious wife cans and makes pickles for weeks. She picked 12 cups = 3 blueberry pies this morning from one bush and I spotted wild raspberries ready for picking along the edge of the field I was working in this morning.
Time for a nap and dreaming of vine ripe tomatoes and corn a few minutes between picking and eating, cause that's what makes it good.:licking::licking: