Texas Spring/Summer Thread

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #771  
My wife and I have had the phlegm / crud since Christmas. When it was really runny, the Doc gave me a Z pack. It knocked it down and I was able to get some sleep but it came back. I had what I'd call "sticky clingy" phlegm that was hard to cough up but still managed to tickle the back of my throat annoyingly.

Last Friday, we went back to the Doc and she gave me Loraflaxacin antibiotic. The prescription came with about 3 pages of warnings. Took 1 pill Friday, took 1 Saturday. Then I got horrible stuff that you normally take Imodium to help....yes, the #2 that starts with a d. Thinking it might have been just something I ate, I continued eating regular meals and taking my pills. The "d", persisted day and night, and day and night thru Monday when I finally called the Doc and she says "take Pro-biotics and Imodium". I bet I woke up at least 3 or 4 times a night to go to the restroom. Anyhow, talking to my neighbor, he said "you got to eat yogurt"! So, since Tuesday lunch, I've eaten nothing but yogurt. Feeling much better, but tired and no energy. Neighbor also said that the antibiotic is to try and rid of all types of pneumonia and it's really strong stuff. After 6 doses, my coughing and phlegm are finally going down. And the "d" has subsided because I haven't eaten anything for 2 1/2 days. 4 more doses left.

I told the doc that the cure was worse than the illness. Man, I could sure go for a double meat Whataburger.....I've lost almost 13 pounds unexplained since the previous antibiotics (January) .

If the "d" keeps you might want to have the doc check you for antiboitic colitis then again it might just be a side effect

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #772  
If the "d" keeps you might want to have the doc check you for antiboitic colitis then again it might just be a side effect

After my Mom (who had alzheimers) stayed with me 6 weeks, then joined Dad in the nursing home, I got D bad. Stress does it. I now take Imodiaum about once a week. Eating more roughage helps. Salads really help my system. Yogart not as much.
hugs, Brandi

Last edited:
   / Texas Spring/Summer Thread #773  
Most think the cough associated with an upper respiratory infection (URI) will go away in a week or so. The new studies show the cough lasts about 3 weeks (18.9 days) on average with this stuff. We get a lot of folks coming to the ED as they still have a cough after finishing antibiotics. Recent studies also show that the Z-Pak is not as effective as was when it first came out. It is overprescribed by providers and is causing resistance in certain strains of bugs. Antibiotics don't work on viruses but the patient wants an antibiotic so you prescribe a Z-Pak and by the time the patient finishes it their feeling better and happy.

It is the front itself that causes the problems many times, not what blew in. As we age the body loses the ability to adjust to changes in atmospheric pressure so the sinuses plug up causing your head to become a petri dish. Taking meds to keep your sinuses open before the front hits and keeping the sinuses rinsed out will help to avoid the infection.

(This information is not designed to and does not provide medical advice, professional diagnosis, opinion, treatment or services to you or to any other individual. This is general information for educational purposes only. The information provided is not a substitute for medical or professional care, and you should not use the information in place of a visit, call consultation or the advice of your physician or other healthcare provider.) :)

What I highlighted in Red, has been a problem for years, Doctors let the patent dictate treatment. Then on the other hand I think patients should be more involved in their own care. Over prescribing meds has caused allot more problems and as you mentioned, not much good on a virus. Hear about CRE? (Carbapenem-Resistant Enterobacteriaceae)? Just say'in

CRE article for those interested
Carbapenem-Resistant <em>Enterobacteriaceae</em> (CRE)

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #774  
I have made it a practice to always ask why when a doctor prescribes antibiotics. In my case, they always tell me that it is the bacteria in the mucus and drainage from the sinuses that they are giving me the antibiotics for. Essentially, they tell me that my problem is not viral, but due to drainage of bacteria contaminated fluids into my upper respiratory system. It's not a viral problem. Prednisone is very good at stopping immune system reactions due to allergies, however because it suppresses the immune system, you are left open to bacterial infectons. So, my doctor does not give the steroids without also an antibiotic to protect the reduced action of the immune system. It seems that our bodies react to stuff in a way that makes us miserable. In order to make us better, we suppress the body's reaction and have to protect ourselves by some other method. That method is antibiotics. Nuthin' is simple. . . :confused2:

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread
I have made it a practice to always ask why when a doctor prescribes antibiotics. In my case, they always tell me that it is the bacteria in the mucus and drainage from the sinuses that they are giving me the antibiotics for. Essentially, they tell me that my problem is not viral, but due to drainage of bacteria contaminated fluids into my upper respiratory system. It's not a viral problem. Prednisone is very good at stopping immune system reactions due to allergies, however because it suppresses the immune system, you are left open to bacterial infectons. So, my doctor does not give the steroids without also an antibiotic to protect the reduced action of the immune system. It seems that our bodies react to stuff in a way that makes us miserable. In order to make us better, we suppress the body's reaction and have to protect ourselves by some other method. That method is antibiotics. Nuthin' is simple. . . :confused2:

Yep, same here.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #776  
Garlic is simple:D but it does take "cahon'es":laughing:

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #777  
I add garlic and onion powder along with some thyme to all my soups, stews, gumbos or bbq,, I started this about three years ago.. I haven’t been sick once in the last three years, with a cold or flu,, I also get a couple of pints of local honey in the fall and take it along with some toast in the morning with my coffee,, I don’t smoke or chew anymore,, I do drink and think,, mostly beer in the afternoon,, of course it could be the beer,, I just don’t know that I am sick.:confused3:. Lou

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #778  
I know that some seeds you buy just don't germinate. I also know there are tons of altered seeds that are made just to make more profits for the seed companies. With this said, and with all the planting going on, I am looking for ideas to help my family survive a drawn out crisis. I found these seed vaults More Valuable Than Gold | Free Doodle Video Presentation and wondered if this is just another "buy me" gimmick or a good buy. Seeds in foil that suppose to last five years. What do Y'all think?
Oh yeah........my Dogwood trees are blooming!
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #779  
brandi --- I have heirlooms I want to put in my garden.....I just don't have the garden yet. But I'm thinking you can find them cheaper if you look around. Packing them so they're good for 5 yrs might be ok....but what's the point? Plant 'em, harvest, and save seeds for the next year...Unless it's going to be 5 years before you have a garden....

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #780  
brandi --- I have heirlooms I want to put in my garden.....I just don't have the garden yet. But I'm thinking you can find them cheaper if you look around. Packing them so they're good for 5 yrs might be ok....but what's the point? Plant 'em, harvest, and save seeds for the next year...Unless it's going to be 5 years before you have a garden....
Mike,
So the seeds need to be heirlooms to plant and then save their seeds for the next year? I remember trying to save seeds and they didn't germinate the next year.
hugs, Brandi