Page 79 of 526 FirstFirst ... 29697677787980818289129179 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

Default Re: Texas Spring/Summer Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bindian View Post
    Mike,
    So the seeds need to be heirlooms to plant and then save their seeds for the next year? I remember trying to save seeds and they didn't germinate the next year.
    hugs, Brandi
    Brandi, if hybrid seeds germinate year-to-year, they will go back to the strongest part of the hybrid chain or un-hybridize themselves. Some do it quickly and some take longer. You do have to start with heirlooms to keep heirlooms.

It's kinda like hybrid bluegills in a pond. After so many years and reproduction cycles, you'll just have bluegills.
    Jim

Tractor
    NH TC45

like jim said ....or...some hybrids just will not germinate. They're made like that so you have to buy new seed every year. how do they do that? ...i dunno....I don't have a garden yet. Workin' on it! So the idea of heirlooms is purposely to be able to save next years crop seed. And you will pay more for heirlooms than annuals BUT the link you posted seems really $$ to me.
    Mike

Tractor
    Kioti DK 35 now

iIt was down right warm today for march, I had a high on the back porch of 96*. Went ahead and changed the batteries on both the receiver and the temp gauge, still showed 96*, did you guy's show temps like this??
    Dennis

"Winter 2013 a majority of the country is setting new cold records, Colorado is setting new record HIGH's"

"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."

Tractor
    Mahindra 6520 4WD

Thanks guys! I'll just buy heirlooms from now on.

Dennis,
    I don't know for sure. My kids and I were headed east towards Woodville this afternoon and the OAT (Outside Air Temperature) gauge in the truck said 81.
    hugs, Brandi

Tractor
    Kubota 5030HSTC

dunno, but I will...today ordered wireless weather station which will connect to PC and internet, keeping records 4/7.

got this one, cheap enough, will see if it is reliable

Ambient Weather WS-2080-2-KIT Dual Zone Wireless Home Weather Station
    Joy is having the tools you need and needing the tools you have!

Kubota 5030 HSTC, BB, Danueser PHD, LA853 QA HD FEL w JD toothbar, 3pt chisel, 3 pt disk, 6' shredder, Kubota FEL hay spike, 3pt hay fork w carryall, Kubota RTV 1140

Tractor
    Kubota L5030 1947 Farmall A John Deere Z910

Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    iIt was down right warm today for march, I had a high on the back porch of 96*. Went ahead and changed the batteries on both the receiver and the temp gauge, still showed 96*, did you guy's show temps like this??
    As we were driving around central Texas the car temp gauge only hit 86˚ today.
    TXDon

NWS shows Denton got up to 82 and I think that's about what it was here on the patio. I know it got to 81 inside the house and I turned the HVAC to cooling for a couple of hours.
    Bird

Tractor
    Kubota L5030 1947 Farmall A John Deere Z910

First BLUEBONNET of 2013 on our sand hill.
    Jim, did you get a bluebonnet picture with you grandkids?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -bluebonnet-2013-lg-jpg  
    Last edited by txdon; 03-18-2013 at 11:46 PM.
    TXDon

Tractor
    Kubota 2910 HST

Quote Originally Posted by txdon View Post
    Going to miss the flowers this year in TX. No flowers for a while up here. Overnight temperatures below freezing for a least the next. Where is that ground hog so I can ring his neck.

Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

Quote Originally Posted by txdon View Post
    Don, my bluebonnets are still very small plants down next to the ground. It will be 2 weeks minimum before they even put up bloom heads. Your warmer weather and heavier rainstorms have given yours a head start. It's amazing the difference in vegetation from here to there. My oak trees are just starting to bloom and leaf-out. Even the trees in DFW always seem to be ahead of us by 2 weeks or so.

I had a ball with my grandkids on Saturday and Sunday. It's so rare to have just them here without having a lot of other people to look after. I admit that being around 4 young and pretty girls sure makes me feel young. . . right before it makes me feel very old when I am tired and they are just getting going. They made the big hike around our property and I drove the Kawasaki Mule.

I took my granddaughter who is staying for a week fishing for her first time yesterday. I couldn't keep her hook baited fast enough. She caught a 4-5 lb catfish (her first one ever) and then we both managed to catch one at the same time. Her's was 2-1/2 lb and mine was 1/2 lb. I took a picture below. She wanted to hold the fish in the gills like I did instead of use the stringer, so the fish picked up some dry grass flopping around while she got brave enough to do it. It kinda grossed her out, but she was determined to pick up that fish. I think we may be back fishing again before she leaves.

My pond in the background is so low that you can see the edge of the rocks I put into it for structure. I'd estimate the depth is still around 8' in the middle, but it is down about 4-1/2'. We really need some rain with runoff. I'm hoping for lots of April showers, even if Ron Hall and Betty aren't here to bring rain like they normally do.

EDIT: Don, notice that she is a child of the times. She has a fish in one hand and her I-phone in the other. As you mentioned earlier, you can't separate kids and phones these days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -firstcatfish-01-jpg  
    Jim

Page 79 of 526 FirstFirst ... 29697677787980818289129179 ... LastLast