Texas Spring/Summer Thread

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #881  
This year I am planting Israel melons because they typically run almost $4 each at the fruit stand.

Are those Ein Dor melons? I grew those a few years back before I sold my house in Ft. Worth. I had to re-plant after the freeze this year; I'm using four year old frozen seeds. I've never seen Ein Dors in a store.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #882  
Are those Ein Dor melons? I grew those a few years back before I sold my house in Ft. Worth. I had to re-plant after the freeze this year; I'm using four year old frozen seeds. I've never seen Ein Dors in a store.

Similar, but not exactly like the Ein Dor. It's also called an Ogen Melon and grown in Israel. I just buy them at a local fruit stand and save the seeds. The meat is light yellow to white and extremely sweet with a mild taste. The netted look on the skin of the melon is large and much lighter in color than a regular cantaloupe. They don't have the rich taste of a cantaloupe, but are sweeter, almost a dessert melon. I don't know a lot about them except that the fruits I buy have seeds that preserve easily and germinate well the following year. If grown around cantaloupes, they rapidly change to a hybrid after cross-pollination.

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread
Similar, but not exactly like the Ein Dor. It's also called an Ogen Melon and grown in Israel. I just buy them at a local fruit stand and save the seeds. The meat is light yellow to white and extremely sweet with a mild taste. The netted look on the skin of the melon is large and much lighter in color than a regular cantaloupe. They don't have the rich taste of a cantaloupe, but are sweeter, almost a dessert melon. I don't know a lot about them except that the fruits I buy have seeds that preserve easily and germinate well the following year. If grown around cantaloupes, they rapidly change to a hybrid after cross-pollination.

I had a similar experience with the Israel melons and their seed. I don't know of any place here close to buy Israel melons, but I'll buy them if I find any.

Incidentally, I bought an 8# bag of California Oranges today. They're beautiful and taste great, and are monsters to peel. Maybe because I don't know how???

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #884  
Jim, Whipper is getting very upset, she says she is not the reason there will be no Easter eggs this year.

Attachments

• sad whip.jpg
    sad whip.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 76
   / Texas Spring/Summer Thread #885  
Well my niece got grand champion with her lamb,I was so proud.
That's her in the yellow shirt IMG-20130326-00222.jpg

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #887  
Rain is just "down the street", looks like Jim may already be getting the "liquid gold":laughing: Hopefully we get a measurable amount. Good intense lightning and thunder right now and the storms look on radar to be wide spread:thumbsup:

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #888  
Very good, hard rain so far!! looks like just under 1" so far in the gauge (using a flashlight) We may get some nice totals over the next 4 days!!!!

/ Texas Spring/Summer Thread #889  
That is awesome!! She auction it??
Brought $4,250 with about another $1,000 on add ons.
Grand Champion Steer sold for $40,000.
Its pooring down rain and thunder here.

Last edited:
   / Texas Spring/Summer Thread
Being nearly deaf when I take my hearing aids out, I didn't see or hear any rain, but the NWS shows Denton got exactly 1" and I just poured a little more than that (maybe 1.03") out of my gauge. It's certainly most welcome.