Swamp People - Alligator Hunting

/ Swamp People - Alligator Hunting #1  

Beltzington

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3720
Maybe there are some folks on the forum who can answer some questions I have since watching this show for the last couple years.

- Why don't they wear gloves when pulling in the gator?

- Why don't they use some type of winch and lift instead of wrestling the gators into the boat by hand?

- Wouldn't a bang-stick be more efficient and safer than a firearm for killing the gator?

Just wondering if their methods were the most effective or if tradition or laws played a role.

/ Swamp People - Alligator Hunting #2  
Simply because is most of their $$$$$$$$$$$$ is spent on when they take their cousins or sisters out on a date ! :laughing: ;)

Boone

/ Swamp People - Alligator Hunting #3  
Maybe there are some folks on the forum who can answer some questions I have since watching this show for the last couple years.

- Why don't they wear gloves when pulling in the gator?

- Why don't they use some type of winch and lift instead of wrestling the gators into the boat by hand?

- Wouldn't a bang-stick be more efficient and safer than a firearm for killing the gator?

Just wondering if their methods were the most effective or if tradition or laws played a role.

A line slips through your hand pretty easily when wearing gloves and the majority of gators don't put up such a fight that they hurt your hands.

If you tie the line to a fixed object the gator will either pop the line or capsize your boat. You have to play the line, its like using the drag on your fishing reel.

Everyone has a 22, what's a bang-stick? ;)

Simply because is most of their $$$$$$$$$$$$ is spent on when they take their cousins or sisters out on a date ! :laughing: ;)
Boone

I think you have Louisiana mixed up with West Virginia. :laughing:

/ Swamp People - Alligator Hunting #5  
Egon said:
What looks more impressive???:thumbsup:

Exactly. It is all for tv. Grandpa did this many years ago and laughs at these fools and their ignorance.

/ Swamp People - Alligator Hunting #8  
Dang stick is a pole with a tiny chanber on the end and is spring loaded and you put a 12 gauge shotshell in it and when you push it onto whatever it trigger is and fires the shell. They use it shark fishing and some guys use it gator hunting.

As for the .22 vs shotshells may be a money thing as they look like they live on a tight budget. 25 shotshells $6, 500 .22 bullets $14

/ Swamp People - Alligator Hunting #9  
Probally a lot less hide damage from the 22 also.

/ Swamp People - Alligator Hunting #10  
Sounds like there is just a small spot on the gators head in which a shot will kill it.

I would assume a bang stick would need the head to be visible and still for a few seconds in order to place the bang stick on that spot and have it work, where as the 22 eliminates he need for anything to be placed on the spot and it could / should save time.