Bees in covered split wood stack.

/ Bees in covered split wood stack. #1  

Cliff_Johns

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 4110
I have a small (8 foot by two feet deep by 4 feet high) building that is sided on three sides and has a roof. This is where I keep the firewood near my house so I don't have to walk so far when I need some more. The 3 sided design keeps the wood very dry facing away from the rain and wind as it does.

Some bees have taken up residence, and I rather they weren't there. I can't pinpoint the hive because they go in and out of the wood all over the place, so I can't just spray them. I had an old Shell-nopest strip hanging in there for years and never had a probem, but I think it finally died and Shell no-pest strips have gone the way od the Dodo.

Any sugestions? I'd rather not end up with toxic stuff all over the wood I'm going to burn in my house either.

Cliff

/ Bees in covered split wood stack. #2  
I have a small (8 foot by two feet deep by 4 feet high) building that is sided on three sides and has a roof. This is where I keep the firewood near my house so I don't have to walk so far when I need some more. The 3 sided design keeps the wood very dry facing away from the rain and wind as it does.

Some bees have taken up residence, and I rather they weren't there. I can't pinpoint the hive because they go in and out of the wood all over the place, so I can't just spray them. I had an old Shell-nopest strip hanging in there for years and never had a probem, but I think it finally died and Shell no-pest strips have gone the way od the Dodo.

Any sugestions? I'd rather not end up with toxic stuff all over the wood I'm going to burn in my house either.

Cliff

Im allergic to bees so would problay have to get me a Bear:D Just kiddin with,are they honey bees?If they are sure someone close will come get them out for free to keep:thumbsup:

/ Bees in covered split wood stack. #3  
Permethrin, the same thing used for tick and flea dip, will push them out with low toxicity to pets. Mix it up per the instructions and put it in a sprayer and lay it down heavy.

/ Bees in covered split wood stack. #4  
1 - Smoke. Find a way to smoke them out. Bees hate smoke. Find the queen and get he out and they will follow.

2 - Get a bee hive and see if you can move the queen to the hive, free hony for you.

/ Bees in covered split wood stack. #6  
what kind of bees?

/ Bees in covered split wood stack.
I have no idea what kind of bees they are. They smaller and dark, not yellow or white striped.

Smoking them out with close neighbors might be problematic, although that does give me the idea to hook the tractor exaust up to a hose and smoke them out that way.

While burning them out is an amusing idea, I think I'll pass on that one. :)

I wonder how many dog collars it would take to produce the same result as one no-pest strip.

Cliff

/ Bees in covered split wood stack.
Permethrin, the same thing used for tick and flea dip, will push them out with low toxicity to pets. Mix it up per the instructions and put it in a sprayer and lay it down heavy.

I hadn't heard of this. I will look it up.

Cliff

/ Bees in covered split wood stack. #9  
Wait to a cooler day and get a long rake and pull out a couple pieces of wood out at a time from one end. Each day pull out a couple more. As time goes on you will eventually find the nest center. isolate it over time and then when you have it located get a can of bee bomb foam spray and take it too them. This will work. Also, don't push your luck and try too many pieces at a time. If you are allergic to bees have someone else do it (an exterminator),

/ Bees in covered split wood stack. #10  
I've had yellow-jackets build nests in wood stacked under cover. Just observe the major entry points (you want to know where they first touch down) and sprinkle some Sevin dust there. They will track it (it clings to feet, abdomen) into the nest, contaminate the food supply and kill them all within a week or so...at least it worked for me several times. When we got to the last nest it was wrapped all around dozens of pieces of firewood.....overall probably 4' wide, 10-12" high and the same or more deep. LOTS of dead yellow-jackets.