Driveway alternative material?

/ Driveway alternative material? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
This is hard to search so hope not a dupe. I'm looking for a less-dusty driveway alternative material for my 300 ft drive and add-on section of 80 ft back to the barn. Concrete is nice but too rich for me. Blacktop would work but I have to maintain it and I'm 63 years old and can't do it forever.

We have crushed small stones over a substanital base and no ruts or holes and really just plan to stay with that unless I can come up with a better idea. I have seen people use what appears to be cold recycled blacktop and it looked nice. I have also seen--on TV-- a rock and glue thing that looked pretty and didn't seen to require much care. There was also a rock and glue-- or whatever--thing that allowed the grass to go through the drive and you just mowed it. Only the tire tracks showed.

Does anyone know anything about drive alternatve materials or done any or this or know where to look?

/ Driveway alternative material? #2  
This is hard to search so hope not a dupe. I'm looking for a less-dusty driveway alternative material for my 300 ft drive and add-on section of 80 ft back to the barn. Concrete is nice but too rich for me. Blacktop would work but I have to maintain it and I'm 63 years old and can't do it forever.

We have crushed small stones over a substanital base and no ruts or holes and really just plan to stay with that unless I can come up with a better idea. I have seen people use what appears to be cold recycled blacktop and it looked nice. I have also seen--on TV-- a rock and glue thing that looked pretty and didn't seen to require much care. There was also a rock and glue-- or whatever--thing that allowed the grass to go through the drive and you just mowed it. Only the tire tracks showed.

Does anyone know anything about drive alternatve materials or done any or this or know where to look?

I am looking too, there is a material that the roads department uses that seems to collect moisture that keeps the dust down. Ir looks like a combination of rock and sand that when driven on goes hard. When the rain washes it out they wet it down and grade it again which would be ideal for a box blade but I am not sure what the mixture is;) go figure.

/ Driveway alternative material? #4  
I know 3 people that have put cold recycled blacktop on their driveways. All of them wish they had not done it. They complain about the lawnmower throwing little bits and pieces of asphalt in the summer. In the winter, any kind of snow removal also involves removing some loose material.

If dust is your biggest concern, how about a dust controlling agent such as calcium-chloride, or any other such product? I have it on the road in front of my place and it works great.

/ Driveway alternative material? #5  
Here in Georgia on county roads when they went from gravel roads to paved...the counties put down small stone on the roads and coated it with liquid asphalt and it has held up for decades and I cannot remember the name they use to describe it...but it finally dries out and is bleached by the sun and ends up almost white...someone will know the name and post it or I might remember it....

/ Driveway alternative material? #6  

Last fall I had [millings] crushed blacktop put down on my 900' drive with a hill. He used a large vibrating roller after. This should be done in the summer when the heat hurrys the compact. Snow plowing was no problem. On the hill where erosion was always a problem, no wash out. I wish I had done this years ago. No hump in the middle. ONLY PROBLEM no use for the box blade

/ Driveway alternative material? #7  
There are soil stabilizers and soil cements. One stabilizer is called "polypavement" which is a liquid soil stabilizer. Just grade your road first, then spray it on. For really good applications rototill it in, then smooth off and roller it. But just spraying it on and rolling it seems to work. There are other brands, just google soil polymers for roads.

/ Driveway alternative material? #8  
Brin, I don't know what they call it down your way, but around here we call it tar and chip.

/ Driveway alternative material? #9  
Dust comes from the dirt underneath, not so much the stones.

/ Driveway alternative material? #10  
Here in Georgia on county roads when they went from gravel roads to paved...the counties put down small stone on the roads and coated it with liquid asphalt and it has held up for decades and I cannot remember the name they use to describe it...but it finally dries out and is bleached by the sun and ends up almost white...someone will know the name and post it or I might remember it....

Around here they call that chip-and-seal. As I recall, it is about 1/10 the price of an asphalt road. It holds up pretty well to rural traffic here, too.

As you said, it turns a nice white over the years. But if you've ever riddin a bicycle on a hot sunny day on a white sheet, you'll get sunburn on the underside of your nostrils! :laughing: