Hornet Nest near Propane Tank

/ Hornet Nest near Propane Tank #1  

CurlyDave

Elite Member
Tractor
JD TLB 110
I walked out to check the propane level and found what seems to be a weathered hornet nest lying next to the tank. See pix. This is a 500 gallon tank and it is ~ 3 to 4' in diameter. The nest is about a foot across.

Looks to me like the fool thing fell off a tree and rolled downhill to its resting spot.

Does anyone know the habits of hornets? I have found nests about this size in the woods before in summer they were full of what looked to be bald-faced hornets, with the attitude of a pit bull in the midst of a PMS session.

Is the nest empty at this time of year, or are they hibernating inside?

If it was almost anywhere else, I would just pour a pint of gasoline on it and fire it off. But the propane tank makes it kind of dangerous to do that.

The temperature was 49 degrees this evening and there was no sign of activity. If I go back down there with a shovel and a plastic garbage bag tomorrow is there a chance I can get it all into the bag without getting stung, or will I live to regret this action? We have garbage pickup and if I can tie the bag off, I can get it trucked far away...

Wasp spray? Other noxious chemicals?

Any other suggestions?

Attachments

• Hornet Nest & Tank.jpg
    Hornet Nest & Tank.jpg
    502.8 KB · Views: 678
  • Hornet Nest.jpg
    Hornet Nest.jpg
    514.2 KB · Views: 1,377
   / Hornet Nest near Propane Tank #2  
Yeah I am thinking full new can of wasp spray..may not be a thing in it. but if you want you can go down there with a 5 iron and knock the pi** out of that thing, but I would not recomend that. Yeah wasp spray is safest, and soak it until the can is empty. Then move it with a pitchfork or stick into a trash can lined with a good new bag. Tie up the bag quick. If there was no one at home you are out 5 bucks and will feel foolish,, If they are home, well what is your health and well being worth anyway?

James K0UA

/ Hornet Nest near Propane Tank #3  
Yeah I am thinking full new can of wasp spray..may not be a thing in it. but if you want you can go down there with a 5 iron and knock the pi** out of that thing, but I would not recomend that. Yeah wasp spray is safest, and soak it until the can is empty. Then move it with a pitchfork or stick into a trash can lined with a good new bag. Tie up the bag quick. If there was no one at home you are out 5 bucks and will feel foolish,, If they are home, well what is your health and well being worth anyway?

James K0UA

Sounds like a good plan to me.:thumbsup:

/ Hornet Nest near Propane Tank #4  
Are they in it? Once the nest falls the the ground, I thought they abandoned the nest.

If it is active, first thing in the morning, when it's the coolest out, is the best time to fight them. I've destroyed dozens of nests early in the morning, even in summer, without any problems. Never during the heat of the day!!!!

Eddie

/ Hornet Nest near Propane Tank #5  
The nest are vacated, and not reused. Lots of folks covet them as decorations. I'd bet yours is empty.

/ Hornet Nest near Propane Tank #6  
That thing is empty, all is good to scoop it up. If it makes you better smack it with a long object before handling. Hornets don't reuse nests and it isn't that time of year where one would be that big already. If it was recently disturbed or knocked down you would have seen activity by now.

/ Hornet Nest near Propane Tank #7  
I had one in my lane, went out late one night and covered it with a black plastic 5 gallon pail and after two weeks of bright sunshine hitting that and heating it up there wasn't much left of the nest or bugs. If you were in a hurry to kill them you could always drill a hole in the bottom of the bucket and spray insect killer thru that, or gasoline, then light the whole thing up.

/ Hornet Nest near Propane Tank #8  
Send it to a Kabota dealer....:laughing::laughing:

/ Hornet Nest near Propane Tank #9  
The nest are vacated, and not reused. Lots of folks covet them as decorations. I'd bet yours is empty.

Yes, looks like last year's nest. I've always heard them referred to as "paper" wasp nests and if they are recovered after being abandoned, and are in really good condition still, some folks will pay good money for them. They may cut a short portion of the branch off and keep the nest intact and still adhered to the branch which makes for a good display technique.

This one looks like it is deteriorating as it lays on the ground there...:(

/ Hornet Nest near Propane Tank #10  
it looks too big for this time of year and I like jdgreen idea. Just cover it with a bucket/can and leave for a few days then check it.
I have done both can and garbage bag ideas.