Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD TLB 110

Default Hornet Nest near Propane Tank

I walked out to check the propane level and found what seems to be a weathered hornet nest lying next to the tank. See pix. This is a 500 gallon tank and it is ~ 3 to 4' in diameter. The nest is about a foot across.

Looks to me like the fool thing fell off a tree and rolled downhill to its resting spot.

Does anyone know the habits of hornets? I have found nests about this size in the woods before in summer they were full of what looked to be bald-faced hornets, with the attitude of a pit bull in the midst of a PMS session.

Is the nest empty at this time of year, or are they hibernating inside?

If it was almost anywhere else, I would just pour a pint of gasoline on it and fire it off. But the propane tank makes it kind of dangerous to do that.

The temperature was 49 degrees this evening and there was no sign of activity. If I go back down there with a shovel and a plastic garbage bag tomorrow is there a chance I can get it all into the bag without getting stung, or will I live to regret this action? We have garbage pickup and if I can tie the bag off, I can get it trucked far away...

Wasp spray? Other noxious chemicals?

Any other suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -hornet-nest-tank-jpg   -hornet-nest-jpg  
    40 Acres on a hill - fantastic view. JD 110 TLB, 4-n-1, 12" bucket, 18" bucket, Addington thumb, rock bucket (doubles as root grapple)

Not only do we not understand the universe, if someone explained it to us, we would not know what he was talking about.

Isaac Asimov

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Default Re: Hornet Nest near Propane Tank

Yeah I am thinking full new can of wasp spray..may not be a thing in it. but if you want you can go down there with a 5 iron and knock the pi** out of that thing, but I would not recomend that. Yeah wasp spray is safest, and soak it until the can is empty. Then move it with a pitchfork or stick into a trash can lined with a good new bag. Tie up the bag quick. If there was no one at home you are out 5 bucks and will feel foolish,, If they are home, well what is your health and well being worth anyway?

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Tractor
    NH TD5030, 861 Ford Powermaster, 555A Ford Backhoe, S150x SnapperPro ZTR, Polaris Ranger XP800

Quote Originally Posted by k0ua View Post
    Yeah I am thinking full new can of wasp spray..may not be a thing in it. but if you want you can go down there with a 5 iron and knock the pi** out of that thing, but I would not recomend that. Yeah wasp spray is safest, and soak it until the can is empty. Then move it with a pitchfork or stick into a trash can lined with a good new bag. Tie up the bag quick. If there was no one at home you are out 5 bucks and will feel foolish,, If they are home, well what is your health and well being worth anyway?

James K0UA

Sounds like a good plan to me.
    Chris

Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

Are they in it? Once the nest falls the the ground, I thought they abandoned the nest.

If it is active, first thing in the morning, when it's the coolest out, is the best time to fight them. I've destroyed dozens of nests early in the morning, even in summer, without any problems. Never during the heat of the day!!!!

Eddie

Tractor
    Mahindra 2615HST

The nest are vacated, and not reused. Lots of folks covet them as decorations. I'd bet yours is empty.
    I thank God for these gifts: 2005 Mahindra 2615 HST w/loader, (485 hours), and 3710 backhoe. Markham tooth bar, Bush Hog SQ60 rotary cutter, Bush Hog 3507 angle blade, Bush Hog LLR84 landscape rake w/gauge wheels, Rankin loader mounted forks, Paumco Quick Spade, Agri-Ease 3 point log splitter.

Tractor
    Kubota, L4400, BX1870

That thing is empty, all is good to scoop it up. If it makes you better smack it with a long object before handling. Hornets don't reuse nests and it isn't that time of year where one would be that big already. If it was recently disturbed or knocked down you would have seen activity by now.
    Kubota L4400 - Land pride rear scraper blade, 6 foot landscape rake, 72'' Frontier Box Blade, Land Pride 60'' finish mower, Land Pride Q/A pallet forks, County Line Carryall built to haul and loaded R-1's
    Kubota RTV500
    Kubota BX1870

Previous Tractors: 1978 B7100, 2009 B3200

Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

I had one in my lane, went out late one night and covered it with a black plastic 5 gallon pail and after two weeks of bright sunshine hitting that and heating it up there wasn't much left of the nest or bugs. If you were in a hurry to kill them you could always drill a hole in the bottom of the bucket and spray insect killer thru that, or gasoline, then light the whole thing up.

Tractor
    Kioti DK-40

Send it to a Kabota dealer....

Tractor
    Kubota BX24; John Deere 4020

Quote Originally Posted by AchingBack View Post
    The nest are vacated, and not reused. Lots of folks covet them as decorations. I'd bet yours is empty.
    Yes, looks like last year's nest. I've always heard them referred to as "paper" wasp nests and if they are recovered after being abandoned, and are in really good condition still, some folks will pay good money for them. They may cut a short portion of the branch off and keep the nest intact and still adhered to the branch which makes for a good display technique.

This one looks like it is deteriorating as it lays on the ground there...

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

it looks too big for this time of year and I like jdgreen idea. Just cover it with a bucket/can and leave for a few days then check it.
    I have done both can and garbage bag ideas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast