Found a coyote, I think

/ Found a coyote, I think #101  
In NY, If it is against the law to have it, then you could very well see a heavy fine for even giving it aid. If the DEC is decent they'll tell you to put it down. This applies to NY law, know this from experience. Might want to check around, especially before posting on a public forum.........oooops to late.

That's one of the reasons I expatriated from New York. Too many stupid laws, and too many ex- and not-to-ex-mafiosos running the government.

/ Found a coyote, I think #102  
...A couple of experts have said she's too old unless there is a younger one with her and they can learn together.

Sounds like the decision to keep her for a while longer has had some unintended very negative effects. I hope all turns out well.

/ Found a coyote, I think #103  
I wouldn't necessarily be worried about her getting cranky in evenings -- I've seen the same behavior from domestic dogs, and heck, we had a kitten that was h-e-l-l on wheels in the evenings for a bit when he was 6-7 months old. I seem to recall that many puppies and kittens go through a "terrible twos" stage at some point. You just have to show them who's boss, and that can include ignoring them or putting them in a time out.

/ Found a coyote, I think #104  
John,
S219 must have been reading my mind. I was going to send a similar message. Sounds like a few different things going on. The one that stands out is not wanting to go back in the box, I noticed she sleeps with your glove the reason may be your scent on it,it comforts her. Many complain that there dogs chew shoes when they are home alone that is the reason scent. You may try leaving something with your scent in the box an old shirt. One trick I learned was to use a t-shirt I really sweat in lots of scent. Another thing may be separation anxiety. She realizes it is dark and bed time is near and she is going to be left alone. Where do your other dogs sleep? Remember Pack is important to sandy. You should be the dominate alpha leader as well as your wife, and sandy is missing you at night. Does she sleep near by?

I need to think about it a bit I want a happy ending for your family and sandy.

/ Found a coyote, I think #105  
John I am not sure how it is going to turn out at this point, I am sorry.
She sounds to be acting kinda like my male does at times, he can get stubborn and refuses to do what you expect from him, he has never made the attemp to bite, but has torn my forearms up fighting to keep from something he didn't want to do. This one one of the rare times he got through the underground fence and I didn't have a leash or anything to use as one. I tried to make him walk by holding his collar, we got about three steps and he rolled on his back and started thrashing with his front paws. I am assuming he was afraid of going back across the fence line, even though I had taken the collar off him. I still don't think he asociates the collar with the shock.
After my wife got me his leash he was fine, go figure.
I don't know the answer and I don't want to lull you into working though it thinking all will be fine, sometimes things don't work out no matter how hard we try, or want them to. It could be something as simple as her not being ready to come in and fighting it, or some inner sense she is picking up.
No matter what you decide it will be difficult and probably weigh on your mind for quite a while, but the decision will have to be yours and your wifes to make and will be done in her best interest.
Tough place to be in, I wish you a lot of luck
Randy

/ Found a coyote, I think
You guys are right.

We have done away with the box and have her on a leash that reaches the middle of the room. All the dog's beds are right there and we are sleeping nearby. She has shirts and sweaters and old shoes, but she had them in her box too.

The last couple of days she has been a lot better. When I take her out at night she is very wary and slow to go, but then she doesn't want to come in. Or, more accurately, she snaps at me if I try to pick her up and she pulls hard against me on the leash. If I let off the pressure, so does she. It's a standoff. So I clip the leash and leave her in the dark, alone, and go back in. A few minutes later I go out and say "inside" and she runs up the steps and waits at the door, happily coming in.

Since she is always associating with the other dogs now, they are playing and sleeping together, she is exhibiting all the traits I'd expect from a domestic dog. Play, submission, mock attacks, and deep rem sleep, to name a few. Plus, if Bei Bei has a ball, Sandy will scheme to get it. Slowly working her way up close, Laying on her back advertising submission, circling. Very interesting to see the tension play out in tactics. If she is revved up in a game with Bei Bei, I get mock biting if I reach out to play with her too. Just hard enough to not be kissing, but not hard enough to damage me or draw blood, usually. Certainly less than the biting she gives and receives form Bei Bei. She tailors her attack even when excited. I say "nice" to her, calmly, several times and reach out slowly to touch her. "Nice". And then pet her back gently and she's out of mock attack mode and just enjoys the touch. It's clear she trusts us, we are all pack members. Then I walk away and she pounces on Bei Bei, who puts up with it to a certain point and them flattens her with a strong Alpha response. Just for a second and then they are rolling around again, deep in play. The two of them are completely bonded. Today I took Bei Bei with me on some errands for an hour and while I was gone Sandy was looking for her.

At this point, except for the night time wildness, she's a domestic dog in every way except, maybe smarter. The trusting and loving part, where she is completely vulnerable and happily puts her fate in my hands, is the most touching. In spite of the fact she's a wild thing and wary by nature and cautious, she can completely trust too. Little does she know how tenuous her future is.

In a bigger sense, all coyote futures are tenuous. But they usually win through luck, wariness, stealth, intelligence and pack coordination. In this case, and so far, she has won through luck in the beginning, and then trust. But also through a connection to human emotions that is really powerful. We see who she is, her personality and needs. How fun and honest she is.

/ Found a coyote, I think #107  
Don't give up on her yet, there WILL be problems. as you have seen. but you have to adapt and overcome. you are doing good with her so far and I am sure you can keep her as long as you are creative with your approach to her misbehavior.

/ Found a coyote, I think #108  
John have you taken the other dogs out with her at night? If not give it a try if she sees them going out then back in she may follow. It is called contagous behavior. She should soon follow what they do. Bring out the one who is alpha. Good luck

/ Found a coyote, I think #109  
John I am glad it is going better, I agree take the other dogs out with her at night maybe she is afraid to go out without the others. I know at night mine always go out together and Shadow will stand and wait for Weasel to head for the door before she will, but he thinks he has to be first to do anything.
Is Sandy using teeth with her kisses? We broke ours of that one, by telling them no teeth and not taking the kisses like that, couldn't have been to hard on them Weasel comes and gives me kisses before he goes in the bedroom to go to sleep. Like children you get out what you put in.
I am glad to hear that it is going better when you don't (force) her, if she thinks it is her decision maybe she will make the right ones more often.

Have fun

Randy

/ Found a coyote, I think #110  
We always break our pups of biting by "biting them back". Not literally...as soon as the pup bites, take your hand, wrap their lip between your fingers and their teeth and squeeze till they yelp all while saying NO BITE!

You are essentially biting them with their own needle sharp teeth. It doesn't take too many times before a simple No Bite command will immediately stop the play biting.