Found a coyote, I think

/ Found a coyote, I think
We have entered a new chapter in Sandy's life and all is well, sort of. The situation seemed like it could end in a bad way, but we have found a place for her and she will be fine.

As you all know, we have been trying to secure a place at a sanctuary or some kind of similar situation. She is getting bigger and more mature. Much stronger and more coordinated. Here, she cannot get the shots she needs to remain healthy and to keep her from becoming a threat to other's safety. She also had a run in with the local wild coyotes recently and was hurt. The pressure has been building to get this situation settled in a way that secures her future.

So, we found an accredited rehabilitation/sanctuary and made arrangements. This after calling a lot of other people and places.

Yesterday we took her to her knew home and left without her.

Tonight we are incredibly sad and the place seems empty. What a girl she is! The only saving grace is the knowledge that she is now safe. She will get spayed, rabies shots and live in a safe environment with a coyote pal and be used as a demonstration dog, an ambassador from the wild, that visits the public in various settings and allows them to better understand coyotes. Touch her and get to know her a bit.

She has clearly demonstrated her friendly and trusting nature, her sense of humor and her problem solving skills. She is so willing to be friends with other animals and people, while still exhibiting her instincts. This ties into why we love her so much. A cautious, but trusting girl. A tricky game player. An affectionate companion. A teammate. A self reliant survivor. Truly a fascinating dog that fits, but doesn't quite fit. Brings the best that dogs have to offer, but doesn't fit in the world we live in. A reviled menace to some, that warms the hearts of all that meet her.

People stop by to meet her, others fear her presence from afar. Some meet her here accidentally and are fascinated. Other's root for her survival and help us plan. Mother's protect their children as she lays on her back and lets them rub her tummy. She greets me when I get home and searches my hand for a treat. A bushy tail swishes as she splashes in her water. Rabbits get hidden and then reappear. Her playful exuberance draws a bit of blood from my arm. She joyously bounds around the yard, follows us on walks and sneaks into the house uninvited.

She dozes for hours as we drive to her knew home. Only caring that she is with her pack. Bei Bei disciplines her as she takes up too much bed. A cookie for both and a sip of water. A calm stare out the window at the passing desert. I rub her ear and she drifts off. I stop and she looks at me for more. Those eyes always say so much.

So, I still wonder why she affects me so much. She is preprogrammed for survival with a few simple rules and needs. A schedule she lives by everyday. Up at dawn for some sun and family time. Get some exercise playing with others, playing keep-away or just running around. Have something to eat and bury or rebury the extra. Back to her den to sleep in the afternoon when the air is too hot. Have something to eat. Out at night to patrol around. Most any of this can be interrupted, except for eating roadkill rabbits, if I want to play with her or pet her. So much personality in such a small package. Really wants my attention and participation in her games. Oblivious to the dangers surrounding her. Always a knowing or sly look in those yellow eyes. And unable to survive without our help.

This next chapter in her life is the beginning of something far larger. I want to keep the conversation going with all of you and I sincerely appreciate all the input, suggestions and comments so far. We'll talk about where she is and how you will all have the ability to meet her in person. For now, I'm getting her settled and getting organized.

It's late and I've been driving for many hours.

Thanks again for all the input. Stay in touch.

More pictures soon.

/ Found a coyote, I think #252  
John

I am so glad to hear there will be a next chapter in Sandy's life. Honestly, I was becoming increasingly afraid of your every new post, fearing of bad news on the home front, bad news concerning Sandy.

Please DO continue this thread. I think I speak for the majority of posters by saying this story has touched us in a unique and very special way. Your writing abilities has enabled us to stand over your shoulder and become an active participate in Sandy's life.

Your lives have been forever changed by this story. Let us know more when you can!!

/ Found a coyote, I think #253  
Great to hear an update! I'm sure it was and will continue to be a tough separation, but it sounds like it's in Sandy's best interests. I hope Sandy does well in her new home, and I look forward to more pictures.

/ Found a coyote, I think #254  
I have purposely stayed away from comment but have been following from a distance. I have much experience with dogs owning a dog groomin and boarding business for 30 years.I am glad you found a home for sandy, I feel as she matured she would eventually injure someone . Speaking for dogs that show Aggresion at such young ages continue down this path slowly getting worse and finally reach a crichindo around age 2.I am in no doubt that at some point she would have injured someone. I haven't had experience with coyotes but have seen many wolf malmute mixes and every one ends the same,wild animals always return to there wild nature, you cannot take it out in a generation

/ Found a coyote, I think #255  
John thank you for sharing your life and adventure with so many of us over the past several weeks. We will all miss her. It was sad to hear she is no longer part of your family, but exciting to hear of her new life. I know it is hard to let go even knowing it is best for her.
I'm sure you will be part of her life so I will be looking for updates. You gave that puppy a life and did best by her many would have left her in the cold. You and your wife are good people.

/ Found a coyote, I think #256  
John thank you for sharing your life and adventure with so many of us over the past several weeks. We will all miss her. It was sad to hear she is no longer part of your family, but exciting to hear of her new life. I know it is hard to let go even knowing it is best for her.
I'm sure you will be part of her life so I will be looking for updates. You gave that puppy a life and did best by her many would have left her in the cold. You and your wife are good people.

X2, could not have said it better myself......

/ Found a coyote, I think
Here are a few pictures of our trip to the sanctuary. Sandy went into the carrier just before we left her there.
The pictures shown here since the beginning are only a very small sampling of all that Liye has taken.

She is now in quarantine and will get her shots. Then she gets spayed. Finally she will be placed with another coyote and the staff will begin to work with her to see if she is fit for their outside programs.

As I sat here last night late. The quiet night seemed so different without her tapping on the door or patrolling around. She would often come up to me in the night as Bei Bei and I stepped out for a walk. A bump with her nose in the dark. A quick greeting with Bei Bei and a look for a cookie. I could almost hear her ask: Where ya goin?

Then the local coyotes started up right in our yard. The song echoing off the house. Very close! I went out with the flashlight and waited for them, but never saw them. Bei Bei raised the fur on her neck and prepared. Sandy's siblings from the canyon behind us, maybe. Looking for her. And not finding her they wandered farther off. The song quieter, but still haunting. I'm haunted too, by my little yellow eyed pal. She's wondering what happened and where I am.

As I mentioned earlier, I want to continue her story and have others meet her from time to time. We will be establishing a working relationship with the sanctuary to help her and them. Her story is being written and I'd like to include many of the fine comments so many of you have made.

Attachments

• DSC09961.jpg
    DSC09961.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 335
  • DSC09962.jpg
    DSC09962.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 320
  • DSC09999.jpg
    DSC09999.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 361
  • DSC09991.jpg
    DSC09991.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 350
   / Found a coyote, I think #258  
John as hard as that was to do and for us to hear, at least we are not waiting for the worst news. This way she will be relatively safe, hopefully she will adjust and accept her new surroundings and life.I am sure doing this broke your heart and hers, but it is for the best. You and your family did a beautifully job in raising her, and should be be proud of what you accomplished, I know we were proud to be included in your life with Sandy.

Randy

/ Found a coyote, I think #259  
You did the right thing John. I'm glad everthing worked out as it did.
And What an experience...eh?
Your lucky to have had this.
Who knows? Maybe there is another coyote in your future.
Good deeds bring good fortune.

/ Found a coyote, I think #260  
I'm glad you found her a place and thank you very much for the on going story. I have to wonder, since the pack was there that night if she had not already started assimilating into it? I guess we will always ponder that, but at least in a sanctuary she will be safe...good call.