Found a coyote, I think

/ Found a coyote, I think #341  
Kind of sad that a wild animal is now forced to live in enclosures rather than how nature intended. I guess the term "unintended consequences" holds true again.

/ Found a coyote, I think #342  
Kind of sad that a wild animal is now forced to live in enclosures rather than how nature intended. I guess the term "unintended consequences" holds true again.

Very sad indeed that now she will be well fed and watered, have medical attention if/when needed, be free from parasites and from the possibility of being attacked by other predators (even her own kind) and possibly dying from injury/infection or starving because those injuries/infections prevented her from hunting. She will have to put up with having a secure comfortable place to relax and sleep out of the extremes of weather not to mention having to put up with the affection she will receive from all her caretakers.

/ Found a coyote, I think #343  
Raspy,

Do you get to have interactions with her when you go to visit? Thanks for continuing to tell the story.

/ Found a coyote, I think #344  
Very sad indeed that now she will be well fed and watered, have medical attention if/when needed, be free from parasites and from the possibility of being attacked by other predators (even her own kind) and possibly dying from injury/infection or starving because those injuries/infections prevented her from hunting. She will have to put up with having a secure comfortable place to relax and sleep out of the extremes of weather not to mention having to put up with the affection she will receive from all her caretakers.

Are you saying she will become a registered democrat?

/ Found a coyote, I think
Sandy is only temporarily in that enclosure. She will soon be moved to one with more room and more dirt for digging her own den. They are searching for a permanent male mate for her to live with. She gets lots of interaction with the staff and training sessions for her well being and to allow her to eventually meet and work with the public. Other dogs are living with her in that enclosure now.

Further she was pretty much dead when we rescued her. Frozen stiff and completely helpless.

From that situation we got a beautiful animal that has given enormous joy to many. She has provided insights into her world that most people find interesting and valuable. Some, like sdkubota, cannot see the value, want them all dead and are filled with fear. Fine. The whole idea is that most of us are curious about this animal and want to learn more, want to get a chance to look beyond the hatred and see what else is there. Just to learn something about which we know so little.

The result is that so many of us have been touched by what we've seen.

Thanks Mace, you summed it up well.

She is confined, but she is also doing well. I can't say it's perfect, but the enormous gift she has given and the joy she has felt and expressed, would not have happened if we simply let her get eaten by the birds. The depth of her intellect compels me to help her as I would any friend. And we are friends.

My friends were not allowed into her enclosure on their visit, and I expect that will be the case when we go. I don't know for sure. I'm hoping we can go in and sit with her or take her for a walk around the area.

Thanks for your continuing comments and interest!

/ Found a coyote, I think #346  
All living creatures chose freedom over containment and will risk death to achieve it. There isn't a wild animal alive that would choose living in a cage over running wild as God intended. Go to the zoo and look at all the happy animal faces and they receive the absolute best of care. If you want to kid yourself, more power to you but you should have allowed nature to run its coarse.

/ Found a coyote, I think #347  
I've really enjoyed reading about Sandy. One question, though. If they are trying to find a mate for her, will she or the male be spayed or neutered or are they wanting more pups?

Jesse,
She has been, or will be spayed. They are not interested in breeding coyotes.

sdkubota,

I'm sorry that you're unable to either get it, or offer anything beyond the same tired stereotype. Not able to offer any practical solutions that can do some good or help in any way. And not want to even try. A complete inability to understand how all of this came about and where to go next. All the while pretending to take the high road by telling us what animals would choose and what God intended for them, while exclaiming that they are mindless vicious killers trying to rip our throats out, in previous posts.

Sandy was unable to choose freedom as she froze to death in the desert night. We didn't trap her or take her away from something she already had. We gave her a future beyond being bird food. Later, when she recovered and matured, she was free. Untethered and living outside, she chose to stay with us. She was joyous and loved to play. Invented games and explored the wilds with us. But, in the end, she could not be allowed her freedom because of attitudes like yours that prevent vaccinations, veterinary care, or even helping an animal in need. And because many, like yourself, want coyotes dead and want to use them for target practice. Is that your definition of Gods will? In my book, you don't have the authority to speak for God and I'll personally thank him for that. And you most certainly don't have the ability to speak for Sandy.

Meanwhile, your friends here are presenting a true and touching story. Doing something interesting that involves real life. A real dog with real intelligence. A little friend with a lot to offer. A friend in need.

It's so easy to sit back and criticize something you fear and know nothing about. So easy to take the cheap shot high road. But it doesn't wash here. It's not about you, it's about Sandy. And you've offered nothing of value.

Why not take a moment to join us and share in learning something about these fascinating dogs? If you want to participate, offer a useful suggestion or comment. Otherwise you're just presenting static and hurting your own cause.

As far as her freedom now is concerned, I sincerely wish she could roam the mountains and sing with her friends in the night. Run joyously as fast as she could. Have a litter of her own and a loyal mate. But, she'll have to settle for having something no other coyote has ever had, maybe. That's a pack made up of humans who love her. Ones who demonstrated their loyalty and did their best for her. When she was attacked by members of her own breed, we protected her. Now we must protect her from members of our breed. Humans who would kill her immediately if given the chance. People who don't understand her at all, like yourself. So we've offered her a safe haven, medical care and animal friends to live with. We've tried to learn from her and allow others to do the same. She's wild and we want to know more. Many others want to know more to, and they will get the chance.

You may not think so, but I believe she's better off now than freezing to death in the desert.

/ Found a coyote, I think #350  
sdkubota,

I'm sorry that you're unable to either get it, or offer anything beyond the same tired stereotype. Not able to offer any practical solutions that can do some good or help in any way. And not want to even try. A complete inability to understand how all of this came about and where to go next. All the while pretending to take the high road by telling us what animals would choose and what God intended for them, while exclaiming that they are mindless vicious killers trying to rip our throats out, in previous posts.

Sandy was unable to choose freedom as she froze to death in the desert night. We didn't trap her or take her away from something she already had. We gave her a future beyond being bird food. Later, when she recovered and matured, she was free. Untethered and living outside, she chose to stay with us. She was joyous and loved to play. Invented games and explored the wilds with us. But, in the end, she could not be allowed her freedom because of attitudes like yours that prevent vaccinations, veterinary care, or even helping an animal in need. And because many, like yourself, want coyotes dead and want to use them for target practice. Is that your definition of Gods will? In my book, you don't have the authority to speak for God and I'll personally thank him for that. And you most certainly don't have the ability to speak for Sandy.

Meanwhile, your friends here are presenting a true and touching story. Doing something interesting that involves real life. A real dog with real intelligence. A little friend with a lot to offer. A friend in need.

It's so easy to sit back and criticize something you fear and know nothing about. So easy to take the cheap shot high road. But it doesn't wash here. It's not about you, it's about Sandy. And you've offered nothing of value.

Why not take a moment to join us and share in learning something about these fascinating dogs? If you want to participate, offer a useful suggestion or comment. Otherwise you're just presenting static and hurting your own cause.

As far as her freedom now is concerned, I sincerely wish she could roam the mountains and sing with her friends in the night. Run joyously as fast as she could. Have a litter of her own and a loyal mate. But, she'll have to settle for having something no other coyote has ever had, maybe. That's a pack made up of humans who love her. Ones who demonstrated their loyalty and did their best for her. When she was attacked by members of her own breed, we protected her. Now we must protect her from members of our breed. Humans who would kill her immediately if given the chance. People who don't understand her at all, like yourself. So we've offered her a safe haven, medical care and animal friends to live with. We've tried to learn from her and allow others to do the same. She's wild and we want to know more. Many others want to know more to, and they will get the chance.

You may not think so, but I believe she's better off now than freezing to death in the desert.

Perfect Response Raspy, absolutely perfect.....