Page 36 of 57 FirstFirst ... 263334353637383946 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Allis Chalmers 616 (Two) and a Kioti CK30 HST with loader and backhoe

Default Re: Found a coyote, I think

I love this story Raspy. Thanks for posting it and keeping it up.
    God Bless our brave men, bring them home, safe again.

Upstate NY- see the BIG lake- look just below it...
    Tractor
    Kubota B2320

Quote Originally Posted by BMod View Post
    Perfect Response Raspy, absolutely perfect.....
    Hi Raspy,

I agree wholeheartedly, and even though I came to this thread late [and lurked], I have been enthralled by your narrative. I have also shared highlights with my wife, Pat and she is really [for the first time] interested in TBN.

We were particularly struck by your open-minded and open-hearted adoption and approach to an animal that is one of the closest [and at times, by some most-vilified] cousins to our favorite animals, [The more people I meet [or read posts from], the more I love and appreciate dogs], too many of which we have mourned for and miss as you miss Sandy, because we also did what was best for them, even though it hurt us to do [euthanasia at the end of life].

Keep us informed and up to date re: her progress; we really wait for your updates...

Thanks and GOD bless,

Thomas and Pat

Tractor
    2N Ford

John: You did right by Sandy
    Randy

Tractor
    JD 6400

I've had to eliminate several coyotes over the years because they have come close to the house and killed several of my geese. Just a few months ago I shot one that killed a pet gander and two ducks. I used to be able to let my geese out to graze around the barn but I've had to start keeping them in their pen for their protection. I realize the coyotes are only doing what comes natural and I try to leave them alone as much as possible. Reading about Sandy has caused me to spare the life of a young coyote that I have seen lately. I recently saw it jumping around chasing field mice in my hay meadow while I was cutting hay. As long as they do that I'll just observe them.
    6400 John Deere w/ cab, JD 535 Baler, 997 ZTR Diesel, 72" 7 Iron deck, John Deere 855D 4x4 Diesel Gator

R.I.P.
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

Quote Originally Posted by sdkubota View Post
    All living creatures chose freedom over containment and will risk death to achieve it. There isn't a wild animal alive that would choose living in a cage over running wild as God intended. Go to the zoo and look at all the happy animal faces and they receive the absolute best of care. If you want to kid yourself, more power to you but you should have allowed nature to run its coarse.
    An animal can always go sullen and waste. She can show misery if present, and it doesn't seem to be present from the evidence presented so far.
    Which is bigger?: a) $100 per month since the Big Bang or b) the US National Debt.

Tractor
    NH TC29DA Bolens G14 Skytrac 5028 Dodge Cummins Jeep Rubicon Grizzly 700

Quote Originally Posted by JESSE1 View Post
    I've had to eliminate several coyotes over the years because they have come close to the house and killed several of my geese. Just a few months ago I shot one that killed a pet gander and two ducks. I used to be able to let my geese out to graze around the barn but I've had to start keeping them in their pen for their protection. I realize the coyotes are only doing what comes natural and I try to leave them alone as much as possible. Reading about Sandy has caused me to spare the life of a young coyote that I have seen lately. I recently saw it jumping around chasing field mice in my hay meadow while I was cutting hay. As long as they do that I'll just observe them.

Jesse,

Thanks for your story and your compassion.

Sandy sure has been an eye opener.

I too would chose my family or my dogs or my other animals over a wild coyote if it came to that. Of course I would, and should. That decision doesn't attempt to take any value away from the wild ones. Sometimes a decision must be made.

You're in a tricky spot with pet geese (which I also find very interesting), and wild coyotes close by.

I wonder if there is a way to encourage them to stay in the meadow and go for the mice?
    John

I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt.

Tractor
    JD 6400

I've had some of my geese for about 15 years now. I'm down to six now. Geese make enough noise that any predator could hear them. Years ago I would let them go down to the pond but the coyotes would hide in the grass waiting for them. After that I kept them close to the barn but that hasn't stopped the coyotes from coming close. I also have five donkeys that are supposed to chase coyotes but I saw this particular young coyote walking close to them and the donks just stared at it. So much for predator control.
    6400 John Deere w/ cab, JD 535 Baler, 997 ZTR Diesel, 72" 7 Iron deck, John Deere 855D 4x4 Diesel Gator

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    PT 422

I've had some of my geese for about 15 years now. I'm down to six now. Geese make enough noise that any predator could hear them. Years ago I would let them go down to the pond but the coyotes would hide in the grass waiting for them. After that I kept them close to the barn but that hasn't stopped the coyotes from coming close. I also have five donkeys that are supposed to chase coyotes but I saw this particular young coyote walking close to them and the donks just stared at it. So much for predator control.
    I've heard llama's will chase coyotes. Some years ago i had a couple of llamas and i returned home from work one night and only saw one llama in the field. The other one had gotten out, neighbors said they saw a german shepard get into the pen with the goats and one of the llamas jumped the fence into the goat pen and chased the dog out of the pen then out of the pen and down the road. I don't know how far that llama chased the dog, but i found him a couple miles away down the road.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    PT 422

I've heard llama's will chase coyotes. Some years ago i had a couple of llamas and i returned home from work one night and only saw one llama in the field. The other one had gotten out, neighbors said they saw a german shepard get into the pen with the goats and one of the llamas jumped the fence into the goat pen and chased the dog out of the pen then out of the pen and down the road. I don't know how far that llama chased the dog, but i found him a couple miles away down the road.

Upstate NY- see the BIG lake- look just below it...
    Tractor
    Kubota B2320

Quote Originally Posted by cqaigy2 View Post
    I was previously on some newfie and wolfhound mailing lists, and on both, dogs had been hurt by llamas or their close cousins-alpacas.

Apparently it's an inherited response to canids, and very hard to train them out of.

Page 36 of 57 FirstFirst ... 263334353637383946 ... LastLast