Found a coyote, I think

/ Found a coyote, I think #1  

Raspy

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC29DA, F250 Tremor, Jeep Rubicon
My neighbor was out walking behind our two places the other day and found a baby puppy just a few days old. It was in a burn area with no brush at about 5,000 ft elevation. She put it in a paper bag with a rag in the bottom and fed her a bit with an eye dropper, then called us to come see and try to figure out what happened.

First we thought it was an abandoned domestic dog, but we began to realize it must be a coyote. Ears are still sealed closed, belly button not fully healed and eyes are closed. But healthy and strong. Unable to do much more than squirm around and whine. Very cute.

I'm coming to realize if it's a coyote, or fox or grey wolf, we won't be able to keep her. But we don't want her killed either. And we won't know for sure what it is for a few weeks or after a trip to the vet. Meanwhile we're feeding her and she's very happy. Oh, and my wife and her have bonded.

Someone my neighbor called said to put it back out there, but no way I'll go along with that as it would either freeze to death the first night or get eaten. We've taken responsibility for her now, without realizing she may be a coyote, and are looking for a humane way out. Raising a coyote is not something I want to take on as it has a lot of problems associated and may even be illegal. The legal part doesn't concern me too much, but the responsibility for any other animals killed, people injured or the special care required for a long time does. Plus, she would eventually have to go somewhere and I have no idea where.

This is an interesting problem.

Any ideas?

/ Found a coyote, I think #4  
How about contacting the state agency that handles wildlife issues in Nevada? They will have wildlife experts that will give you guidance.

Steve

/ Found a coyote, I think #5  
In NY, If it is against the law to have it, then you could very well see a heavy fine for even giving it aid. If the DEC is decent they'll tell you to put it down. This applies to NY law, know this from experience. Might want to check around, especially before posting on a public forum.........oooops to late.

/ Found a coyote, I think #8  
Contact a wildlife rehabilitation center in your area.

/ Found a coyote, I think
I just found a wildlife sanctuary that will take her. But first I want to confirm what she is. No need to show up there with a lab. :ashamed:

/ Found a coyote, I think #10  
Take it to the wildlife center. I think given all the circumstances the chances are slim that it is domestic.