Turkey Season in the south

/ Turkey Season in the south #1  

RobertBrown

Elite Member
Tractor
Bolens G192/TS1910 Ford/New Holland 1920
I was ridin shot gun on I-10 a few miles west of I-75 last Tuesday, and looked out into a pasture to see a flock of wild turkeys....No big deal right? Well there sure nuff was a Gobler in full strut surrounded by at least a half a dozen hens.....From the interstate! I saw this.
I can't tell you how bad I wished I was there with my 12 guage, or how many times I've heard a gobbler while settin up against a water oak hope'in I'll get a look see.:thumbsup:
Oh well, just thought I would share.....

Last edited:
   / Turkey Season in the south #2  
This is mine from this morning. They were gobbling real fine today, it was foggy this morning.

/ Turkey Season in the south #3  
It was sure foggy this morning. Two coyotes got between me old Tom this morning. That's why there is tomorrow:). Congradulations.

/ Turkey Season in the south #4  
They have been gobbling a way up here, my dog has a strange bark and can at times call in gobblers. I cant wait for our season to start.

/ Turkey Season in the south #5  
They come through my yard at least once almost every day. I counted a flock of 64 one day last year, although the size varies from 3 or 4 to about twenty. They eat the spilled chicken scratch from the bird feeder, not to mention the fertilizer they leave on the driveway and next to the patio. Usually see 3 or 4 big puffed Toms this time of year. Wouldn't think of killing one though. My little Boston Terrier thinks it's fun to chase them, although I discourage her.

There are a couple of feral cats that often appear when they are feeding in the back yard; they will stalk the turkeys, who don't seem to be very concerned. One day one of the cats got a little bit close, and the cat ended up running for its life.

/ Turkey Season in the south #6  
I went to get my son from the truck stop this morning for an overnight stay before heading out with his rig. Turkeys were in my yard on the way out, all over the fields on the back roads, etc. The best part of the trip was a Bald Eagle had a kill on the road that must have been too cumbersome to fly with. He just drug it to the side of the road and watched me drive by.. They are really awesome creatures.

/ Turkey Season in the south #7  
This is mine from this morning. They were gobbling real fine today, it was foggy this morning.

Nice eastern!!

I went out, actually didn't fall asleep:laughing: had for "talking" back to me, but ended up with "neighbor' problems. i may have to see if my neighbor in the back will let me "trespass" for a day, doubt it but worth asking.

/ Turkey Season in the south #8  
I bagged one on opening day (Saturday) at 5:00pm. I went out at sunup and had 4 talking to me and one finally came in behind me. Couldn't get a shot though.

I went back out at 2pm with the intent to scout for sleeping hogs for awhile then set up my spread, put the turkeys to bed for the night and leaving my spread set up for the following morning. No sooner had I set up my decoys at 4:30, when I sat down for a bit and called with the box call. The first call, I had one gobble back and come in on a string. I popped him as he attacked my jake decoy.

/ Turkey Season in the south
I bagged one on opening day (Saturday) at 5:00pm. I went out at sunup and had 4 talking to me and one finally came in behind me. Couldn't get a shot though.

I went back out at 2pm with the intent to scout for sleeping hogs for awhile then set up my spread, put the turkeys to bed for the night and leaving my spread set up for the following morning. No sooner had I set up my decoys at 4:30, when I sat down for a bit and called with the box call. The first call, I had one gobble back and come in on a string. I popped him as he attacked my jake decoy.

now that.... is good weekend!
I guess it would have been better if u got that boar hog on Saturday night....
Things could be worse....maybe next weekend eh? :laughing:

/ Turkey Season in the south #10  
They were out this week-end on our farm in the Ozarks. I manage to call up Three of them..I was just a swinging and enjoying the coffee. I heard one and grabbed the box and squawked it up.. We enjoyed looking at them. Now, DO Hens have spurs? I did not see a beard and it had over 1 inch spurs?