Wifey had close call !!

/ Wifey had close call !! #1  

scesnick

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
My wife grew up in Wv. She has always hunted and enjoyed firearms since she was a child. And since we live way back on a farm, our first line of defense is not the police (15 minute response time at a minimum) but our own ability to defend ourself.

A while back while I was at work, wifey was home with our kids alone at about 4:00pm. A white van pulled up in our garage parking area. He drove 2.5 miles from the nearest hardtop road and passed three "No Trespassing" signs.
Wifey said he just sat there a minute. My truck was gone and wifey's car was in the garage so i guess it appeared that no one was home.
Wifey grabbed her M&P 9mm and headed out to see what was up with this guy. She was about 30 ft from his van when she yelled if she could help him with something. She had the 9mm behind her back at the time. He didn't say anything, but got out of his van and stood there for a minute so she repeated herself. He then looked around for a second, still not saying anything, then took a step or two towards her. She then put the 9mm in front of her, (but didn't point it at him) and told the man that he better just get in his van and leave.
He then came up was some B.S. story about looking for my neighbors house ( which is 2.5 miles away) she said again to get in his van and get out.The neighbor has no idea who this would have been.

After she told me what happened she told me that before she went outside she gave our two girls age 8&9 yrs old her cell phone and to watch out the window and if anything happens to call 911 and run out the back door and into the woods and not to stop until they get to the bottom of the mountain ( our friends house)

I'm telling you guys this just as a reminder to be sure your better half has a plan if something like this ever happens to them when you are not at home.

I really can't think of any way Wifey could have handled this situation any better. Yes, maybe she should have just stayed in the house with the gun ready but it just isn't her nature to sit quietly by while someone robs us blind. Either way I am super proud of how she handled herself.. Gotta love those West Virginia women.

/ Wifey had close call !! #2  
Wow. What a great woman! Well prepared with a good home defense plan.
Curious - Did she happen to get the plate # as he left? Did she report it to the police? I'm sure they couldn't do anything, but maybe it was a stolen vehicle, or this guy had a record of theft...wouldn't hurt to let them know about it.
Definitely a case for the "driveway alarms".....:thumbsup:
Glad all worked out well....

/ Wifey had close call !! #4  
People that are lost or looking for an address do not get out of their vehicle, watch your area and keep an eye on the kids.

/ Wifey had close call !!
People that are lost or looking for an address do not get out of their vehicle, watch your area and keep an eye on the kids.

Yeah, that was our thinking also. This happened a few months ago but it came up on another site and I thought I would share it here also.
We did report it but nothing can really be done about it. I have a feeling he was looking for something to steal for money and he thought no one was home when he first pulled in. A lot of that going on around here lately.
I also think he decided not to push his luck in my area and looked for an easier target. I didn't mention my two very large farm dogs that got in between this guy and my wife. She said he did take notice of the dogs and their "less than welcoming" demeanor.. lol.

Oh, no tag #, I guess she just didn't think of it at the time...

/ Wifey had close call !! #6  
Thats a true mother!!
Hope the good words spread around,and that knothead gone for good.

/ Wifey had close call !! #7  
Glad this turned out so well.

I have advised my wife and kids to always get a plate number as long as it is safely done. Scratch it in the dirt if need be. We had a junior high student kidnapped a number of years ago (before my kids attended the school) on the country road near where he lived. He was with two friends, neither of whom (understandably) grabbed the plate. The child has never been found.

I do agree that your wife should have stayed in the house and not answered the door. Much safer. But she did have the presence of mind to tell the kids what to do.

/ Wifey had close call !! #8  
Smart woman, knew what to do and how to do it. While it MAY have been better for her to stay in the house, by being bold and confronting the intruder she may have made him think twice or thrice about his next intrusion. Too bad she didn't have a spare cell phone camera to snap his picture when she went out. We keep an older, unactivated phone with a camera near the door just in case we need a picture for some reason.

Very happy to learn all went well, be proud of her.

/ Wifey had close call !! #9  
I am sincerely glad that everything worked out. Thanks for posting. As you previously stated and suggested, when one lives in a rural area, it is most definitely a sound idea to have a plan in case one encounters a situation like your Wife did. Especially when one lives far off the beaten path. I "tip my hat" to your Wife in the way that she conducted yourself. :thumbsup:

/ Wifey had close call !! #10  
Personally I think that the fact she confronted him shows that she is not a ***** and that action alone would have been a prime deterrent up front.
A bloke will usually go out and confront someone. He won't hide in the house, at least I wouldn't. Why suggest a woman does this? Her actions prevented the guy from getting to the house where her kids were and at the same time gave them every chance of escape if the worst scenario eventuated.
I congratulate her on her cool thinking and actions.