How early is too early to start putting wood in for winter?

/ How early is too early to start putting wood in for winter? #1  

90cummins

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1720 SSS 4x4 Turbo Charged
How early is too early to start putting wood in for winter?

I've been burning wood for years, I have a forced hot air wood furnace in the cellar which is where I also keep my wood. I can store 7~8 cord but need only 4~5 or so.
In the past I have put wood in in the fall.
Getting older with health issues I'm feeling like I would like start to putting (air dry) wood in now a bucket at a time as I process it to avoid unnecessary handling and to ease the pain. I worry that something may happen that will prevent me from doing this and it is not something I want to ask help with.
It's like money in the bank to me.

I always discard infested wood but there's always the possibility of a bugger getting in the wood pile.
Last year I was under the gun as winter approached which I didn't like!

The wife says no because of bugs.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks Tim

Last edited:
   / How early is too early to start putting wood in for winter? #2  
I don't know what your asking?

I cut wood 2 season before use to let it season and move it to the wood shed at the house the summer before use. I move it to the inside wood box about 2 or 3 times a week during winter.:)

Edit I went back and reread your post and i would continue to fill the basement each year and just spray for bugs to keep the wife happy!

/ How early is too early to start putting wood in for winter? #3  
Most of the bugs are a result of wet wood not dry. My buddy and a neighbour both have basement storage. They load dry wood in the spring to clear their outdoor sheds for wood cutting and splitting in spring and fall. I have covered storage beside the log house -- I also load that in the spring from woodsheds. Just in case, I spray a little borate over the wood to make sure nasties like carpenter ants do not take up residence.

/ How early is too early to start putting wood in for winter? #4  
Some people say now is late. I have some all ready for the winter. Good Luck.

/ How early is too early to start putting wood in for winter? #5  
Right now I am burning 4 your old seasoned wood. It is split and stacked under a shed roof. I put and old tarp or plastic down to keep the bottom layer dry. Figure I have about 4 years worth of wood in reserve. Had one large fir tree come down this winter, that should be good for about one years firewood. Better to have it done sooner than later. Pic shows just part of my stash. :)

Attachments

• 12X24LeanTo 001.jpg
    12X24LeanTo 001.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 301
   / How early is too early to start putting wood in for winter? #6  
well, since its April 4th already......oh and did i mention thats its SNOWING right now. maybe start today.

We already have 2 in of new snow on the ground. Was 52F yesterday

/ How early is too early to start putting wood in for winter? #7  
I only burn wood in a fire place, so I only burn about half a cord a year, less this year. I have a lot of bugs in my fire wood, so I would never store my wood inside. I put my wood on the front porch, and then it goes right in the fire place, so I don't store any inside, not even for a few minutes.

/ How early is too early to start putting wood in for winter? #8  
Before we got out lp stove I would cut the trees down now and then start splitting in the woods. I would then take it out and leave it in a pile by our barn for a couple of weeks and then stack it.
I use a holz hausen stack, my reason for this is I could tell when its ready to be burned and it sheds the snow great and is stable. Plus you can put all of your smaller rounds you dont want to split in the middle and not have to dodge them in the winter time when they come crashing down at you.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/86463-holz-hausen-dry-wood-three.html

/ How early is too early to start putting wood in for winter? #9  
Cut now. You'll be happier.

I go through 2 to 4 cords a year in the fireplace. It's not primary source of heat; more for enjoyment, warming hands on a cold day, emergencies, and snuggling up with the hausfrau next to.

1. Progression is cut wood gets stacked in drying pile for a year.
2. It then gets stacked to the use pile near the house for the current year.
3. From there it gets moved by what we use each day, if any, into the wood bin next to the fireplace.

Means I'm burning 12 to 18 month cured wood; which is maximum heating efficiency, minimum creosote buildup, and a lot less bugs and exploding logs.

There's never a problem with cutting extra ahead; as long as you have a dry place to stack it.

/ How early is too early to start putting wood in for winter? #10  
I cut, split and stack in April, May, September and October. Maybe go into early November depending on hunts I draw and the weather. June, July and August get to be a little too warm for me.