Ultrasonic pest control devices: REAL OR GIMMICK?

/ Ultrasonic pest control devices: REAL OR GIMMICK? #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
I always see these ads and infomercials about these "ultrasonic" pest control devices.

Do they actually work? or is it a gimmick? I have an unfinished basement and am in the process of finishing. And I imagine as with any unfinished basement...spiders.

Actually, the spiders themselves dont bother me...but the "cobwebs" drive me nuts.

Just saw a coupon in the weekend paper for a "riddex" brand device that claims to do 3000 sq ft for a $10 device.

Just looking to TBN for thoughts and opinions:thumbsup:

/ Ultrasonic pest control devices: REAL OR GIMMICK? #2  
Hiya

I think most of them, if not all, are gimmicks. Have seem some priced at hundreds of $. At $10 at least you can test it and if its a gimmick you have not lost much. Cockroaches and other pests like that will not be effected at all.
Perhaps mice will at first not like it but they'll get used to it and ignore it.

But more importantly is how the ultrasonics affects bats and other needed species. Some types of bats in some areas are endangered and one should not use ultrasonics if it drives them away.

Mike

/ Ultrasonic pest control devices: REAL OR GIMMICK? #3  
They're a gimmic (at least the ones I've used). I tried them in my garage and they didn't effect mice, insects or anything else. I've heard they may be effective for a short period and then the mice etc get used to it. They did annoy me slightly as there was a very high pitched hum I could barely hear. I also noticed interestingly enough that they keep certain birds away. We had one near a bird feeder and no birds would come near it, when it turned off they would be there very quickly. I think our dog could also hear it.

/ Ultrasonic pest control devices: REAL OR GIMMICK? #4  
Could one be used to drive a wife away ?

/ Ultrasonic pest control devices: REAL OR GIMMICK? #5  
   / Ultrasonic pest control devices: REAL OR GIMMICK? #6  
Came with our house and just an energy eater from my experience.

MarkV

/ Ultrasonic pest control devices: REAL OR GIMMICK? #8  
I had periodic problems with mice so I went out and got one of those ultrasonic things. Then no more mice - until one day I went out to the shop and saw a mouse sitting in front of the speaker. It was like I'd set up a rock concert especially for it. :mad: So no, they don't work for very long.

/ Ultrasonic pest control devices: REAL OR GIMMICK? #9  
Junk, junk, junk and more junk. Have bought and watched the mice lick one of them while running.

/ Ultrasonic pest control devices: REAL OR GIMMICK? #10  
I had a ultrasonic thing for mice and set some bait next to it. The mice moved the bait and put it in a sewer hose about 20 feet away. They don't work for me.

For spiders, there are all kinds of things supposedly, but some time ago a workmate told me to get some kind of fruit from the grocery store and set a few of them around the basement. I forget the name but they are green and look like a brain. Then in the grocery store last fall I noticed some of these fruits in a grocery store and they were advertising them for spider control. I remembered the name for a couple months, but I forgot it again.:ashamed: But they are green and look like a brain on Twilght Zone.