snapping turtles

/ snapping turtles #1  

horsecrazy13

Tractor
none
Need to deplete the amount of snapping turtles in a farm pond. They are killing my ducks.

/ snapping turtles #3  
Welcome to TBN!!

Make sure they're not some kind of protected species first...if not, shoot 'em with a .22 rifle or pistol if it's safe to do so. .22's can travel a good distance (especially out of a rifle) and the bullets can ricochet off the water or stones. Use care, don't hurt yourself or others accidently or carelessly.

If you use this query:
how to get rid of snapping turtles in pond
in a web search, you'll find a number of links, BTW...quite a few methods listed to relocate those snappers.

/ snapping turtles #4  
There was guy around here that wanted permission to trap snapping turtles. He was selling them to a asian man who then shipped them overseas. He said the asians have depleted their population of snapping turtles. When you do a search you will see how much per pound they sell for. You may find a trapper and make a little money.

/ snapping turtles #5  
Need to deplete the amount of snapping turtles in a farm pond. They are killing my ducks.

If you have a local sportsman club or a place where you might find local hunters hanging out, go there and put the word out. I've got a few friends here in Ohio that love to catch snappers and use them to make soup. A lot of times local restaurants will be interested in the meat as well.

Oh, I forgot.......:welcome: to TBN :thumbsup:

/ snapping turtles #6  
Like Polo said....You can buy a turtle trap and tie a chicken inside it..the turtles can get in but they can't get out...Our local farm supply store carries them. My father in law and I used to catch Snapping Turtles in our pond and then we would make Turtle stew...The trap is an easy way to go...beats trying to shoot them.

/ snapping turtles #7  
You can also use a small treble hook with a piece of meat and usually they will find it. Keep in mind you can shoot those things in the head and a lot of times they will still be able to snap. I once shot one 4 times in the head with a .22 and that thing could still snap at a twig put in front of its nose.

/ snapping turtles #8  
I've been catching snappers since I was 10. Dad used to catch them for the local fire department to make turtle chowder with. As a matter of fact I showed my grandson how to do it and he got 5 out of our lower pond last summer.

1. Use a large hook with a steel leader tied to a heavy string.
2. Bait the hook with a chunk of rotted meat about 1" square.
3. Tie the string to a stake, pound the stake into the ground and toss the hook into the
pond.
4. Wait over night and tug on the string, you'll know if you've got one.
5. Keep it up until you go 3 days without a catch, you should have cleaned out the pond by then.

The hook is a one use item, so buy several.

/ snapping turtles #9  
It appears that the other TBN members have given you sound advice. So, Welcome aboard and best wishes.

/ snapping turtles #10  
You can also use a small treble hook with a piece of meat and usually they will find it. Keep in mind you can shoot those things in the head and a lot of times they will still be able to snap. I once shot one 4 times in the head with a .22 and that thing could still snap at a twig put in front of its nose.

Ditto on still being able to snap. When I was a kid, we had a not so fun experience when one of our dogs licked a large snapper's severed head 45 minutes after it had been cut off, and the snapper was still able to bite down and clamp on to the dog's tongue! Dad and a fishing buddy had left and gone to a friend for help in getting the turtle dressed out after cutting the head off. That left my Mother and a neighbor to take care getting the head dangling from the dog's tongue off using a couple of screwdrivers. The dog didn't eat much for a couple of days but was okay after recovering.

I don't recall how the turtle soup tasted, but I remember my Dad catching **** for not being there to help with the dog!