garage packages

/ garage packages #1  

Anonymous Poster

Hi all. I'm going to be looking for a good garage "package" in the near future. Was wondering if anyone has purchased the like, from who, what do you think? I'm looking at standard 24' x 24' packages with a couple windows and one man door. Has anyone bought from 84 Lumber? I would like to purchase from a local place for warrantee reasons. I'm in the Rochester area. I will be building the structure myself, just thought it would be easier to purchase as a kit and have it delivered. Any thoughts?
-Dave

/ garage packages #2  
TC18inNY,

Given that you are a tractor guy, 24 x24 may be small. Especially if this is your primary garage. I moved from a 1 car garage to a two car garage + a 30x40 pole barn. I wish the pole barn was bigger, or better yet the garage. Doing it yourself maybe will allow you to expand with little extra cost.

Buck

/ garage packages #3  
Hi Dave,

I'm in Alberta so I'm presuming things may be a little different, but the overall cost difference for me between a "package" for my 26x28 versus the materials purchased seperately was quite a bit. It appeared to me they were charging an awful lot to count studs and take the math out of it for the consumer. I'd price it out both ways and go with what you feel most comfortable with.

Kevin

/ garage packages
If you've never built something yourself, the kit may be the best way for you to go, but if you have building experience, I don't see where the kits are any savings.
Most of the kits are set up on the cheapest possible product, rather than quality material. They also tend to fall a bit short on things like nails.
Essentially, if yo can build a box, you can build a garage.
I built a 2 story 24 foot square barn for less than half of the cost of a kit, and superior materials.

/ garage packages #5  
I am very fond of attaching 2x4x8 together with nails to 4x4x12's or higher. Like a pervious reply said, if you can build a box you can build a garage. If you have a level area and the right machinery and tools, you can save yourself a lot of time and money.

IMHO
-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ garage packages #6  
As noted if your looking for just a car garage then 24x24 might be ok if you have smaller vehicles, but it leaves little room for storage. Take a pickup truck. 19ft long 7ft wide but you need a couple of feet on each side to open the door, So your at 19x11 for a single vehicle. A 3ft wide bench witha couple feet to stand against the tailgate.

/ garage packages
I do have quite a bit of building experience as does my entire family. We do all of our own remodeling/building. I haven't gotten as far as pricing it out with all seperate materials. I do have a great lumber yard right down the road that I have been pleased with in the past. Maybe I'll start looking at buying a simple set of plans/material list and buying all the material myself. Sounds like a winning plan really, now that I think about it. I'll be able to pick out all the lumber, etc. I stated 24' x 24' just because that seems like the standard size. I will probably go bigger, maybe 24' x 30'. I do plan on building a pole barn in the future as I already have a concrete slab out back that an old cow barn used to sit on. I'm going to look around on the net for some plans. I'm going to do the excavating for the footer and stone myself. It's a level area, not too much to contend with. Thank you for the help and any more is appreciated.
-Dave

/ garage packages
Take a look at barnplans.com - they have a nice 24 x 30. It's stick built, not a pole barn, and therefore a little more expensive, but the gambrel roof with loft gives you lots of storage. I'm building the 32 x 40 version, and hope to stretch it out to 32 x 48 if the budget allows. A couple of other TBN'ers have built from these plans and are pleased.

/ garage packages #9  
I just got off the phone with Coach House Garages and they gave me a "turnkey" quote of ~$20,000 for a 24' x 36' garage with one 16' x 7' OH door with windows, one 3'-0" x 6'-8" service door with glass, three 2' x 3' sliding windows, a 4/12 pitch roof with 3 in 1 shingles on a 4" slab with 36" footers and 12" above the slab.

The concrete represented approximately $5,500 of the total. I needed the quote so I knew how much insurance coverage to put on a very similar building of mine. I'll insure mine for just $15,000 or so as I've yet to see a fire burn a slab to the point where it needs to be replaced. I probably should add a little for a worst case scenario of a total loss by fire to cover the cost of removing the remnants and debris. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif