Child labor laws updated

/ Child labor laws updated #2  
Where were these people when I was 10 years old? My mother made me put out oyster shells and grani-grits in the chicken house at night. Of course I coucld have done it during daylight but chose to play instead. I just knew I was going to step on a snake. I learned a lot of valuable lessons growing up on a farm, especially about being safe around equipment, animals, etc. I also learned how to work, even if it was something I didn't like doing.

/ Child labor laws updated #3  
Glad they saw the light there was a lot of pressure on them and rightly so. I thought that was just another brain dead law typical Washington yuppie "we buy our food at a grocery store" whats a farm bs.

/ Child labor laws updated #4  
How dare you people try to use your kids as cheap labor! *sarcasm*

I actually hadn't heard about this until a couple of days ago. I read up on it, and was against it. They were looking to improve the safety of kids, but didn't seem to be going about it the right way. The law wasn't going to apply to kids working on their own family farms, but as with all rulings and rights, in the future it likely would have.

/ Child labor laws updated #5  
Hiya,

It might be tabled for now but, if history is any indicator, they will be back and they will be harder to stop next round.

Tom

/ Child labor laws updated #6  
Hiya,

It might be tabled for now but, if history is any indicator, they will be back and they will be harder to stop next round.

Tom

I'm afraid you are right. Our government doesn't seem to give up. They are probably now just rewording it so anyone opposed to it is for child exploitation. It is all in how you present it to the people.

/ Child labor laws updated #7  
Here is some information on the history of child labor laws. I'm not trying to defend unreasonable rules but it seems clear that when left to people after profit at any cost there are good reasons for good governments to get involved. It is also quite reasonable for people to get vocal when the regulations are unreasonable.

url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_labor]Child labour - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]

During the Industrial Revolution, children as young as four were employed in production factories with dangerous, and often fatal, working conditions.[5] Based on this understanding of the use of children as labourers, it is now considered by wealthy countries to be a human rights violation, and is outlawed, while some poorer countries may allow or tolerate child labour

Child labour played an important role in the Industrial Revolution from its outset, often brought about by economic hardship, Charles Dickens for example worked at the age of 12 in a blacking factory, with his family in debtor's prison. The children of the poor were expected to help to wards the family budget, often working long hours in dangerous jobs for low pay,[7] earning 10-20% of an adult male's wage. In England and Scotland in 1788, two-thirds of the workers in 143 water-powered cotton mills were described as children.[8]

In the early 1900s, thousands of boys were employed in glass making industries. Glass making was a dangerous and tough job especially without the current technologies. The process of making glass includes intense heat to melt glass (3133ーF). When the boys are at work, they are exposed to this heat. This could cause eye trouble, lung aliments, heat exhaustion, cut, and burns. Since workers were paid by the piece, they had to work productively for hours without a break. Since furnaces had to be constantly burning, there were night shifts from 5:00 P.M. to 3:00 A.M. Many factory owners preferred boys under 16 years of age.[

In the 1990s every country in the world except for Somalia and the United States became a signatory to the Convention on the Rights of the Child, or CRC. Somalia eventually signed the convention in 2002; the delay of the signing was believed to been due to Somalia not having a government....

Loren

/ Child labor laws updated #8  
Most laws have a grain of good intentions... the problem is in the implementation and interpretation.

I still am not clear on why 4H and FFA were in the discussion.

I started paying into Social Security at age 12... had to get a work permit from the school district to be legal...

Seems this would be highly unusual for kids today... many I know have never been employed as a teen or later.

/ Child labor laws updated #9  
JD in theory would have had to quit putting the little buddy seats in combines etc because they were too high off the ground for a kid. :thumbsup:

Real intelligent goobers we have in the government guess they teach farm machine operation in a classroom or on a handout at the SRS office in Washington. :laughing:

/ Child labor laws updated #10  
There was a thread here about this earlier and it had the actual law included it banned kids from working in feed mils and grain elevators, untill 18,:thumbsup: it had nothing to do with the family farm. Someone needs to bring up the actual law, I know no one would ever make a big thing about a lie!