Is old black powder safe?

/ Is old black powder safe? #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
Many years ago when we moved I had temporarily stashed my .36 Navy cap & ball replica in a large box which the cat decided was a sand box. When it was discovered, the gun was toast.

So I still have half a can of black powder, 40 years old, stored in various places, the last 20 years in our dry pole building, subject to temps from 13 to 100F.

Also many years ago I was told that black powder would deteriorate over time and become unstable & unsafe.

I want to just get rid of it. Is it safe to handle, take it off the shelf, open the can and pour out? If not, what should I do with it?

/ Is old black powder safe? #2  
I know that you can pour water into the can to render the old black powder safe, but I'm not sure about what disposal methods are legal.

/ Is old black powder safe? #3  
I wouldn't use it. I value my guns and saftey too much to take a risk to take a risk on something so relatively cheap.

You will get many opinions on disposal. you may have laws/legislation in your area governing but here I would simply water it into the ground. It is basically sulfer and carbon and as such will be considered a simple fertilizer. Water it into your flower beds.

/ Is old black powder safe? #4  
Dribble it out in a long string and apply a match.:)

/ Is old black powder safe? #5  
My first thought would be to fill the can with water.

Otherwise, I'd pour it out in a line, and light it off with a match. A long thin line, not a pile... It should go fizzle fizzle fizzle down the line.

Or, google black powder supplier, and call one; ask what to do. Maybe one of these companies:
Powder Inc. - Black Powder for shooters, and more
Dixie Gun Works muzzleloading, blackpowder and rare antique gun supplies.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-155821.html
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?topic=22511.0

/ Is old black powder safe? #6  
It is sensitive to moisture. As long as it was sealed tightly, it should still be good. Heat will affect smokeless powders...

So I still have half a can of black powder, 40 years old, stored in various places, the last 20 years in our dry pole building, subject to temps from 13 to 100F.

Last edited:
   / Is old black powder safe? #7  
It is sensitive to moisture. As long as it was sealed tightly, it should still be good. Heat will affect smokeless powders...

As far as I know black powder does not have a shelf life. As long as it was kept dry and sealed in the can, I think it will work just fine.. Smokeless can last a long time too but if subjected to heat it will break down and not smell sweet any more, if it smells like vinegar then time to get rid of it. Black powder is pretty simple stuff. If you want pour a small pile out and light it and see how it reacts. But again I say it is good. If you want to get rid of it, throw it on the lawn, or if you want to get rid of it in a fun way lay a trail and light it.

James K0UA

/ Is old black powder safe? #8  
Pour it on your plants. The potassium nitrate makes great fertilizer, the sulfur will suppress fungus diseases, and the charcoal will store nutrients. The first time you water, the KNO3 will dissolve into the soil and the black powder will be inert.

/ Is old black powder safe? #9  
Just make sure someone doesnt throw a cig in your planting bed :)